Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
previous thread UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Experiences [Archive]

Related thread: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?

UA Premier Silvers have free access to E- at check-in for themselves and 1 companion
UA Premier Gold have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and 1 companion
o If Silvers or Golds have more than one companion on their PNR, they will need to call to get their allowed access or split their PNR
UA Premier Platinum, 1Ks and GS have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and up to 8 companion

If the companions are off-PNR, it will require a call. Additionally, you will need to watch the companions' setas because they may be moved to E- on schedule/aircraft changes.
Print Wikipost

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Hi all - family emergency and had to purchase a last minute set of 4 tickets RT ATL to SIN via the LAX -> SIN flight. It's L class revenue. Due to last minute purchase (departure 6/6) we have some terrible seats. Last row, and 2 kids separated from parents, kind of challenging for a 17h55m flight. Mobile app shows $189 apiece to upgrade just the LAX -> SIN leg to E+ and for the leg back too.

Is this a reasonable price, or should we wait a bit closer to departure? FWIW Polaris is $2600 ea ouch!
I'm sorry for your family emergency. I hope all goes well.

On your return, will you also like to sit in E+? If yes and you are not getting to Silver with the LAX-SIN leg, maybe you should consider purchasing a subscription to Economy +. For a Global one for you and up to 8 companions the price is $1099.
ContinentalFan and sam_goh like this.

Last edited by StuckinITH; May 26, 2018 at 11:55 pm
Old May 27, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I'm sorry for your family emergency. I hope all goes well.

On your return, will you also like to sit in E+? If yes and you are not getting to Silver with the LAX-SIN leg, maybe you should consider purchasing a subscription to Economy +. For a Global one for you and up to 8 companions the price is $1099.
Thanks - our return we are 3 + 1 in regular economy. It's going to be a day flight 15-16 hours back, so probably not much sleeping. I am torn on whether or not to do E+ for that. The subscription is a new angle to me, thanks for the heads up.

Seems that E+ pricing has bounced up and down from 175 to 189 in just a few hours. Do you all think it will go down, and is it cheaper at T24 or at the airport or on board the plane with an air hostess?
Old May 27, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Seems that E+ pricing has bounced up and down from 175 to 189 in just a few hours. Do you all think it will go down, and is it cheaper at T24 or at the airport or on board the plane with an air hostess?
The prices can change at any time, and in any direction. If there were a set pattern to it, people would just wait until the price were going to be best. I’d set a price you’re comfortable with and watch to see if it hits that, rather than to try to time the market, or just go with the subscription, since that price doesn’t change and it will be good for an entire year.

If you attempt to wait until you’re on board to buy E+, you may find that you can’t find seats together anyway, as E+ may have filled up. Understand that not only do people with premier status get free access to E+, but also UA will put passengers into E+ at no charge if they run out of seats in regular economy. The seat map can go from almost empty in E+ to almost full in the blink of an eye.

PS: I wouldn’t recommend referring to a UA flight attendant as an “air hostess.” A number of them will likely find it to be an offensive phrase, even if no offense is intended.

Best of luck with your family situation.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Have E+ from LAX-ITO (Hilo, Big Island), any meal service or amenities? I think the answer is no but just verifying.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Have E+ from LAX-ITO (Hilo, Big Island), any meal service or amenities? I think the answer is no but just verifying.
No amenities ever in E+. Probably just a snack. Same as rest of coach.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kensterfly

No amenities ever in E+. Probably just a snack. Same as rest of coach.
We'll I guess we'll be buying Pizza or a burger on the flight. Is there seatback video on the 737-800?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
No amenities ever in E+. ....
Except for premium transcon flights which include a hot meal for E+
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
We'll I guess we'll be buying Pizza or a burger on the flight. Is there seatback video on the 737-800?
Most of them do, but some are PDE only. The DTV birds will only offer the movie set once you are no longer over CONUS.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:27 pm

E+ seat, SFO to Sydney

What do you guys think is a fair number to upgrade from E- to E+? Actually I am not even selecting E+, I am just trying to get the big bulkhead
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Personally I don’t think E+ is worth it on this route. An E- aisle seat on the 787 is comfortable enough.
I am 6ft/230lb.
And most times I have had a spare seat next to me whereas E+ has been virtually full.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mattack4000
.... Actually I am not even selecting E+, I am just trying to get the big bulkhead
Most bulkhead rows are considered E+ since they have the standard E+ leg space and more. (However not all bulkhead rows have the extra leg space, For discussion on the bulkhead row of the 789 -- see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-787-9-a.html)

Personally, I would not travel that long, that distance without E+. Much depends on personal preferences -- height, leg length, seating style, age, ..... Weight is less of a factor because the seat width is unchanged (but the 789 seats are narrow). Counting on an empty seat can be a risk depending on the time of the year for the flights to Australia.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:56 pm

Ended up booking the bulkhead at like $170 each
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:48 pm

Going for Gold

I'll hit Gold Status this weekend which allows for free Economy Plus at booking. I have several bookings in the future that are regular Economy seats. Once I hit gold, will I be able to move the seats on my existing reservations to Economy Plus, or will that only happen with new reservations?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
I'll hit Gold Status this weekend which allows for free Economy Plus at booking. I have several bookings in the future that are regular Economy seats. Once I hit gold, will I be able to move the seats on my existing reservations to Economy Plus, or will that only happen with new reservations?
Yes, as soon as you hit Gold status, go back to your reservations and choose your seats in Economy +.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Economy Plus Pricing....

Am boggled with pricing scheme for Economy Plus. I have a flight on same type of aircraft, same seat, same flight distant length, but priced differently.

OCT26 SEA SFO UA 2356 12E on A320, $47 (2 hour 2 min)
OCT28 SFO SEA UA 0618 12E on A320, $29 (2 hour 27 min)

Ticketed in K class.
Seem flight is reasonably empty on both flights, with only about 25% booked.
Why the discrepancy?

Jiburi

(Was just booking cheapest Economy Plus seat to fulfilling a United offer)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.