Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
While UA may be an easy and justifiable target, I recall a return from Europe (MAD/DFW, Award tickets, my wife in 1st, I in Business), in which an AA FA (Middle age encroaching at what seemed to her an unacceptable rate) whose attitude and conduct transcended the acceptable and closely approached the boorish and offensive.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Back in topic.. I was in GF IAD-ZRH had the most wonderful f/a in GF. Attentive and genuine in her desire to help. The good news is there is a few of them out there. Too bad the large number of bad ones overshadows the good.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 2016 at 3:49 pm Reason: OT material deleted;discuss the issue, not the posters
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by bryandshan
We're traveling again in fall but I booked paid F on AA after this experience. Guess I'll have something to compare.
I was in paid F on AA ORD-LHR a couple weeks ago and the FA told her colleague, in the galley maybe 5 feet away from me "he's full of S**t" - so...grass isn't always greener!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've often had FA begin our interactions with a bit of snarl, indifference, or other downright rude behavior. 90% of the time that is correctable with smiles, compliments, and the ability to engage them in conversation that does not relate directly to them servicing me.

Most people are not mean or rude. But sometimes your job sucks, and a FA is in the service business where they have to provide service to the same group of people in a cramped space for hours at a time. The problem is not the UA hires the wrong people and the EU and Asian based airlines hire the right ones. It's that the work environment, primarily based on the union, ruins incentive and eliminates consequences. If we treat those affected with dignity, often they recognize this and appreciate it.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by gold23
I've often had FA begin our interactions with a bit of snarl, indifference, or other downright rude behavior. 90% of the time that is correctable with smiles, compliments, and the ability to engage them in conversation that does not relate directly to them servicing me.

Most people are not mean or rude. But sometimes your job sucks, and a FA is in the service business where they have to provide service to the same group of people in a cramped space for hours at a time. The problem is not the UA hires the wrong people and the EU and Asian based airlines hire the right ones. It's that the work environment, primarily based on the union, ruins incentive and eliminates consequences. If we treat those affected with dignity, often they recognize this and appreciate it.
I don't expect to have to smile, compliment or engage a FA on an airline to not get snarl or indifference or rudeness.

If that's how they act they should be fired, there's nothing more to it.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:49 pm

Similar FlyerTalk thread on AA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-blanket.html

Just to show the grass is not greener.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver
These stories just make me so sad for everyone involved. Getting to fly up front is such a treat for me that if I got a mean FA it would be so disappointing. Earlier this year when I got moved to GF when I was downgraded from J on another flight, I was having a horrible day (had phone stolen in Paris the night before and got about 2 hours of sleep as a result, plus some other stuff). I will never forget how nice that FA was to me, she reminded me of my mom taking care of me when I'm sick. Really just did everything to make that day better for me. I'm sure I would've been a wreck had I gotten someone like some of you describe that day.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TMOliver
While UA may be an easy and justifiable target, I recall a return from Europe (MAD/DFW, Award tickets, my wife in 1st, I in Business), in which an AA FA (Middle age encroaching at what seemed to her an unacceptable rate) whose attitude and conduct transcended the acceptable and closely approached the boorish and offensive.
The worst FA I ever encountered was on US on a FRA-PIT flight years ago.

Every bad experience I've had - not all that many - was with a FA who clearly didn't want to be doing the job he/she was paid to do. Thanks to certain rules, none of the legacy US carriers can do anything about this kind of employee.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by theddo
I don't expect to have to smile, compliment or engage a FA on an airline to not get snarl or indifference or rudeness.

I completely agree. The problem is that in most instances they can't be fired (or at least the process is quite difficult). They have little incentive to provide stellar service. The culture and the process is broken. As such, I approach each flight with low expectations. It stinks, and I often choose to fly international carriers when riding up front because of this, but it is what it is.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Last week, sitting at the hotel bar enjoying a beer with a colleague when a lady sits down next to us. Turns out she is a new hire for Envoy Air (1 year in), so we strike up a conversation about her work.

She mentions how she hates serving passengers and always hopes there is enough turbulence to require the FA's to stay seated during the flight. She described all passengers as "retards" and her only interest was meeting a pilot that she could marry, hopefully soon. I cannot believe a company hired her with such a attitude toward customers, and I can only imagine her attitude will get worse over time...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Back in topic.. I was in GF IAD-ZRH had the most wonderful f/a in GF. Attentive and genuine in her desire to help. The good news is there is a few of them out there. Too bad the large number of bad ones overshadows the good.
Flew most of 2014 and FH2015 on those glorious 67I 3-class IAD-ZRH-IAD. Always had a lovely experience in F & C. Due to last Summer's Ops meltdown, we switched to LX. It did NOT feel like home to me, in service or the lie flat. Still miss those days!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: ______
Hah reminds me of the time I flew BA in J and this older male FA was rude to me the whole time, forgot/ignored my drinks, gave up my meal choice ( I was in the seated at the front I asked for the beef he proceeded down the row then minutes later said theyre out of beef I noticed the passengers behind me getting beef later on) and kept referring to my girlfriend as my "friend" (we're interracial)
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by gold23
I completely agree. The problem is that in most instances they can't be fired (or at least the process is quite difficult). They have little incentive to provide stellar service. The culture and the process is broken. As such, I approach each flight with low expectations. It stinks, and I often choose to fly international carriers when riding up front because of this, but it is what it is.
Which isn't an acceptable response. They work in the service industry, if they cannot perform to those standards they should be fired at once.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:31 pm Reason: per earlier mod topic check reminder
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Last week, sitting at the hotel bar enjoying a beer with a colleague when a lady sits down next to us. Turns out she is a new hire for Envoy Air (1 year in), so we strike up a conversation about her work.

She mentions how she hates serving passengers and always hopes there is enough turbulence to require the FA's to stay seated during the flight. She described all passengers as "retards" and her only interest was meeting a pilot that she could marry, hopefully soon. I cannot believe a company hired her with such a attitude toward customers, and I can only imagine her attitude will get worse over time...
Imagine this young lady twenty years from now, approaching middle age, with significant protections from the union for poor service or inappropriate remarks. Add a bitter overlay of having failed in her primary mission-marriage to a pilot. Toxic.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by theddo

"You get what you give ..."

I often wonder why I don't seem to encounter these horrific FAs. I may now know why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.