Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus subscriptions
E+ subscriptions are available in various packages
  • Number of travelers who will receive the benefits of the subscription
    • Subscriber-only
    • Subscriber and one companion
    • Subscriber and eight companions
  • Region
    • Continental United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)
    • North and Central America
    • Intra-Asia and Oceania (excludes flights from Honolulu to Guam)
    • Global

Key T&Cs
  • Subscriptions are non-refundable and non-transferable.
  • Subscriptions will expire on the date indicated on the term at purchase of the subscription.
  • Economy Plus is offered on select flights operated by United and United Express.
  • Economy Plus seat requests and specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be customized to benefit additional travelers on the same reservation as the subscriber. Travelers not covered by the subscription benefits are subject to additional charges.
  • Flights must be scheduled to depart within the subscription period.
  • The subscriber’s MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
  • Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
  • Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
  • Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
  • Subscriptions can be renewed and can be set-up for auto-renewal

Additional key points
  • E+ subscription allows selection of E+ seats at the time of booking (Same as UA Gold and higher elites -- UA Silver do not have access until check-in)
  • Subscription applies to individual segments, so if a segment of your itinerary is in a covered region, that segment is eligible. Segments outside your purchased region are not eligible.
  • E+ access subscription only applies to UA/UX operated flights. Does not provide any benefit on partner flights.
  • There is no requirement that it must be a UA-issued ticket (016). There are successful reports for bookings on non-016 / UA tickets.
  • E+ subscription applies to award and paid flights (but not Basic Economy fares)
  • Coverage for additional travelers (if purchased) only applies to those on the same PNR {but you can try calling -- might get lucky}
  • An E+ access subscription does not provide other benefits like premier access (check-in, security or boarding)
  • If upgraded, there is no E+ refund for that segment (unlike purchasing individual E+ segment access)
  • The purchase price of the E+ subscription qualifies for PQDs and will credit in the year of the purchaseThe recipient of an Economy Plus gift subscription is given PQD credit for the price of the subscription purchase when the subscription is activated.

What will happen with a reservation that occurs after the E+ subscription expires? Will my E+ seat assignment be changed?
-- The E+ selection can only me made if the travel is within subscription period

Can I have an E+ subscription but credit my flights to a different *A program?
Yes, but it will take some effort. If you remove your MP account from the reservations and there is any change in aircraft you may lose your E+ seat assignment. Best to wait until you have checked-in and have your BP. If you have multiple segments, it can get tedious to switch the program account multiple times. There is a small risk if you have a problem changing accounts, the flight credit might go to UA.

Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
E+ subscription - how close to flight can you buy?

I'm flying UA SFO-HND rt in Nov on 777, we are family of 4, no status.

It's cheaper to buy E+ global subscription for the family than to do E+ individually at the rates they are currently offering.

However, I know a lot can change between now and flight time depending on flight occupancy (if empty we might not need E+) and upgrade offers at checkin.

How close to the actual flight would I need to make a decision about getting and activating the subscription so that I could use it for the flight? Could I do it at the gate for example?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Don't know how late you can wait to activate E+ subscription. But put this under consideration about holding off, you may not able to get four seats next to each other. Or worse, only individual middle seats will be available.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:47 pm

I have the same question--actually, I was wondering if buying the subscription will even do you any good after you bought the tickets (it sounds like it will, but I find United's wording ambiguous).

So, bmir, what happened?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fwoomp
I have the same question--actually, I was wondering if buying the subscription will even do you any good after you bought the tickets (it sounds like it will, but I find United's wording ambiguous).
Yes purchasing afterwards works. Once you become eligible for E+ access (purchased, status change, ...) you can select your E+ seating.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:56 am

I Made this mistake last year and bought on purchase, now I am out of the subscription and am looking to pay extra again
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes purchasing afterwards works. Once you become eligible for E+ access (purchased, status change, ...) you can select your E+ seating.
Great, thank you!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, National Exec
Should I buy an E+ subscription???

Lost my many years of UA Gold Status after illness and no flying AT ALL in 2016.
Back to traveling now in 2017 and wondering what your thoughts are on E+ subscriptions?
Also: My home airport is KOA. Which subscription do I need to buy to get E+ when traveling from Hawaii to the mainland and back again? I usually take direct flights from KOA-LAX.
I have a UA Club Card so my baggage is taken care of.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As it clearly says on https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app.../offerSep.aspx you need the $599 north&central america one.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: United
I believe you need the north and south America one. What's interesting is that when you upgrade it resets the clock. So on the last day upgrade to global and get another year for 200 more
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Economy plus subscription and award travel

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had experience with using their economy plus subscription to select an economy plus seat while on an award ticket. Is this allowed? I know a basic economy fare doesn't allow for you to use the subscription per the FAQ on the United website, but no mention on award travel. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by semifrequentflyer; Mar 13, 2017 at 7:45 pm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There is no restriction on award tickets.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:59 am

I have this same situation. No status, family taking trip, cheaper to buy the subscription.

I didn't see a response to how soon this is activated after purchasing, I'd like to think immediate, does anyone know?

Second question, is there a point at which some groups can pick E+ for free? E.g. 24 before departure? I'll want to make my purchase and grab seats before that point in time.

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Yes. 24 hours before the flight, those with Silver status can select E+ for free when they check in. And those who know what they're doing, check in at exactly T-24 to get decent seats.

Originally Posted by PATRLR
I have this same situation. No status, family taking trip, cheaper to buy the subscription.

I didn't see a response to how soon this is activated after purchasing, I'd like to think immediate, does anyone know?

Second question, is there a point at which some groups can pick E+ for free? E.g. 24 before departure? I'll want to make my purchase and grab seats before that point in time.

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PATRLR

In principle it's activated immediately on purchase, but their website is so messed up that it might show an E+ subscription in the cart in your window and then instead check you out for a club subscription that shows up in an unnecessary popup on the side. If you buy an E+ subscription, you might want to do it over the phone - I ended up having to call and get redirected to their website people who eventually fixed it, but it took a while. Once you buy it, though, it should show up in your MP account right away and you can use it right away. If you have the Chase card and an MP subscription you have most of the benefits of Gold except for the better IRROPS help.

If you're not going to fly United a lot, you can also just pay for E+ per flight. If you're going to use it enough that it's worth it, you'll probably make it to Silver and then it's not worth renewing - I was Silver for several years and except for tickets purchased less than 24 hours before departure I don't think I ever failed to get an E+ aisle.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:40 am

Following up on this - I purchased the subscription online yesterday and the benefits were immediately available to me.

I bought the international version for me and up to 8 others on the same reservation - cost $1099. To move myself, DW, DD to exit row on our coming BOS-SNA trip would have been just under $1200. I know I will benefit from the subscription on our Aruba trip next spring, at the very least. So it was a good deal for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.