Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
My son(my MM companion and I am a first time 1K) flew on an award ticket yesterday. I'm not sure what happened - I think a delay - but he was rebooked on a later flight. It was the first flight of a round trip. When I look at the reservation, that flight shows as Y now instead of XN. Does that mean he might earn miles for the flight ?
Probably yes, but likely no. This is a common irrops rebooking outcome but UA generally catches this in the posting process. In the past, it might have posted as mileage earning but that seems to be getting less common.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Hi Folks, it's been awhile since I've done a "complex" UA award routing. It seems like the new rules have become a complete PITA to figure out. Thanks to UA FT community and MatthewLAX for his write up... I'm now faced with a scenario which I'd like to run by the community first before calling UA and be in "CSR limbo"...

I have a 1 way award that is LAX/SNA-SFO-PVG (connecting SFO, not stopover). The thing that is interesting is that if I book LAX-SFO-PVG, I can get a first class award seat for 80K (LAX-SFO segment in Y).

But I really want SNA since I am 15 minutes away. When I try, it just does not appear as available. MCT is not an issue, because if I force a multi-city, it will show up; of course an additional 10K miles is needed

I can see saver availability for SNA-SFO by itself, so it is frustrating that SNA-SFO-PVG won't come up at 80K even though LAX-SFO-PVG will.

Based on what I've read, I may have luck either doing the following:
1) Book SFO-PVG online, and call UA to have them add SNA-SFO (and hope they don't charge me a phone service charge and/or additional 10,000 miles)
2) Call UA and have them try to book the entire thing directly (and hope that they have a supervisor able to override the additional mileage and waive the phone service charge).

Wondering if anyone has thoughts/experience that can provide some insight.

Thanks.

L2CTW
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:45 am

Just booked an award ticket with help of an agent. The route I was looking for didn't show up on the website. Took over an hour on the phone but agent was able to do it.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Just booked an award ticket with help of an agent. The route I was looking for didn't show up on the website. Took over an hour on the phone but agent was able to do it.
Likewise. A route that was available as a one-way wasn't coming up in the multi-city results. Agent was able to push it through. Was on the phone for an hour twenty. But it got done.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
adding domestic segment for free

Hi. I recently booked an open jaw award ticket online with United MilegePlus:

IND-ORD-NRT-FUK

NRT-ORD-IND

All of the flights except for IND-ORD and ORD-IND are with ANA. The IND-ORD and ORD-IND is of course with United. ORD-NRT is business, NRT-ORD is first class.

It is my understanding that I could have added a flight within Japan to this award ticket for free. I tried online but was never successful. I tried to add FUK-NRT/HND or TTJ-HND. When I add either one of them, the entire search gives me an error.

Is this because there's no award availability between FUK-NRT/HND or TTJ-HND in the time period I looked at (late November).

Or is it the case that this can only be done on the phone?

Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Likely a problem because UA's booking engine has trouble with domestic Japan segments.

The "Excursionist" perk does allow for a trip in the Japan region without additional miles deducted. If you can find that one-way segment then calling in may let you add it in. Or it might not if the system balks for the agents as well. But per the rules it is permitted.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smartini
It is my understanding that I could have added a flight within Japan to this award ticket for free. I tried online but was never successful. I tried to add FUK-NRT/HND or TTJ-HND. When I add either one of them, the entire search gives me an error.

Is this because there's no award availability between FUK-NRT/HND or TTJ-HND in the time period I looked at (late November).
Multi-city searches often have problems. Do a one-way award search from FUK or TTJ to TYO; you should be able to add anything that comes up to your existing reservation by calling.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:46 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by jsloan
Multi-city searches often have problems. Do a one-way award search from FUK or TTJ to TYO; you should be able to add anything that comes up to your existing reservation by calling.
I did do a one-way search, especially for TTJ-HND, that caused an error by itself. I was assuming that the error is because of the lack of award seat availability. Or United engine can't handle Japanese domestic award searches?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Lack of inventory should have no flights returned, not an error.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
reason is your flight is more than 2months out.
can only book dom japan awards within 2months..
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
reason is your flight is more than 2months out.
can only book dom japan awards within 2months..
If that is the case, should I call United later this year and see if they can add a domestic segment to the reservation for free?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
what status are you
you can add it now and change date for free later depending on status..
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:58 pm

I would like to book an award flight with UA miles but on ANA metal. For my life, I can't figure out how to do it. When I use the UA portal and look for award flights on Star Alliance partners the only flights that are available for booking, on any day, any time, any route... are on Air Canada!!! Is that the only Star Alliance partner that UA will permit award booking on?

I am looking at the NYC-Tokyo route.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Budoka
I would like to book an award flight with UA miles but on ANA metal. For my life, I can't figure out how to do it. When I use the UA portal and look for award flights on Star Alliance partners the only flights that are available for booking, on any day, any time, any route... are on Air Canada!!! Is that the only Star Alliance partner that UA will permit award booking on?

I am looking at the NYC-Tokyo route.
UA will happily allow you to book on ANA (NH), provided that NH has released inventory for them. Depending upon when you're looking, inventory can be hard to find, but it does exist. Try searching from each possible international gateway, especially if you're looking to fly in business or first; often, it's the United segments that are difficult to find.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA will happily allow you to book on ANA (NH), provided that NH has released inventory for them. Depending upon when you're looking, inventory can be hard to find, but it does exist. Try searching from each possible international gateway, especially if you're looking to fly in business or first; often, it's the United segments that are difficult to find.
OK.Thanks for the info. I'll keep checking. So basically it is a timing issue in terms of released inventory but when available I should be able to see it on the UA award booking site? Or do I have to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.