Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Welcome to the UA of today - and why i'm leaving - people that hate their employer will never be able to do a good job....
Totally agree. UA runs such an inefficient and incompetent airline. I tried to leave them since my status last expired two years ago and moved to be AA ExPLT the last two years. But I can't completely severe ties because in the 5 trips I've taken with UA since, only one was without hiccup and they've comp'd me with $4,20 in vouchers and 3000 euros (EC261) in these 5 trips (I have 5 people in my family). Last took a flight with them in May and the FA talked down to me every time like she owned me or something.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to the UA of today - and why i'm leaving - people that hate their employer will never be able to do a good job....
I sensed they hated us, not their employer, and in any case this was an anomaly is a recent run of great crews. The issue is that they still exist.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I know anecdote is not data, but just wanted to chime in with my own personal experience: I've been flying CO and now UA for many decades, and my experience with FAs has been nearly unanimously positive. I have never once seen overtly affirmatively rude or nasty service, like reported here. I have definitely seen a range of proactiveness. Today I was on a PS flight in row 1, and listened as an FA said to the food service guy (provisioning was late, so we were already on the plane), "Can you please see if you have a nice silver coffee pot? I really like to serve my passengers coffee from a nice pot!" And the food guy found such a pot in his truck, and the FA said, "Thank you! This will be much nicer for serving the passengers!" There are lots of FAs like this at United.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by physioprof
I know anecdote is not data, but just wanted to chime in with my own personal experience: I've been flying CO and now UA for many decades, and my experience with FAs has been nearly unanimously positive. I have never once seen overtly affirmatively rude or nasty service, like reported here. I have definitely seen a range of proactiveness. Today I was on a PS flight in row 1, and listened as an FA said to the food service guy (provisioning was late, so we were already on the plane), "Can you please see if you have a nice silver coffee pot? I really like to serve my passengers coffee from a nice pot!" And the food guy found such a pot in his truck, and the FA said, "Thank you! This will be much nicer for serving the passengers!" There are lots of FAs like this at United.
Totally agree - the problem is that this is the exception / not the rule....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, there are, and then I had the crew I had this morning!!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I am not disagreeing with that, I am arguing that for great service you're going to need a bit of sugar on top of proper procedure in a U.S. context in particular. Procedure is nice, but procedure delivered with a dour face and minimalist communication isn't going to cut it.
While you are certainly right in the average, this would certainly be good enough for me. A more frequent drink delivery and faster collection after the meal would do it for me. I just don't interact with the crews that much.

My biggest beef is still with the products of the airline itself ... especially the absence of beef on intl. routes ....
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: *

Heaven forbid the best employees work the best flights - instead we get Who has survived the longest / so sad...
What exactly are the "best flights"? So those who are not on "best flights" deserve the worse employees?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:58 am

Today I was on a PS flight in row 1, and listened as an FA said to the food service guy (provisioning was late, so we were already on the plane), "Can you please see if you have a nice silver coffee pot? I really like to serve my passengers coffee from a nice pot!" And the food guy found such a pot in his truck, and the FA said, "Thank you! This will be much nicer for serving the passengers!" There are lots of FAs like this at United.
This is a great story and there are amazing FA's out there, I can also imagine a surly FA reading this and being horrified that this makes them look bad and if they got the chance they would intimidate any FA who provides an extra level of service.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:26 am

I've always thought of it this was as well.... The nicer the plane, the more comfortable the layout, the better mood passengers are in once they board. The tighter the plane, the more we're squeezed into our space (in any of the cabins), the more we need to gate lice to ensure we have a place for our belongings...the more stressed we are once we board.

This is no excuse for some of the behavior reported (and which I've witnessed countless times), but it almost certainly contributes. When there are 150+ passengers who just completed a stressful boarding process and are shoehorned into a seat, a few of them are going to speak to FA aggressively when they are instructed. Human nature is to put up a defense.

As I've said, it's MUCH more UA and the process and procedures than the individual FA. They are the product of the broken system.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by gold23
They are the product of the broken system.
They are part of the broken system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.