Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus subscriptions
E+ subscriptions are available in various packages
  • Number of travelers who will receive the benefits of the subscription
    • Subscriber-only
    • Subscriber and one companion
    • Subscriber and eight companions
  • Region
    • Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
    • North and Central America
    • Intra-Asia and Oceania (excludes flights from Honolulu to Guam)
    • Global

Key T&Cs
  • Subscriptions are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated on the term at purchase of the subscription.
  • Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
  • Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
  • The subscriber’s MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
  • Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
  • Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
  • Subscriptions can be renewed and can be set-up for auto-renewal

Additional key points
  • E+ subscription allows selection of E+ seats at the time of booking (Same as UA Gold and higher elites -- UA Silver do not have access until check-in)
  • Subscription applies to individual segments, so if a segment of your itinerary is in a covered region, that segment is eligible. Segments outside your purchased region are not eligible.
  • E+ access subscription only applies to UA/UX operated flights. Does not provide any benefit on partner flights.
  • There is no requirement that it must be a UA-issued ticket (016). There are successful reports for bookings on non-016 / UA tickets.
  • E+ subscription applies to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
  • Coverage for additional travelers (if purchased) only applies to those on the same PNR {but you can try calling -- might get lucky}
  • An E+ access subscription does not provide other benefits like premier access (check-in, security or boarding)
  • If upgraded, there is no E+ refund for that segment (unlike purchasing individual E+ segment access)
  • The purchase price of the E+ subscription qualifies for PQDs and will credit in the year of the purchaseThe recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.

What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
-- The E+ selection can only me made if the travel is within subscription period

Can I have an E+ subscription but credit my flights to a different *A program?
Yes, but it will take some effort. If you remove your MP account from the reservations and there is any change in aircraft you may lose your E+ seat assignment. Best to wait until you have checked-in and have your BP. If you have multiple segments, it can get tedious to switch the program account multiple times. There is a small risk if you have a problem changing accounts, the flight credit might go to UA.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold

First-time poster here. Does anyone know when MP members will be able to purchase E+ subscriptions using miles? The details should have been announced last year according to the MP Changes FAQ.

I know the majority on here are elites and don't care about the ability to do so but was wondering if anyone had any insight or insider info.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, 2oo3
For everyone's reference, the link states
What are the new ways I can use award miles?

In early 2015, you will have the ability to use miles for new options such as Economy Plus one-time purchases, Economy Plus subscriptions and checked baggage subscriptions. Later this year we will have more details.
I have not seen any announcements or mention on the Economy Plus subscription page.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Later this year we will have more details.
Apparently, in UA speak, "later this year" means later in some year - we just don't know which year
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Apparently, in UA speak, "later this year" means later in some year - we just don't know which year
It's great because with each new year you get to breathe a sigh of relief because you suddenly have 11 more months to compete the task!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Purchasing E+ subscriptions with miles

I tried to buy with a gift card and was told you can't even use that either. Can you use gift registry funds. Got to use those amex platinum reimbursement.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:11 pm

UA E+ Subscription Scenario

Hello -

I'm just about to dive into my business travel heavy this year. I traveled a bit last year but not enough to gather any kind of status. Used to many providers.

I'm going into 2016 and trying to map out my travel process with known dates. I will be using United for my destinations since I have the Chase Sapphire and Explorer card to help accumulate miles.

In reviewing my planned trips I believe I will hit silver status by June. That's 7 trips and 18-20 segments. At silver status I get comp E+ upgrade if available 24 hours before flight. I don't project to hit gold status at this time. My very first trip is international to Sydney. It is my only international. Because of the long flight the last couple weeks I've thought about booking E+ on the flight there and back ~200 each way for a total of $400. I'll have some vacation time here so since company expenses the standard flight figured it be a night treat to have.

In diving deeper I notice that United offers a E+ subscription for the year. $499 for local, $699 global. Keep in mind I'll have no ability to expense this cost so this would be all out of pocket. I already was considering the $400 for just the international but for $300 more I can get a subscription that will give me E+ options for all 18-20 segments I run before I hit silver status.

