Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Eadward
Just got back from PEK. Had one of my most notable bad FA experiences with Mike on the way over - and good with Anne on the way back. Usually my experiences have been more middle of the road. UA really needs to do some training and in fact weeding out of lousy FA's.
Flying United is like a box of chocolates... (or something).

My last GF experience: the dinner entree was so dinky, I actually ate the Sundae, which (as usual) was hard as a block of ice. As I was nearly bending my spoon to get a chunk off it, one of the FAs from the Business cabn walks by, looks at me and says:

"Little boy has his ice cream!"

Maybe she was trying to be humorous, though I'm still not sure. The problem is she didn't say it with even the hint of a smile or a nice look, so it only sounded really sarcastic. Quite incredible.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
My last GF experience: the dinner entree was so dinky, I actually ate the Sundae, which (as usual) was hard as a block of ice. As I was nearly bending my spoon to get a chunk off it, one of the FAs from the Business cabn walks by, looks at me and says:

Maybe she was trying to be humorous, though I'm still not sure. The problem is she didn't say it with even the hint of a smile or a nice look, so it only sounded really sarcastic. Quite incredible.
I don't know—that sounds like one of those Dada moments in life that I really cherish.

edit: I'm still laughing about that comment. Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited by fumje; Jun 19, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Probably because you were forced to hold your spoon like a dagger to hack away at it like an ice pick to get at the ice cream...
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:48 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond

Incredible... And you were flying GF...

I'm trying to imagine a similar situation if you had been in First on CX, SQ or JAL... but I can't, as service would have been impeccable.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I was on a FRA-IAD flight in J and the salad served to me during lunch was frozen. I could clearly the see the ice on the top as the FA was putting the dressing on it. I mentioned it to the FA whose reply was "Oh, there might be an issue with the chiller" as she pushed her cart to the next row.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I didn't experience nasty FAs myself in premium cabin, I would never believe what I read here. Unfortunately, I did.

It seems part of this is related to workload. On a full BF cabin, it seems they feel they have to rush and get the job done fast. That means any request from the passengers become a bother.

A year ago, I had an FA who treated my seatmate poorly. I was thinking what a racist nasty FA. Then I was on his flight this year when BF was pretty empty and he did a wonderful job. Unfortunately BF is almost always full with upgrades. Of course, one can argue if an FA cannot do his/her job with grace with a full passenger load, how is he/her going to behave when there is an emergency?

I certainly they consider the workload issue with Polaris when it is likely to increase.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Like on LAX-SYD in GF when in the most coddling turned to patronizing tone I got a "Would youuuu like me to make your bed for youuuu??"
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
Incredible... And you were flying GF...

I'm trying to imagine a similar situation if you had been in First on CX, SQ or JAL... but I can't, as service would have been impeccable.
NH F: FAs fawning over how enthusiastic and eager I was to have the JPN meal.
UA J: FA snarls her nose when I order questioning if I actually like the JPN food.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, MP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Had a very similar experience AMS-ORD - horrible interaction with an FA. Treated my spouse and another passenger like complete garbage for making routine requests. I did write to customer service and of course......got a boilerplate response and absolutely no additional follow-up. UA does not give two ..... about their customers and has absolutely no incentive for weeding out the bad apples. Preferred carrier for my company is UA so I'm out of luck for selecting alternate carrier - therefore I just grin and bear it. Just a shame that the union has the corporate office {redacted} and not a damn thing they can do crappy FAs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2016 at 9:43 pm Reason: language
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The scary thing is that there is supposed to be this re-focus on service...

Too bad we are prohibited from recording the crew. Otherwise, I bet there can be some pretty interesting videos

Where is Undercover Boss when you need it
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors , Marriott Silver, Starwood Silver, Hertz Gold
Thanks to everyone for the great response. UA Insider also contacted me. Without trying to be judgmental, she did seem past retirement age so perhaps the act of collecting a tray was too overwhelming. We had and have had some wonderful FA's on most of our flights and I have sent a number of compliment emails to UA on previous flights. We're traveling again in fall but I booked paid F on AA after this experience. Guess I'll have something to compare.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Like on LAX-SYD in GF when in the most coddling turned to patronizing tone I got a "Would youuuu like me to make your bed for youuuu??"
I had that exact offering last year on SFO-SYD, along with "and sing you all a lullaby?"
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
NH F: FAs fawning over how enthusiastic and eager I was to have the JPN meal.
UA J: FA snarls her nose when I order questioning if I actually like the JPN food.
Yes, I had this experience too last year, ORD-NRT. FA asks if I actually ordered the Japanese meal, with the sort of squint of displeasure. I was just stunned and almost returned the snark by answering in Japanese (I'm white) but just held my tongue.

I did have to make a special request for my chopsticks as the meal came without any eating utensils either.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Firing someone for not wearing ID may sound a little harsh. But, unfortunately the worst actors are precisely the ones who try to hide their identities.

My sister-in-law was recently on a United flight with an FA who was behaving particularly horribly. She didn't complain or anything, but the FA saw her looking towards her badge. The FA quickly and pointedly turned it around so nobody could see it.

Again, just a unique number would be adequate. No need to compromise anyone's privacy.
The funny thing yesterday (IAH-LHR) is that the non-rev crew couldn't display their IDs prominently enough so that they could board ahead of everyone else with their 3 items of carryon each.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I have never been on the receiving end of rogue UA FA behavior but I have seen it delivered to other pax. It's funny the only airline I have seen this on while in INtl J or F has been on UA. I have flown Intl. J or F on each US Legacy carrier and about 15 other carriers.

I have had great FAs on UA but have seen some downright nasty ones also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.