Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
promo link
Terms and Conditions

* For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry-standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. The U.S. Federal Transportation tax will not count toward meeting any spending milestone.

** For this promotion, bonus award miles will be awarded for each spending milestone that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Milestone bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain milestone. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by United MileagePlus® in its discretion and considered final.

Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier® qualifying dollars toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other qualification requirements must be met for the applicable Premier® status.
This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
Bonus award miles will post to your account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on November 30, 2016. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fares and/or fare classes, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fares and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrades, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.

<redacted e-ticket verbiage>

If you received complimentary Premier status:

Your complimentary status is one level higher than the MileagePlus membership status reflected in your MileagePlus account on May 7, 2016. Your status will be not be increased to any other level in connection with this offer. If flights taken prior to May 7, 2016, are credited to your account after May 7, 2016, and result in you meeting the qualification requirements for a higher Premier status, your status will not be complimentarily upgraded again. Qualifying for a higher status level than the complimentary status awarded in connection with this offer requires meeting the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
The complimentary status is valid through January 31, 2017.
A Premier membership card and kit will be not issued for the complimentary status period. Your new benefits will be reflected in your Mileage Plus account once you log in and you may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in.
During the complimentary status period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
Members will not receive Regional Premier Upgrades as part of this offer unless the published qualification thresholds for Premier Platinum status have been earned in the current year.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

If you received an Economy Plus subscription:

The Economy Plus® subscription can be used only on flights operated by United and United Express in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The subscriber's MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

<UA MP rules redacted>
Print Wikipost

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
no email for me, but after registering:

milestone 1: spend $27,000 and earn 33,000 bonus award miles
milestone 2: spend $29,500 total and earn 49,000 more award miles
milestone 3: spend $32,500 total and earn 82,000 more award miles
Old May 27, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: United Plat
Milestone 1: spend $2,500 and earn 27,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $4,000 total and earn 40,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $7,500 total and earn 66,000 more award miles
Old May 28, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
1k and I have received the e-mail

Milestone 1: spend $3,500 and earn 13,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $4,000 total and earn 19,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $6,000 total and earn 32,000 more award miles
Old May 28, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: UA
Premier Platinum that just got bumped to 1K via the other special offer. I moved to Europe (still have my address in the US though) and had 1 C long distance flights credited to UA but the other 2 of them were on SQ and LX (another flight on CX to Asia). A couple short hops in Y mainly inside Europe either on LX or LH.

Used to be GS for a couple years, then moved to AA for close to 3 years, now after moving to Europe mainly book based on schedule and price. Keep Platinum because of 2 Mio miler and some flights on A*.

Milestone 1: spend $3,000 and earn 58,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $6,000 total and earn 86,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $15,000 total and earn 144,000 more award miles

Not sure I will hit any of the milestones because of UA metal only in the requirements. A very good offer but e.g. my next flight is on Swiss in C to China.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Nobody else has pointed this ut so I figured I would. The number of miles for the third tier is always the sum of the first two +-1000 (almost certainly due to rounding within the algorithm used to generate the offers).
Old May 28, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I got a pretty standard "low-spend" offer--$3,500 total for 50,000 miles.

I have been a minimum spend/minimum fly 1K for many years. This year I'm running a little behind my usual pattern but intended to still reach that level.

Given what I have booked already, I need $3800 more PQD this year to make 1K. So basically they are giving me an extra 50,000 miles if I hit 1K one month early.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I was excited when I got my email because I thought this was my cumulative PQDs for this year. After I read this thread, I now understand that I will need to fly from $0 to reach those goals. My offer is a joke:

Milestone 1: spend $9,000 and earn 20,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $10,000 total and earn 29,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $12,500 total and earn 48,000 more award miles

That's $12.5K for 97K miles, about 7.76 miles per $1. I have seen people getting 19 miles per $1 spent.

I have already had about $7K PQD with 80K EQM. Are I going to hit another $9K to earn 20K bonus miles? Not a chance. Once I re-qualify 1K, I'm going to fly *A airlines.

Last edited by naumank; May 28, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Nobody else has pointed this ut so I figured I would. The number of miles for the third tier is always the sum of the first two +-1000 (almost certainly due to rounding within the algorithm used to generate the offers).
yes the breakout seems to be
Level 1 - 20% of max
Level 2 - 30%
Level 3 -- remaining 50%

The dollar levels are probably related to recent spend levels -- may go back a year or 2. So encouraging people to get back to where they had been at least? So those who were going to meet previous levels (and had not advance purchased) see easy targets, those who have wandered might see an incentive. Those with high past spends see much higher targets.

The total RDMs seem to be at least 40K, also at least 5 RDM/PQD, ...
So those in the lower levels are seeing higher rdm/pdq ratios.

Seems there is a sweet spot ≈100K RDM / $6-8K PQM range

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2016 at 11:26 am Reason: sweet spot
Old May 28, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
You followed the link, put in your MP # and it said "sorry, we don't care about you"?

WELL said.
Agree with well said - don't agree with well designed. As someone who has significant experience with consumer promotions there are ways to entice trial and build loyalty without alienating your best customers - UA just doesn't seem to care anymore....
Old May 28, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
UA just doesn't seem to care anymore....
Au contraire, mon frère. They care about dollars on the bottom line. Never forget that for any company this is the most important metric*, else you go out of business, real quick. Whether this current campaign helps them achieve their goal or not remains to be seen.

Just because a lot of people are unhappy doesn't mean that a lot more aren't ecstatic.

From a corporate, long term strategy, while we can speculate and groan and whine all we want, there is no way to know the end result until the end. Whenever that is...

*much as it may pain many of you, EVERY business has one most important goal, and that is to make money for the owner/shareholders. If there is no profit, there is no business. Pretty simple. Admittedly, this is at times hard to quantify, as tracks to short-term and long-term gains are sometimes at odds with each other. So, while many people are unhappy, I don't fault them for trying.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
A promotion that I actually got. I can't remember the last time I received a targeted promotion.

1. $6,000 - 16K miles
2. $7,000 - 24K miles
3. $9,000 - 40K miles
Old May 28, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I got it...and I have completely switched from UA to DL this year.

You know what is wrong with United? I haven't gotten any kind of bonus offer with UA in at least 3 years and have flown 150k to 200k miles in each of those years. I even emailed 1K about it and they pretty much said tough luck. Now that I finally am fed up enough to leave (not just because of offers like this) they send me one? What a slap in the face. Hey United...I have a great idea. How about treating your loyal customers better when they are actually loyal and maybe you wouldn't need to send out these pathetic offers to try to lure them back.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Targeted GS HVF Promo ??

.Bonus miles between 40-100k for reaching each level
Starts at $28k
Not sure why I got it ,I am on track for my average spend range of $65k
Maybe just throwing a bone to those not able to be recognized in the recent splurge of generosity

Last edited by tryintogohome; May 29, 2016 at 2:36 am
Old May 28, 2016, 9:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tryintogohome
Targeted GS HVF Promo ??
I got an email yesterday from UA with a $ dollar based 3 level spend promo, based on time of sign up , not including current bookings.Bonus miles bewteen 40-100k for reaching each level ...
The promo appears to be available at all levels and not everyone -- the reaction has been mixed.
There are many examples posted up-thread.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Originally Posted by wxguy
Just for grins I clicked the link and entered my number.
$28,500 => 38K
$31,500 => 57K
$34,500 => 95K

Whoa.
Very close to mine a13yr 3.m ++ GS...............seems like we need to spend a lot less in the first half of the year

Last edited by tryintogohome; May 29, 2016 at 2:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.