Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wvactions
However, in doing multi city availability I can book saver J from LAX-ICN for 80k and then ICN-SYD in saver J for 40k. These are the same flights that if I attempt to book LAX-SYD it will put me in coach for the second leg.
That doesn't sound right. Are you taking into account the +1 departure date for ICN-SYD?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
Originally Posted by Kacee
That doesn't sound right. Are you taking into account the +1 departure date for ICN-SYD?
Yes accounting for the date line change. That is why I found it so strange that the saver booking only allows the first leg in J. I did the same test on numerous dates and got the same total of 120k for J if booked as multi-city.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yes accounting for the date line change. That is why I found it so strange that the saver booking only allows the first leg in J. I did the same test on numerous dates and got the same total of 120k for J if booked as multi-city.
call it in and have them manually price it. I have many issues like this recently and an agent has always been able to price it assuming the inventory is real.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Seems like it's the UA award booking system that isn't taking the date change into account.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
call it in and have them manually price it. I have many issues like this recently and an agent has always been able to price it assuming the inventory is real.
Not surprised the multi-city is pricing as two awards, but am surprised the combination is not showing as a single saver business award when you search LAX-SYD. That's definitely a system error. Hope you're able to get it priced correctly by calling in.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:53 am

How many miles is GF saver to South America? Looks like United doesn't release much space at all. They do release a decent amount of business space though for 55K. Although from what I heard BF isn't worth it soft product wise except just the extra space.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
How many miles is GF saver to South America? Looks like United doesn't release much space at all. They do release a decent amount of business space though for 55K. Although from what I heard BF isn't worth it soft product wise except just the extra space.
where is your To/From?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
That's why for us in Japan the new system has been disastrous and is completely without any value.
We are a small island with one *A carrier and no options, We got royally Smiseked

the old system was genius-you could add on one ways in japan for free..
they also counted as an int leg even though domestic only so could book a yr in advance.
now not so good-though if you have status you can work round it by changing

what is a pain though is the rule for new bookings/ changes within 4days being enforced..
it was there before but not enforced.this is utterly dreadful and makes a mockery of status privilleges.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Hi All,
I apologise if this scenario/question has been addressed up thread but it is a long thread to read through...Looking at booking a Business saver award on ANA for SYD-HND using UA miles. Mrs IainC has enough miles for a one-way SYD-HND business award ticket but not for the return. Is it possible to book two separate one way Business awards with UA for ANA flights using Mrs IainC miles for one leg and using my miles for the return leg?
Thanks,
Iain
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by IainC
Is it possible to book two separate one way Business awards with UA for ANA flights using Mrs IainC miles for one leg and using my miles for the return leg?
Yes no problem.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:42 pm

Yes no problem.
Whoo hoo! Great to know and saves big time on cost of transferring 40,000 miles from my account to Mrs IainC's. Thanks very much Kacee!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by IainC
Whoo hoo! Great to know and saves big time on cost of transferring 40,000 miles from my account to Mrs IainC's. Thanks very much Kacee!
The only thing to look out for is the award from your wife's account will be subject to any applicable change or redeposit fees. Oh wait, I see you're 2MM, so assume her miles are 1K miles as well. Never mind
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
If you booked a ROUND trip to Japan you could add a side trip in Japan to wherever ANA flies .. . i.e. a few days in Okinawa etc, and treat Tokyo as the legal stopover.

But on two x 1 ways not possible AFAIK.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:07 am

The only thing to look out for is the award from your wife's account will be subject to any applicable change or redeposit fees. Oh wait, I see you're 2MM, so assume her miles are 1K miles as well. Never mind
Yes, that's correct Kacee, my wife is 1K by virtue of my status and 2MM.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
If you booked a ROUND trip to Japan you could add a side trip in Japan to wherever ANA flies .. . i.e. a few days in Okinawa etc, and treat Tokyo as the legal stopover.

But on two x 1 ways not possible AFAIK.
Indeed and thank you for the suggestion! It's time to burn Mrs IainC's remaining miles and I have business in Japan so we feel using her miles for a one way Business ANA fare to HND is the best value return. Cheers, Iain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.