Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
previous thread UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Experiences [Archive]

Related thread: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?

UA Premier Silvers have free access to E- at check-in for themselves and 1 companion
UA Premier Gold have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and 1 companion
o If Silvers or Golds have more than one companion on their PNR, they will need to call to get their allowed access or split their PNR
UA Premier Platinum, 1Ks and GS have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and up to 8 companion

If the companions are off-PNR, it will require a call. Additionally, you will need to watch the companions' setas because they may be moved to E- on schedule/aircraft changes.
Print Wikipost

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
United credit card holders will be in Group 2 along with Silvers and Star Alliance Silvers. All other premiers, *Gold and those in Polaris and PremiumPlus will board before you.

E plus is closer to the front and gives more legroom. Sometimes the middle e plus stays open as not a desired "seat" upgrade but as premiers can book those for free couples may take them.
jamesbondc likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:24 am

Depends which united card you have. Eg United gateway no AF card doesn't include priority boarding, United Explorer does.

Economy plus is just extra legroom (3-4inches or bulkhead ~more~ legroom).

Are you sure you're not asking about premium economy? Generally economy plus costs 29-299 more per leg(long haul would be 150-299). united also offers buyup to premium economy, as low as $300 . Premium economy is different (wider/recline/legroom/features) seat with different meal
SPN Lifer and jamesbondc like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Depends which united card you have. Eg United gateway no AF card doesn't include priority boarding, United Explorer does.

Economy plus is just extra legroom (3-4inches or bulkhead ~more~ legroom).

Are you sure you're not asking about premium economy? Generally economy plus costs 29-299 more per leg(long haul would be 150-299). united also offers buyup to premium economy, as low as $300 . Premium economy is different (wider/recline/legroom/features) seat with different meal
I have the United Explorer card. Economy plus upgrade I think was around $300 and Premium economy was higher. I went ahead and paid to upgrade to Economy plus even through I am not a tall person but thought it might be more comfortable compared to economy seat.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:02 am

I’m assuming no UA status? Otherwise you’ll be able to choose E+ for free at check-in for Silvers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by jamesbondc
through I am not a tall person but thought it might be more comfortable compared to economy seat.
You might be disappointed...

The premium economy buyup is dynamic priced, may fall closer to $300+ during day of check-in (depends how many open PE and J seats are left). Ymmv of course
Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesbondc
went ahead and paid to upgrade to Economy plus even through I am not a tall person but thought it might be more comfortable compared to economy seat.
Of course, it is your money.
But I think that your decision defeated the purpose of this thread. If I were you, Premium Plus buy up would be the choice, which offers a much better value.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Of course, it is your money.
But I think that your decision defeated the purpose of this thread. If I were you, Premium Plus buy up would be the choice, which offers a much better value.
Won't the OP get a refund of the economy plus fee automatically if they upgrade to Premium Plus later anyway?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
Won't the OP get a refund of the economy plus fee automatically if they upgrade to Premium Plus later anyway?
Yes. There is absolutely no downside to purchasing E+ if your options are E+ or PE. Of course, if the OP was expecting anything beyond extra legroom, E+ may be a disappointment.

OP: Keep watching for a PE upgrade, and remember that you get the E+ fee back, so include that in your decision tree.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Doppy
Yes he would.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.