Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
previous thread UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Experiences [Archive]

Related thread: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?

UA Premier Silvers have free access to E- at check-in for themselves and 1 companion
UA Premier Gold have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and 1 companion
o If Silvers or Golds have more than one companion on their PNR, they will need to call to get their allowed access or split their PNR
UA Premier Platinum, 1Ks and GS have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and up to 8 companion

If the companions are off-PNR, it will require a call. Additionally, you will need to watch the companions' setas because they may be moved to E- on schedule/aircraft changes.
Print Wikipost

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by opus2002
Is there a best time to buy E+ seats? I am thinking X number of days before departure. I got a PHL - YYC via DEN flight in July.
If you know you’re going to buy it, buy it now to get the seat you want.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is there a best time to buy E+ seats? I am thinking X number of days before departure. I got a PHL - YYC via DEN flight in July.
The prices do not vary that much and the best seats go early -- if the goal is get anything but middles, better to buy while they are available.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Thanks. The flight from DEN to YYC is only 2.5 hours, so I am not sure it is worth the $37 fee. (Four traveling ... 2 adults and 2 kids.) On the other hand, if it makes the difference between having an empty middle seat or not, then it is worth it.

I usually book seats A, C, D, F on 3 - 3 seating planes. Does seating in E+ increase the chance of empty middle seats?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Thanks. The flight from DEN to YYC is only 2.5 hours, so I am not sure it is worth the $37 fee. (Four traveling ... 2 adults and 2 kids.) On the other hand, if it makes the difference between having an empty middle seat or not, then it is worth it.

I usually book seats A, C, D, F on 3 - 3 seating planes. Does seating in E+ increase the chance of empty middle seats?
I have not flown that exact route but my flights last year rarely had an empty middle seat. BE fares typically end up with the middle seats and often these are not allocated until after checkin.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On DEN-YYC in July, I suspect there is zero chance of empty middle seats.

That said, passengers without seat assignments are generally seated first into E- and then into E+, front to back; so the last four seats to get filled are often the middle seats in the two rows in front of the exit row. Keep in mind that the row immediately in front of the exit row doesn’t recline.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:15 pm

Worth paid Economy Plus upgrade on this flight (SFO-EWR)?

Have an upcoming flight next week on the 777-200 from SFO-EWR booked in economy. Price is $84pp for 2 people to upgrade to Economy Plus. Is that worth the upgrade at present?
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IMO - YES
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How full is Economy vs. Economy Plus? That will probably be the biggest difference, if it is a difference on your flight.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:29 pm

Economy looks pretty empty at present. We're booked into row 48, which has two seats instead of 3.
First 5 rows of Economy Plus looked fairly booked (50%+), but the rest is pretty empty. (Business is more than half full and the upgrade is $1600+)
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:31 pm

I just made this flight on Friday and the 781 was just about full so I think you'll wanna wait until day of and make the call. Unless you're both tall and need PQPs.
ShinyO likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As always, whether it's worth it is a subjective matter for you.

Is $84 what you drop on drinks after work or do you need that amount to make your mortgage payment?

You know what you do (not) get for the seat, so only you can evaluate the value. Bottom line is it's leg room.
rch4u and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:59 pm

True. Sorry I should clarify. I normally fly out of SJC and in the past the route I flew somewhat regularly on UA was SJC-ORD on a 737-800, though it's been at least a year since I've flown that route. That flight was absolutely not worth a paid upgrade to first, even with the additional legroom. I have not yet flown this particular flight on UA, and on this particular plane. So my question was more: is the legroom worth it on this flight/aircraft at a cost of $84 (assuming I neither spend that much on after-work drinks, nor need it to make a mortgage payment)?

Originally Posted by Often1
As always, whether it's worth it is a subjective matter for you.

Is $84 what you drop on drinks after work or do you need that amount to make your mortgage payment?

You know what you do (not) get for the seat, so only you can evaluate the value. Bottom line is it's leg room.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ShinyO
... So my question was more: is the legroom worth it on this flight/aircraft at a cost of $84...
You are talking about 3-4 inches more knee space. Might not matter if 5 foot tall, will matter if 6 foot tall

Plus a little less claustrophobic, easier to use a laptop, easier for the inside person to get out, likely an extra inch or two of recline, ...

note the seats on the 772 are a bit narrower than the 737
ShinyO likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:09 pm

Thanks. One pax is 5 ft 4 and other is 6 ft 2!
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:34 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ShinyO
Thanks. One pax is 5 ft 4 and other is 6 ft 2!
I am 6 ft 2.

If I was flying with someone else and I was in 2 seats together I would probably stay in the back.

The issue with the 777 is that is is 10 seats across for me. That really cuts down on seat width. My biggest problem on those planes is not the leg room, but rather the shoulder room.

I would rather take the aisle in the back and have the choice to lean into my traveling companion/the aisle at times. That ~1in in seat width that is lost going from 9 across to 10 across really does make a difference for me.

Just my 2 cents.
ShinyO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.