I have another 5 trips planned after june with 10-14 more segments. Without subscription I would have silver status right to E+ within 24 hours but with subscription can reserve at ticket purchase.

One other interesting piece is the subscription also goes towards pqd. With that $700 I'd only be short about 5k miles and $1k to qualify for Gold going into 2017.

Would it be crazy not to pick up the subscription given this scenario? I'm leaning that way but maybe asking for some other opinions just to push me to pull the trigger or for that matter not too.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Something to consider is that smaller planes don't all have E+. Make sure the segments you are flying regularly have E+ if you're going to go through with this
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:34 pm

Thank you. Exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to have pointed out that I'm not considering.

Most flight segments will be to main hubs. I fly out of ORD but there are some smaller destnations like Charlotte and Minneapolis that likely will not have E+ options. Something good for me to consider as I try to price out the value.

I also need to figure out for my trips after earning silver status how to devalue the E+ subscription as some I would get these at $0 cost depending on availability once at status.

My main thought was again because I already was considering upgrading to E+ for my 2 large segments to Sydney and back which is ~$200 each way, so $400 total. The first flight alone if I upgraded the whole thing to E+ (ORD > SFO > SYD then MEL > LAX > ORD would cost ~$600.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Another thing to remember is that Silver status now only allows access to E+ at 24 hours before departure. If you fly routes that have a lot of elites where E+ is filled, you may have some difficulty getting in to E+ even if you book your flights well in advance. A subscription will still give you "peace of mind" that you will be able to get E+ when you book.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
A point against buying E+.. as an ex and soon to be again silver (after spending some time as gold) when higher statuses upgrade to first an E+ seat becomes available. I like exit row aisle and when I could not get it on booking some times the person who booked it gets upgraded so I snipe it at just after T-24
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:00 pm

If you value E+ it sounds like it might be worth it. Based on your scenario, it would put you one mileage run short of gold for next year if you do it, and since many of your flights are before you hit silver, you'd get the benefit. You already get better than 50% payback on your first trip
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It's probably too late to look into this now, if you've already booked the SYD flight, but if you're looking at a pretty heavy 90 day period of travel, maybe there's a 1P/Gold challenge you might qualify for? The published status matching is for those with elite status on another airline, but there might be something unpublished that you could try for? Does your company book a lot of flights for others through UA? That could help.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
It's probably too late to look into this now, if you've already booked the SYD flight, but if you're looking at a pretty heavy 90 day period of travel, maybe there's a 1P/Gold challenge you might qualify for? The published status matching is for those with elite status on another airline, but there might be something unpublished that you could try for? Does your company book a lot of flights for others through UA? That could help.

Best of luck!
Good thought but I don't have status anywhere else either so I don't think i would qualify
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
I started the year as a Silver and still bought E+. Simply having access to E+ at T-24 is not enough for me...at 6'2", E- means I can't get work done on planes most of the time (let alone if someone in front of my reclines their seatback). Well worth the money, especially since I was able to get $300 of the $499 refunded by virtue of my Ritz Carlton Visa.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
I just bought it for my wife (I'm gold, but she has no status, and we often travel with 2 kids). Given what you're describing, I'd go for it. You'll get a lot of use out of it, and it's really nice to not have to game the 24-hour check-in window to book E+ (It's the primary reason I spend energy ensuring that I requalify for gold every year).

One other point to make is that, unless things have changed, you'll be able to select E+ seats for flights which occur after your subscription expires, and most of those selections will likely "stick". So if you generally can plan travel far into the future, then you can book a lot of flights right before your subscription ends and select E+ for those as well. If the past is any guide, you'll keep your seats unless there's a schedule/equipment change, and you might be able to ask to be reseated in E+ in those cases by pointing out to an agent that you originally had E+ seat assignments (I've done that in the past). That has the effect of increasing the value of your subscription...

Dan
Anne60 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.