Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
promo link
Terms and Conditions

* For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry-standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. The U.S. Federal Transportation tax will not count toward meeting any spending milestone.

** For this promotion, bonus award miles will be awarded for each spending milestone that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Milestone bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain milestone. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by United MileagePlus® in its discretion and considered final.

Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier® qualifying dollars toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other qualification requirements must be met for the applicable Premier® status.
This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
Bonus award miles will post to your account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on November 30, 2016. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fares and/or fare classes, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fares and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrades, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.

<redacted e-ticket verbiage>

If you received complimentary Premier status:

Your complimentary status is one level higher than the MileagePlus membership status reflected in your MileagePlus account on May 7, 2016. Your status will be not be increased to any other level in connection with this offer. If flights taken prior to May 7, 2016, are credited to your account after May 7, 2016, and result in you meeting the qualification requirements for a higher Premier status, your status will not be complimentarily upgraded again. Qualifying for a higher status level than the complimentary status awarded in connection with this offer requires meeting the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
The complimentary status is valid through January 31, 2017.
A Premier membership card and kit will be not issued for the complimentary status period. Your new benefits will be reflected in your Mileage Plus account once you log in and you may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in.
During the complimentary status period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
Members will not receive Regional Premier Upgrades as part of this offer unless the published qualification thresholds for Premier Platinum status have been earned in the current year.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

If you received an Economy Plus subscription:

The Economy Plus® subscription can be used only on flights operated by United and United Express in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The subscriber's MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

<UA MP rules redacted>
Print Wikipost

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by physioprof
Am I understanding correctly that this only applies to newly purchased tickets? So if I have already purchased all my tickets for travel for the rest of the year, this is inapplicable?
Exactly.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Michael D
Is this promotion going to make anyone fly more with United?
Definitely not. When I noticed people getting the same miles offered to me for half the $ spent, it reminds of TODs and HODs. The people working at UAL just dont get it. I cannot imagine this group getting UAL out of the hole it is in.

Then maybe I am not the target audience. They probably have identified *people* who will fall for it.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Chevelter
United's next "promotion"?

Two complimentary passes to the United Club with every ticket. Offer not available to existing or previous United Club members or Platinum, 1K or Global Service members.
Not too far from the truth. The UAL marketing gods are going to figure out this as the next breakthrough idea

Originally Posted by spin88
They went down the micro targeting route, think they can out smart you, and when it does not work, they are surprised.
In today's connected world, I am surprised that they did not figure out people will be comparing offers. Now to see if there is any strength to this offer, one has to sit back and wait if the others match this blotched promotion.

Business at UAL must be hurting.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
Another data point for the mix.

$2,500:15,000
$3,500:23,000
$5,500:38,000

I'm considering doing it, just to push me over the edge for a first class trans-Pac in early 2017.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Definitely not. When I noticed people getting the same miles offered to me for half the $ spent, it reminds of TODs and HODs. The people working at UAL just dont get it. I cannot imagine this group getting UAL out of the hole it is in.

Then maybe I am not the target audience. They probably have identified *people* who will fall for it.
TODs et al were my first thought. Why not give your good customers a deal?
Old May 26, 2016, 7:14 pm

Got the email. My offer is:

$1000 for 7000
$1500 for 10000
$2500 for 17000

First year Aeroplan convert, no status yet. PQD exempt (Canada).

I fly UA quite a bit for work so I'll probably max this out.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by yowspotter
Got the email. My offer is:

$1000 for 7000
$1500 for 10000
$2500 for 17000

First year Aeroplan convert, no status yet. PQD exempt (Canada).

I fly UA quite a bit for work so I'll probably max this out.
Are you going to fly more or just take advantage of the promo (as all should who can)?

I don't think these kinds of promos increase the miles flown.

I think managers of these promos can say X miles were flown under the promo and try to imply that these miles flown were miles which would't have been flown.

In reality a null increase.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:38 pm

I got the email for 30,000 bonus
1st $500 earn 6,000 bonus miles
2nd $1000 earn 9,000 bonus miles
3rd $2000 earn 15,000 bonus miles
Thru November 30th, 2016.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Got the email this morning. My offer is:

$3,500 for 10,000
$4,000 for 15,000
$5,500 for 25,000

I'm 1K with United, and will probably spend the $5,500 in the course of my normal travel.

I currently have 54,600 PQM and $6,100 PQD booked for 2016.

Last edited by alanro; May 26, 2016 at 7:52 pm Reason: Added more information.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott, Hyatt
Didn't get the email, but entered my number into the site...

Milestone 1: spend $6,500 and earn 19,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $7,000 total and earn 29,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $10,000 total and earn 48,000 more award miles

Won't affect my flying pattern, but I'll probably hit milestone 3 this year anyways. Guess I can't complain.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:54 pm

Are you going to fly more or just take advantage of the promo (as all should who can)?

I think managers of these promos can say X miles were flown under the promo and try to imply that these miles flown were miles which would't have been flown.

Just taking advantage. I *may* contemplate flying UA in a situation I normally wouldn't if I just happen to be close to a tipping point, but otherwise, my habits won't change because of this. Just flying the flights I normally would...
Old May 26, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I got 10K@$1000, 15K@$1500, 25K@$3000
Old May 26, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I got the boost from nothing to Silver, and email for

Milestone 1: spend $1,500 and earn 11,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $2,500 total and earn 16,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $3,500 total and earn 26,000 more award miles
TOTAL = 53k miles

Put my wife's (no current status, no boost) MP Number in and got:

Milestone 1: spend $1,500 and earn 17,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $2,500 total and earn 26,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $3,500 total and earn 43,000 more award miles
TOTAL 86K miles.

Neither of us are apt to earn any of them, as our likely revenue trips are already booked.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold

I don't think people will fly more as a result of the promo, but there is a set of people who will choose to fly UA rather than OA as a result of this promo. Obviously, I'm not talking about the discerning Flyertalk international travelers who appreciate the value offered by OA business class. I'm talking about the less-sophisticated non-Flyertalkers.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by cazmom6
I was not emailed the promotion, and for some reason I don't get many of them at all. However, Twitter seems to keep me in the loop and I found I was eligible.

$7,500 - 10K miles
$8,000 - 15K miles
$9,000 - 25K miles

I have $5500 spent so far and last year I spent $15K so I'm guessing I should it these benchmarks. I'm still new to FT so I cannot tell if this is a good deal or not,
You got one of the crappiest promos. There are only a few reporting
here who got as bad a one, except those who didn't get one at all.

Originally Posted by cazmom6
but since I primarily fly UA I will earn them regardless.
Exactly. They don't have to work to get your business, so
they're not going to give you much. Same with me, whose
offer was about the same badness as yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.