Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
previous thread UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Experiences [Archive]

Related thread: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?

UA Premier Silvers have free access to E- at check-in for themselves and 1 companion
UA Premier Gold have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and 1 companion
o If Silvers or Golds have more than one companion on their PNR, they will need to call to get their allowed access or split their PNR
UA Premier Platinum, 1Ks and GS have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and up to 8 companion

If the companions are off-PNR, it will require a call. Additionally, you will need to watch the companions' setas because they may be moved to E- on schedule/aircraft changes.
Print Wikipost

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:24 pm

You can buy up any time. Just login with your PNR on United.com or pull it up on the app. Select new seats and pay.
abmj-jr likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:47 pm

This is weird. On some screen, the E+ seats are over $200. On some other screen, it was $131.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm traveling with a large group to Europe this summer. I'd like to upgrade my seat, but want to ensure I have E+ at the least. I'm about to be 1K, currently Platinum. Anyway, what will happen if I book 8 people (one being myself) into E+, and then separate myself from the reservation? 7 E+ tix are expensive, and I wouldn't want UA to claw back the expense.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by gold23
I'm traveling with a large group to Europe this summer. I'd like to upgrade my seat, but want to ensure I have E+ at the least. I'm about to be 1K, currently Platinum. Anyway, what will happen if I book 8 people (one being myself) into E+, and then separate myself from the reservation? 7 E+ tix are expensive, and I wouldn't want UA to claw back the expense.
Well, you're unlikely to get any money back once it's spent on E+ seats. What are you wanting to do? Get the others into E+ and get yourself into J? If you don't get your upgrade, you may be stuck in coach because the E+ seat will likely fill up, especially at T-24. I have mere Silver status but when we fly to Europe I buy the E+ seats right off the bat to ensure that we get good ones.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will not get a bill for 7 E+ seats, but if there is a seat shuffle, for instance because of tail swap, then the other 7 will be reseated without E+. If you're still on the same flight at that point, you can call to ask that they be put back with you, assuming you're still in E+. (An agent might not make that last distinction but probably would.)

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Well, you're unlikely to get any money back once it's spent on E+ seats. What are you wanting to do? Get the others into E+ and get yourself into J? If you don't get your upgrade, you may be stuck in coach because the E+ seat will likely fill up, especially at T-24. I have mere Silver status but when we fly to Europe I buy the E+ seats right off the bat to ensure that we get good ones.
gold23 should not need to outlay for the E+ seat 'cost' given 1K/Platinum status, and the seat stays assigned until an upgrade clears.

Last edited by fumje; Apr 17, 2018 at 12:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by fumje
You will not get a bill for 7 E+ seats, but if there is a seat shuffle, for instance because of tail swap, then the other 7 will be reseated without E. If you're still on the same flight at that point, you can call to ask that they be put back with you, assuming you're still in E+. (An agent might not make that last distinction but probably would.)

gold23 should not need to outlay for the E+ seat 'cost' given 1K/Platinum status, and the seat stays assigned until an upgrade clears.
Is that a status benefit- getting E+ seats for so many companions? I wasn't aware of that. Is that only "upgradeable" at check in or at the gate, or can he book them in advance. Great benefit!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Is that a status benefit- getting E+ seats for so many companions? I wasn't aware of that. Is that only "upgradeable" at check in or at the gate, or can he book them in advance. Great benefit!
Yes. This is a status benefit for Plats and above. I can select at booking.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by fumje
You will not get a bill for 7 E+ seats, but if there is a seat shuffle, for instance because of tail swap, then the other 7 will be reseated without E. If you're still on the same flight at that point, you can call to ask that they be put back with you, assuming you're still in E+. (An agent might not make that last distinction but probably would.)

Thank you. This is what I was hoping. I am going to book myself into an E+ seat, then try to upgrade into J (at which point they'd separate me from my companions). Wanted to confirm they wouldn't be hit with the E+ charges after the fact.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thank you. This is what I was hoping. I am going to book myself into an E+ seat, then try to upgrade into J (at which point they'd separate me from my companions). Wanted to confirm they wouldn't be hit with the E+ charges after the fact.
No bill but a chance (made higher the longer it is before the flight) your companions will be reseated in economy minus if there is a seating sweep due to aircraft/frame changes, schedule changes, ....
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:19 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Complimentary Transcon E+ For 1K?

Hello - easy question, but wanted to confirm - I know that UA has different rules for complimentary premier upgrades on transcon routes. Y+ isn't different, though, right?

More specifically ... a 1K won't get a complimentary upgrade to business, but still has access to Y+ on booking (same as other flights), right?

Thanks !!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
Hello - easy question, but wanted to confirm - I know that UA has different rules for complimentary premier upgrades on transcon routes. Y+ isn't different, though, right?

More specifically ... a 1K won't get a complimentary upgrade to business, but still has access to Y+ on booking (same as other flights), right?

Thanks !!
You get access to E+ throughout the entire system, CPU-upgradable or not. It's probably best not to call it Y+ to avoid confusion with the upcoming Premium Economy product, however.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:26 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
IIRC, you get up to 8 people as long as they’re in the same PNR.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I thought UA started selling Y+ transcon for $1000.....
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA MP
Yes, same comp E+ access applies on Ps transcon routes for those with status. 1K gets access to up to 9 E+ including themselves when booking E-.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:31 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Thanks, FT Nation, for the quick responses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.