Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by elonepb
Going to repost this differently, to see if anyone can help. I'm trying to fly on Jan 2 from CUZ-GPS. The routing I want (first result in paid booking), all available via individual reward segments is:

7:22am: CUZ-LIM
10:32am: LIM-UIO
10:40am+1 (layover): UIO-GPS

For some reason it won't offer this routing to me in the system and United desk can't help either time I've called.

Why does the system want to route me through Bogota to even get close to this? CUZ-LIM-BOG-UIO [layover]-GPS. Or it is offering CUZ-LIM-GYE-UIO [layover]-GPS.

Am I missing something about the structure?
it is quite simple: Supply and Demand. Award availability is best on least desirable flights. That is the reason I can't get a nonstop flight LIM-IAH, but get routed to BOG. It is why my O-class award from. LHR-SFO routes through FRA rather than nonstop.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
it is quite simple: Supply and Demand. Award availability is best on least desirable flights. ...
But OP states there is award availability (as an individual flight) on the more desirable flight.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Today was a good day!!!!

Got the bad weather/change your flights email for my flight.

Changed to the previous day and EI biz MCO direct for ZERO!!!!

For a change I am loving bad weather!!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi. I am a 1K. I am booking some award flights from my sister-in-law and 2 kids. I want to confirm that as a 1K I can cancel any time to include the day before and get the miles put back in my account. Looking at the united site, that seems to be correct, but I wanted to just double check. I plan on booking several flights to get better routing and cancel the ones I do not need. I have plenty of miles to do that.

thanks,

Mike
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rinconmike
Hi. I am a 1K. I am booking some award flights from my sister-in-law and 2 kids. I want to confirm that as a 1K I can cancel any time to include the day before and get the miles put back in my account. Looking at the united site, that seems to be correct, but I wanted to just double check. ...
correct

Originally Posted by rinconmike
... I plan on booking several flights to get better routing and cancel the ones I do not need. ....
UA frowns upon duplicate, speculative booking -- but folks rarely get caught, but it can be ugly.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:05 am

how many award miles will I need for business class from Honolulu to Sydney?

how many award miles will I need for business class from Honolulu to Sydney? (and how what flights will I have to take?)
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Just by choosing Hawaii and Australia on the below link you're looking at 50K each way on the saver level. I'll let other folks here chime in on the best routing. I would guess NH to TYO then connecting onward.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ardTravel.aspx
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
Just by choosing Hawaii and Australia on the below link you're looking at 50K each way on the saver level. I'll let other folks here chime in on the best routing. I would guess NH to TYO then connecting onward.....
Hawaii-SYD will not be UA operated unless connecting back via US Mainland and that routing would be more miles.

If a partner routing - the higher partner rate would apply and there are no standard awards for partner operated segments.

So 60K each way (Partner Business) will be the min. Mainland routing with UA will be 70K.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Just by choosing Hawaii and Australia on the below link you're looking at 50K each way on the saver level. I'll let other folks here chime in on the best routing. I would guess NH to TYO then connecting onward.
Pretty much anything to SYD is going to come down to luck to grab a saver ticket and highly depends on flexibility with dates. A one-stop with OZ is probably best bet, though you may only find one saver for that route. Everything else is typically two stop.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll let other folks here chime in on the best routing. I would guess NH to TYO then connecting onward.
One stop TYO routing to Australia is not really viable in J, as NH rarely (if ever) opens business class award space to SYD.

I concur with prior comment that ICN is probably the most likely option. BKK is also a common routing but will require two stops.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So 60K each way (Partner Business) will be the min. Mainland routing with UA will be 70K.
Interestingly, I see .com offering the YVR routing on AC for 60k.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:12 am

Is there a way to do an award search and specify a specific stopover?

Is there a way to do a flexible award search (doesn't matter the date) and specify a specific stopover?

I need to pick something up in a specific city so even a 3 hour stop is fine, and I've had this city popup as an award itinerary in searches before.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjstallion
Is there a way to do a flexible award search (doesn't matter the date) and specify a specific stopover?

I need to pick something up in a specific city so even a 3 hour stop is fine, and I've had this city popup as an award itinerary in searches before.
In the advanced search ("All Search Options" from the main page), you can pick a "preferred connection" point -- click on "My search preferences" -- or you can use the filters at the bottom of the screen on the search results page.

You can also use multi-city search, but then you will likely be charged extra mileage for the same set of flights.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
USA to Africa award routing question

Haven't used UA miles in a while, I understand some changes (aka downgrades) have been made. I am booked IAD-JNB-CPT at the moment. I am considering two option, wondering if either are legal routings for roundtrip awards, thanks.

1. Build the trip out from A. IAD-JNB-CPT to IAD-JNB-CPT(Stopover)-JNB-MRU(Destination)-JNB-USA or B. IAD-JNB-CPT(Stopover)-JNB-MRU(Destination) OPEN JAW-JNB-USA if the MRU-JNB leg and no MRU-Europe legs open.

or

2. IAD-JNB-CPT(Destination)-JNB-GRU(stopover)-USA

what's the consensus
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
1. Build the trip out from A. IAD-JNB-CPT to IAD-JNB-CPT(Stopover)-JNB-MRU(Destination)-JNB-USA or B. IAD-JNB-CPT(Stopover)-JNB-MRU(Destination) OPEN JAW-JNB-USA if the MRU-JNB leg and no MRU-Europe legs open.

or

2. IAD-JNB-CPT(Destination)-JNB-GRU(stopover)-USA

what's the consensus
If you can find availability on #1, that's your choice. #2 will price as three awards -- US->S Africa, S Africa->S. South America, S. South America -> US. (No free stopover).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K
Is it 2 one-ways or a roundtrip?

The United site explains that the new award system only has "one-way" trips.

" All United awards are one-way
And, because all the awards are one-way, you can mix award types to build the itinerary that fits your needs."

But then in the rules it states:

"You can also book a One-Way Award if you wish to travel one way. If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.

Different award types (Saver and Standard) and cabins may be combined to create a single roundtrip award."

And to add to the confusion, the rules also introduce the Excursionist Perk:

"The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:..."

So, I booked this for 160,000 miles in C:
XXX-ORD-NRT-HAN stopover
HAN-BKK destination
BKK-ICN-SFO-XXX

That is 3 one-way trips with the 2nd trip being 0 miles. But if I fly the first two and then cancel the third:

1. Will I get a refund for trip 3 or will it be forfeited per the "roundtrip" rule?
2. Is the roundtrip reference just left over from the previous system?
3. Will the refund trip 3 and charge me for trip 2?

Has anyone here experienced that scenario?

All my previous trips were booked as one-way since I never needed a stop-over. I have a hunch I should keep doing that and just by a cheap ticket from HAN to BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.