Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Topic Check

This thread is discussion about UA service levels and UA FAs.
Generic discussion of unions (a highly divisive topic) is not appropriate in the UA forum discussion and is better as an OMNI forum subject.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
SECOND TOPIC CHECK

Please read the quoted post above from my moderator colleague

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Baze
... I want professional and courteous. Nice is a bonus.
I'm not sure it's a just a bonus, because all the better airlines provide it.

I just travelled across Europe last week -- Lufthansa, Swiss, Aegean, Easyjet. And to a one, every single FA was nice -- very nice in fact. I'm sure it's a requirement for these airlines, because it's very consistent. I suspect the typical United FA wouldn't get hired at these airlines or wouldn't last a week if they did.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Maybe I have a different definiton of nice, but I know I don't feel welcome or appreciated if the staff aren't nice to me. Service delivery encompasses empathy and pleasantness.

I think UA's service is not necessarily failing because of 'horrific' FAs who are a small minority but because there is a general lack of attention to what makes a customer feel appreciated and welcome. And I guarantee you that a smile and apparent eagerness to make the customer happy is a big part of that.

A comparison to NH is pointless - NH is Japanese and their culture has different standards both in terms of defining appropriate behaviour for service staff and what constitutes excellent service. It's not uncommon for globally operating corporations to have entirely different service policies for different markets and I know from experience that Japan is approached differently than the U.S. or Europe.
One can be pleasant - doesn't necessarily mean friendly.

I don't understand why comparisons to NH are pointless - I think it's very relevant. For decades, the US embraced and adopted countless Japanese business methodologies for manufacturing and business operations - why is it such a big issue to adopt their service standards as well? It doesn't mean cloning Japanese FA behavior, but certainly applying standards and consistency to service delivery would be a huge step forward for UA, and I would say essential for making the Polaris product achieve its goals.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ani90
I think it has to be made clear that what the OP experienced is very atypical and in no way is reflective of UA. Many of us travel tens of thousands of miles a year with UA and never experience that.
As you can see, I had my fair share of UA rides ... and yes in >2M miles, I only encountered about 7 horrible FAs. Always dutifully wrote in to complain.

Overall you are likely right. And if UA introduces PE and fixes the food, I'd be back for a try.
Originally Posted by ani90
But lets assume the FA is always like this, such people can be anywhere, in any airline..
Here I strongly disagree. Any FA pulls this stunt on an Asian carrier, they'd be inundated with abuse. And then, should an investigation follow, terminated immediately.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 25, 2016 at 10:05 pm Reason: Please quote the member's name when quoting multiple parts of their post
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Baze
Can you show me one union contract for a customer facing job where is says 50 of your job is to be nice? I doubt it. I want professional and courteous. Nice is a bonus.
This thread isn't about the FAs being nice, it's about them performing a basic level of service they are required to perform without yelling at passengers. It's about the FAs handing out ordered drinks, and not punishing passengers they dislike by withholding service.

Both of which I expect or the FA should be fired on the spot. How the passenger act in those situations is beyond the point, the FAs should be professional regardless of what some posters here think.

I don't have to smile or talk friendly with them to get service or have my drinks delivered anymore than I need to be nice to the nurse and ask her about her grandkids to see a doctor in the ER. If the FAs don't manage their jobs, well they can sod off then.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by theddo
Both of which I expect or the FA should be fired on the spot. How the passenger act in those situations is beyond the point, the FAs should be professional regardless of what some posters here think.
That simply isn't going to happen, nor should it. If you have one bad day at work, should you be fired on the spot?

What any business that has a large number of its employees in a customer-facing role needs is the ability to select the right people to occupy those positions, and if someone who was originally successful in those positions becomes unsuccessful, the business needs to be able to either retrain/motivate them to change, or find them positions elsewhere.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Interesting thread - it made me go and find what to expect in United First -https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/first.aspx which includes a wide selection of complimentary inflight beverages is available throughout your flight. Then again the whole description looks aspirational - the new seat description and the description of entertainment are not a slam dunk.

Consider people who buy up or buy first expecting anything described. And then add surly service. For me(however I got into first or business), I have had less than friendly service more often than not in the last year.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by halls120
That simply isn't going to happen, nor should it. If you have one bad day at work, should you be fired on the spot?

What any business that has a large number of its employees in a customer-facing role needs is the ability to select the right people to occupy those positions, and if someone who was originally successful in those positions becomes unsuccessful, the business needs to be able to either retrain/motivate them to change, or find them positions elsewhere.

That's true in general, but where is UA supposed to transfer the FAs who don't interact well with customers? Surely not the call centers!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I don't have to smile or talk friendly with them to get service or have my drinks delivered anymore than I need to be nice to the nurse and ask her about her grandkids to see a doctor in the ER. If the FAs don't manage their jobs, well they can sod off then.
Of course you don't have to smile; it's a free country. But expect to be treated with the attitude you project. ... And your ER example is particularly apropos. I was at the ER last weekend after lopping off part of my thumb with a mandolin.

Anywho - I was generally pleasant and smiled at the nurse and - imagine this - she was pleasant back. As was the doctor. And the rest of the staff. Wow. I even heard her comment in the hallway to a coworker "My day just got better! I needed that."

Cordiality and friendliness is a two-way street. Acting like a petulant spoiled brat (which I see far far too often in F) reeks of DYWKIA and leads to a lifetime of misery.

Really, it doesn't hurt anyone to smile once in a while.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
One can be pleasant - doesn't necessarily mean friendly.

