Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
previous thread UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Experiences [Archive]

Related thread: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?

UA Premier Silvers have free access to E- at check-in for themselves and 1 companion
UA Premier Gold have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and 1 companion
o If Silvers or Golds have more than one companion on their PNR, they will need to call to get their allowed access or split their PNR
UA Premier Platinum, 1Ks and GS have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and up to 8 companion

If the companions are off-PNR, it will require a call. Additionally, you will need to watch the companions' setas because they may be moved to E- on schedule/aircraft changes.
Print Wikipost

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:16 pm

It has created a problem that Basic Economy passengers usually don't have an advance seat assignment because it would cost extra. Then when Economy is full, pax without seat assignments become the most likely to get E+ for free. This is not fair. United ought to automatically assign BE less desirable seats toward the back of the plane at the time of ticketing, eliminating any possibility of choice. This would, of course, leave fewer seats to pick from for those who paid for regular E with seat selection. More of those would willingly pay for E+ if it were more reasonably priced. Rather than upgrade BE folks into overpriced empty E+ seats for free, lower E+ prices and sell those seats to paying pax.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:35 am

LGA-ORD-ANC Will price drop for upgrade to econ-plus?

Clearly I'm not your typical FT-type. In July I'll be flying r/t in steerage from LGA-ORD-ANC. I'm kind of dreading it but I'm on a tight budget. Right now upgrades to economy plus range from $97-153 per leg. Should I expect them to go down? If not, any suggestions on the best seats in the "popular" quarters?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
ORD-ANC are 738's in July it looks like. $100-150 isn't a horrible price to pay for that long of a flight (6.5 hours). I wouldn't expect it to go under $100. If you're on a tight budget, I would skip on the LGA-ORD leg and pay for the ORD-ANC. I myself would grab the last exit row seat window, Probably the A side for some of the views. I would also routinely monitor the seat maps right up until your departure to move around to try and find an open middle or entire row.
ContinentalFan and overhear like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:26 am

Those sound like good suggestions. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Plat
If you're really cheap, you could just avoid choosing a seat and hope for a free E+. This has great odds of working if the flight is full and terrible odds if empty. If the loads are still low a few days out, then you can purchase E+. You can even do this at the gate too (provided seats are avail)!

I've never paid for E+ in my life bc I'm so cheap but I usually get it for free due to my status.
overhear likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
ORD-ANC are 738's in July it looks like. $100-150 isn't a horrible price to pay for that long of a flight (6.5 hours). I wouldn't expect it to go under $100. If you're on a tight budget, I would skip on the LGA-ORD leg and pay for the ORD-ANC. I myself would grab the last exit row seat window, Probably the A side for some of the views. I would also routinely monitor the seat maps right up until your departure to move around to try and find an open middle or entire row.
Good advice but the OP should know that once OP paid the fee for E+ there's no return of the fee (unless OP pays later on to upgrade to First Class or something happens and OP cannot get the E+ seat). Every time that I thought I would get an open middle or entire row (I was already sitting in the plane), they were filled at the last minute by stand-by passengers.
overhear likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
E+ prices will move within a fixed range. You need to watch them on your specific flight for a week or two to figure out what the range is.
overhear likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also worth noting that there are great and lousy E+ seats, all depending on personal preference. The price won't drop much, if at all. But the availability of the seats you want likely will. Have to decide how much of a lousier seat you are willing to accept in return for the possible chance of saving $10 on a very long flight for that aircraft.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Also worth noting that there are great and lousy E+ seats, all depending on personal preference. The price won't drop much, if at all. But the availability of the seats you want likely will. Have to decide how much of a lousier seat you are willing to accept in return for the possible chance of saving $10 on a very long flight for that aircraft.
Good point, Often1. I read through the seat reviews on seatguru. The ratings for E+ seats are as lousy as for economy. I assume that's mainly due to higher expense and expectations. But still -- rows 11 -12 in E+ are missing windows on UA1266 and UA1562. For $137 bucks, I'd expect a window. Unless seatguru's not a reliable source ...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by overhear
Good point, Often1. I read through the seat reviews on seatguru. The ratings for E+ seats are as lousy as for economy. I assume that's mainly due to higher expense and expectations. But still -- rows 11 -12 in E+ are missing windows on UA1266 and UA1562. For $137 bucks, I'd expect a window. Unless seatguru's not a reliable source ...
If the flight is operated by a 738, the best seats are rows 7 and 21.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by overhear
Seatguru is not a reliable source in general, but it's definitely true that there are E+ seats without windows.

How tall are you? I'm 6'0" and I find the extra legroom to be crucial -- E+ keeps me loyal to UA. If I were 5'10" or shorter, I don't know that I'd care. Alaska is an extremely expensive destination (by US standards, anyway). You may find that you'd rather have the extra $100 or $200 to spend on your trip than to pay for a few extra inches of legroom.
overhear likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:17 am

Question guys. I just booked some cattle award tickets for XMas vacation to Sydney from California. I booked two tickets via Aeroplan and 1 via United. On the Aeroplan tickets, my wife and kid was able to get an offer to upgrade to E+ for $169 a piece, which I bit on. I figure 15 hours flights, a bulkhead seat doesn't hurt on a 789. Now my question is for myself. My seat is only upgradable for $209 (middle between them). Is it more expensive because I booked it with United, will that change as I get closer to flying? THanks
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:04 am

I'm under 5'4". Sounds like a window seat in the far back is my best bet -- rather than risk a middle.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:33 pm

For regular economy the aisle is always more endurable. I would choose an aisle in E over a middle in E+ myself. It can be hard to tell from the seat maps how many seats are sold. There can be a lot of passengers with unassigned seats. I have bought E+ thinking I would have an empty middle or row, then the entire E+ cabin turned out to be full. Be sure to check for non-reclining seats when you buy E+.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Cash buy-up on economy award ticket?

I have been out of the loop for awhile. Is it possible to buy-up an economy award to E+?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.