Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
previous thread UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Experiences [Archive]

Related thread: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?

UA Premier Silvers have free access to E- at check-in for themselves and 1 companion
UA Premier Gold have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and 1 companion
o If Silvers or Golds have more than one companion on their PNR, they will need to call to get their allowed access or split their PNR
UA Premier Platinum, 1Ks and GS have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and up to 8 companion

If the companions are off-PNR, it will require a call. Additionally, you will need to watch the companions' setas because they may be moved to E- on schedule/aircraft changes.
Print Wikipost

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Probably a stupid question- sorry but I did search and didn't find the exact answer

But is there a thread of data points of how much people paid for (I have no status on UA) E+ upgrades on a economy ticket? I have seen them for usually around $50 (on domestic flights) but never been able to justify x2 when you count my wife for a 2-3hr flight when they dont even give you a free drink or two like the competitors do. I have a ton of Chase UR points and was looking to book a trip to Korea with wife and infant son converting UR->MP and snagging some saver award E- space and curious what a realistic expectation to pay to upgrade to E+ would be from E-.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't believe there is a thread, but loose data points are something like $20-50 for shorter flights, $100 for a West Coast midcon, $150 for a TCON and $250 for an overwater flight (probably less for East Coast TATL). Very easy to go make some dummy bookings and collect data -- if you have routes/dates in mind just look at them on the United site.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I don't believe there is a thread, but loose data points are something like $20-50 for shorter flights, $100 for a West Coast midcon, $150 for a TCON and $250 for an overwater flight (probably less for East Coast TATL). Very easy to go make some dummy bookings and collect data -- if you have routes/dates in mind just look at them on the United site.
Great thanks. Debating just buying 3 E- seats with miles and paying for the E+ upgrade or getting in 2 in business and holding him to ICN. He's 5 mos now, did MSO-PDX-SFO-IST-CPH and then CDG-JFK-PDX-MSO in business and was tolerable for the most part but he'll be closer to a year at that point so I dont know about holding him again for the 34hrs or whatever the total travel time entails from our Podunk airport that requires at least 3-4 connections to get anywhere
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DG206
Great thanks. Debating just buying 3 E- seats with miles and paying for the E+ upgrade or getting in 2 in business and holding him to ICN. He's 5 mos now, did MSO-PDX-SFO-IST-CPH and then CDG-JFK-PDX-MSO in business and was tolerable for the most part but he'll be closer to a year at that point so I dont know about holding him again for the 34hrs or whatever the total travel time entails from our Podunk airport that requires at least 3-4 connections to get anywhere
If you book the business class ticket, note that a lap infant will be 10% of the business class fare.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... But is there a thread of data points of how much people paid for (I have no status on UA) E+ upgrades on a economy ticket?......
As there is some variation on pricing --- certain seats are more than others, some routes of the same length may vary a littlee and there does seem to be a small factor based on how empty E+ section is, $25-$30 a flight hour will ballpark it with a cap in the $250-$300 range.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

If you book the business class ticket, note that a lap infant will be 10% of the business class fare.
Thats why I am wondering if E+ is $250x3 is cheaper than business at 10% which at $5,000 r/t it is actually

I am not super familiar with UA so thanks for the tip on dummy booking wasnt sure if the option showed up there or after the purchase
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thats why I am wondering if E+ is $250x3 is cheaper than business at 10% which at $5,000 r/t it is actually....
That would be $250x3 each way. At that price point an annual subscription for you and up to 8 companions anywhere UA flies would be cheaper at $1,300 and it is good for a year.

The business seats, if available, would be a lot more miles (2x for the adults and the lap child fee)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That would be $250x3 each way. At that price point an annual subscription for you and up to 8 companions anywhere UA flies would be cheaper at $1,300 and it is good for a year.

The business seats, if available, would be a lot more miles (2x for the adults and the lap child fee)
^^
Thank you, thats what I am talking about! I didnt realize E+ scripts had a global option
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Is it typical for E+ to go down after ticketing within hours.

Bought flights today, paid for e+ within minutes of ticketing. About 4 hours later, when to check the seat map and noticed the feature said “economy plus for xxx”. The price was about $30 cheaper each way. Now I know prices change in the industry, but for E+ fee to reduce $60 round trip a few hours later? Coincidence or a scheme where they get the people who know already want E+ ahead of time to pay a higher price
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Coincidence. It moves around a lot, unpredictably.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for the seemingly stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Does Economy Plus on UA include free drinks and a snack like it does on many (most? all?) other airlines? I can't find a reference to it on the website but it seems strange if it doesn't.

I'm on fairly short flights (SFO-PHX and back) and I got it for free (recently matched to Gold status) so I don't really care that much... I'm just curious.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Does Economy Plus on UA include free drinks and a snack like it does on many (most? all?) other airlines? I can't find a reference to it on the website but it seems strange if it doesn't.

I'm on fairly short flights (SFO-PHX and back) and I got it for free (recently matched to Gold status) so I don't really care that much... I'm just curious.
If you are talking about an alcohol drink and a snack that is more than a bag of pretzels or a cookie, the answer is no for flights like SFO-PHX and back. I think that on transcons they do serve food in Economy +.

However, one time on a 2 hours UAX flight, my wife did get a free Tapas box when she was only Gold. I guess it depends on the FA. And it totally confused my wife.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The entire Economy cabin gets free pretzels (or equivalent snack) and soft drinks. If you mean alcoholic drinks and more substantial meals, those are limited to E+ on p.s. routes (EWR-SFO/LAX and BOS-SFO) and Economy on long-haul international flights (beer and wine only). On most flights, E+ is merely the same service as Economy.

FWIW, not sure which other airlines you're comparing to - most "extra legroom" sections or seats don't have additional benefits, although DL (and AS? did they carry forward VX?) are notable exceptions.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:40 pm

... Does Economy Plus on UA include free drinks and a snack like it does on many (most? all?) other airlines? ....
Be careful not to confuse EconomyPlus with Premium Economy. There are very few airlines with E+ equivalents. DL does offer free drinks in their tiny C+ section but access is much more limited.

Note UA does provide a free drink and hot meal for E+ on SFO<>EWR/BOS or LAX<>EWR

Premium Econiomy due generally provide drink and food and I would suspect Premium Plus will also (appears the same as Business)
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
FWIW, not sure which other airlines you're comparing to - most "extra legroom" sections or seats don't have additional benefits, although DL (and AS? did they carry forward VX?) are notable exceptions.
On DL "comfort+", AA "main cabin extra", and AS "premium", you get free snacks and alcoholic drinks (DL requires that the flight be over 350 miles). These are all the equivalent of UA's "economy plus"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.