I don't understand why comparisons to NH are pointless - I think it's very relevant. For decades, the US embraced and adopted countless Japanese business methodologies for manufacturing and business operations - why is it such a big issue to adopt their service standards as well? It doesn't mean cloning Japanese FA behavior, but certainly applying standards and consistency to service delivery would be a huge step forward for UA, and I would say essential for making the Polaris product achieve its goals.
Because Japanese customers respond differently than American customers to the way service is delivered. Hence the delivery is adjusted. Americans appreciate enthusiastic and very positive service approaches, that doesn't really suit the Japanese (and it is wise to tone it down for Europeans as well).

If you read reviews and reports on here, it's a recurring occurrence that FAs with Japanese airlines - but also say Lufthansa or SAS - are perceived as 'cold' even if very professional. That's because of different cultural expectation levels and the simple fact that a German or Japanese person is simply rarely if ever going to be as easy-going and warm to strangers as many Americans are (and expect others to be).

But UA's customers and frequent flyers are mostly Americans and if you look at service delivery, you're not trying to deliver service suited to the Japanese mentality, but the American mentality.

And if I notice something from this discussion, it's the fact we're arguing about 'nice' vs 'courteous', 'friendly vs pleasant' (as if they weren't synonyms) which is ridiculous.

The FA white knights are arguing from a minimalist 'as little service as we can get away with' perspective rather than any intention of being service champions. And that's the problem when you have staff who have no interest or incentive to do anything beyond meeting the most basic most rudimentary expectations rather than showing some pride and eagerness to be the best.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Because Japanese customers respond differently than American customers to the way service is delivered. Hence the delivery is adjusted. Americans appreciate enthusiastic and very positive service approaches, that doesn't really suit the Japanese (and it is wise to tone it down for Europeans as well).

If you read reviews and reports on here, it's a recurring occurrence that FAs with Japanese airlines - but also say Lufthansa or SAS - are perceived as 'cold' even if very professional. That's because of different cultural expectation levels and the simple fact that a German or Japanese person is simply rarely if ever going to be as easy-going and warm to strangers as many Americans are (and expect others to be).

But UA's customers and frequent flyers are mostly Americans and if you look at service delivery, you're not trying to deliver service suited to the Japanese mentality, but the American mentality.

And if I notice something from this discussion, it's the fact we're arguing about 'nice' vs 'courteous', 'friendly vs pleasant' (as if they weren't synonyms) which is ridiculous.

The FA white knights are arguing from a minimalist 'as little service as we can get away with' perspective rather than any intention of being service champions. And that's the problem when you have staff who have no interest or incentive to do anything beyond meeting the most basic most rudimentary expectations rather than showing some pride and eagerness to be the best.
Wow - finally someone who gets it - Asian carriers and consumers expect proper service and get it because that's the way it should be for someone who pays $5k to fly over an ocean - while US carriers and consumers expect the least and hope for the best - the cultural and business differences could not be more different.... Most here try and make things seem the same - thanks for recognizing that delivering proper service isn't a goal - it's SOP....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..Americans appreciate enthusiastic and very positive service approaches, that doesn't really suit the Japanese (and it is wise to tone it down for Europeans as well)..
That is so true! During my first few stays in the US, I always found the waiters 'rude' as they interrupted us when talking to colleagues or clients. Took me a while to realise that no one else took offence ...
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Of course you don't have to smile; it's a free country. But expect to be treated with the attitude you project. ... And your ER example is particularly apropos. I was at the ER last weekend after lopping off part of my thumb with a mandolin.

Anywho - I was generally pleasant and smiled at the nurse and - imagine this - she was pleasant back. As was the doctor. And the rest of the staff. Wow. I even heard her comment in the hallway to a coworker "My day just got better! I needed that."

Cordiality and friendliness is a two-way street. Acting like a petulant spoiled brat (which I see far far too often in F) reeks of DYWKIA and leads to a lifetime of misery.

Really, it doesn't hurt anyone to smile once in a while.
So if you wouldn't have been smiling had it been okay for those people to ignore you? 'Cause I cannot in any way effect how the FAs act or how their company tells them to act, I can have an effect on the order the patients are seen in my ER.

We aren't talking about an extra desert here - we are talking about a basic level of service like drinks - which I fully expect to be served quickly, and not depending of if the FA likes me or not.

If I have one bad day at work I very well might get fired. If your job is customer facing, deal with it or find a new job.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread isn't about the FAs being nice, it's about them performing a basic level of service they are required to perform without yelling at passengers. It's about the FAs handing out ordered drinks, and not punishing passengers they dislike by withholding service.

I'm not the one saying they have to be nice. Not sure why you quoted me then said what you said.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
I have and do fire people immediately for unacceptable behavior

As a data point, I am a business owner and I have terminated people immediately for grossly failing to follow documented process or being extremely rude to customers without just cause. When I have done this in the past, I have personally seen the unacceptable behavior and have taken immediate action to address it and terminate the employee.

As a business owner if I don't set the tone of what is an acceptable way to treat customers and what is not, my staff will not maintain the service standard I desire. On the flip side when I have seen customers treat my employees in an unacceptable manner, I have told them I no longer want to do business with them and I terminated the business relationship.

By the way my staff is very supportive of this practice, they want the rotten apples removed from the barrel whether they are employees or customers.

I believe the lack a true management on aircraft creates a situation which allows for substandard performance. If it were my organization every flight would have an FA who was also a fully empowered supervisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.