Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
previous thread UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Experiences [Archive]

Related thread: Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Economy Plus Subscriptions -- Q&A, issues, ....

Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?

UA Premier Silvers have free access to E- at check-in for themselves and 1 companion
UA Premier Gold have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and 1 companion
o If Silvers or Golds have more than one companion on their PNR, they will need to call to get their allowed access or split their PNR
UA Premier Platinum, 1Ks and GS have free access to E+ at booking for themselves and up to 8 companion

If the companions are off-PNR, it will require a call. Additionally, you will need to watch the companions' setas because they may be moved to E- on schedule/aircraft changes.
Print Wikipost

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
Why the discrepancy?
Pricing for E+ is opaque and may fluctuate; it's entirely possible that those two prices will swap the next time you look at it. (Also, different seats can have different prices).

I'm sure UA has some data on uptake rates on each route and price point, which they use to inform their pricing.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by jsloan
Pricing for E+ is opaque and may fluctuate; it's entirely possible that those two prices will swap the next time you look at it. (Also, different seats can have different prices).
Thank for the informed details. When I booked it originally, the pricier economy plus flight was actually "the other" flight, not the first flight. So I concur, the price did swap.

Jiburi
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:42 pm

Economy plus worth it? 14 hour flight to Japan

Just wondering if it's worth the extra cost for this as I am 6'1. From what I read the only difference is additional legroom, but still not sure if this is worth it for me. It will be an extra ~$380 US for the upgrade for me and my wife (together, so $190 each). I have travel points to offset some of that cost.. It would probably be more like $130 US ($65 each) at the end of the day.

Worth it?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If I was 6' 1", I'd spend the $4.63/hour (8 cents/min).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
If you can afford it, yes - especially if you can get bulkhead seats.

Although admittedly I've never sat in E- so I don't have first-hand experience apart from thinking "that looks horrible" as I walked to the bathrooms from E+.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by leafs123
Worth it?
Small exercise for you:
Just imagine yourself on the flight sitting in E-, and at hour 8 your wife turns toward you and with that special look, asks you if YOU thought it was worth saving those few dollars.

Now answer your own question of: "Is it worth it?" again.

And there's your answer.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I don't know what the cost would be for your travel patterns, but if you are connecting to this flight, or plan other United flights together int he next year, at that cost for the single flight it might be worth getting an E+ subscription that would cover all your flights for a year.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by PVDProf
I don't know what the cost would be for your travel patterns, but if you are connecting to this flight, or plan other United flights together int he next year, at that cost for the single flight it might be worth getting an E+ subscription that would cover all your flights for a year.
May well be worth it. Does a single subscription cover myself and my spouse if we are on the same itinerary? I have lots of connections both ways.

EDIT: On second thought, it probably isn't worth it since this will be my only UA trip. It will be far too costly.

Thanks to everyone though. Definitely have my mind made up now.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by leafs123
May well be worth it. Does a single subscription cover myself and my spouse if we are on the same itinerary? I have lots of connections both ways.

EDIT: On second thought, it probably isn't worth it since this will be my only UA trip. It will be far too costly.

Thanks to everyone though. Definitely have my mind made up now.
I personally wouldn't spend anywhere close to $190 for E+ even on such a long flight. Often times, the back rows of E- have empty middles, and you can easily get 3 seats for 2 and have room to stretch out. And if the flight does start looking full, then you can pay. And that $190 will likely fluctuate up and down from $150-250.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Gold), IHG Gold Elite, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Gold Plus
Question EWR-DEL Nonstop reviews for economy and economy plus?

Hi,

I'm considering the nonstop flight from EWR - DEL on United. While I know the seats aren't great, and it's a US carrier going international (which is always not great), does anyone have an honest review? Is it that bad? All I can find is people who have done the journey on Business Class or Polaris. I'm looking for someone who has done it in economy or economy plus. Is economy plus worth the extra $$$?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I second the idea about getting an E+ subscription if you have one big trip with a couple of connections. The total cost for a subscription is about the same as paying the individual upgrade charges for that one trip. Then you can use it for the rest of the year. I did this when I found out how much the single trip from Florida to SYD was about four years ago and have had it ever since. I usually get x3-x4 of my money. This is partly because I now fly more because the sale price is all I pay. A $500 round-trip flight from MCO to FCO is only $500, not $1200 with seats included.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by tansari
Hi,

I'm considering the nonstop flight from EWR - DEL on United. While I know the seats aren't great, and it's a US carrier going international (which is always not great), does anyone have an honest review? Is it that bad? All I can find is people who have done the journey on Business Class or Polaris. I'm looking for someone who has done it in economy or economy plus. Is economy plus worth the extra $$$?
Have you looked up the price of E+ on EWR-DEL? Personally, E+ is a big reason why I fly UA, so I definitely think it's worth it, especially on a flight of that length.
tansari likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Gold), IHG Gold Elite, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by Santander
Have you looked up the price of E+ on EWR-DEL? Personally, E+ is a big reason why I fly UA, so I definitely think it's worth it, especially on a flight of that length.
Is there anyway to look up the E+ price prior to purchasing regular economy? I haven't bought a ticket yet, but when I search for the flight, it's not until the last step that the website gives me a "bundle" package that includes an extra suitcase and economy plus, for $200-300 for each person, each leg, which sounds a little steep. I only care about adding E+. Is there any way to see what just an economy plus seat is without purchasing your economy flight first?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Is there anyway to look up the E+ price prior to purchasing regular economy? I haven't bought a ticket yet, but when I search for the flight, it's not until the last step that the website gives me a "bundle" package that includes an extra suitcase and economy plus, for $200-300 for each person, each leg, which sounds a little steep. I only care about adding E+. Is there any way to see what just an economy plus seat is without purchasing your economy flight first?
Find the flights you're interested and click through past the bundle offer page, and you should be able to see how much it costs to select an E+ seat just before the payment screen. My guess is that on a flight of such length, it'll be about $200 each way.
tansari likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you want just E+ access, ignore the bundles and when you get to the seat selection stage, hover over the e+ seats and you will be guoted a price (which may vary depending on the seat).
tansari likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.