Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
promo link
Terms and Conditions

* For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry-standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. The U.S. Federal Transportation tax will not count toward meeting any spending milestone.

** For this promotion, bonus award miles will be awarded for each spending milestone that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Milestone bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain milestone. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by United MileagePlus® in its discretion and considered final.

Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier® qualifying dollars toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other qualification requirements must be met for the applicable Premier® status.
This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
Bonus award miles will post to your account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on November 30, 2016. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fares and/or fare classes, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fares and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrades, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.

<redacted e-ticket verbiage>

If you received complimentary Premier status:

Your complimentary status is one level higher than the MileagePlus membership status reflected in your MileagePlus account on May 7, 2016. Your status will be not be increased to any other level in connection with this offer. If flights taken prior to May 7, 2016, are credited to your account after May 7, 2016, and result in you meeting the qualification requirements for a higher Premier status, your status will not be complimentarily upgraded again. Qualifying for a higher status level than the complimentary status awarded in connection with this offer requires meeting the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
The complimentary status is valid through January 31, 2017.
A Premier membership card and kit will be not issued for the complimentary status period. Your new benefits will be reflected in your Mileage Plus account once you log in and you may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in.
During the complimentary status period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
Members will not receive Regional Premier Upgrades as part of this offer unless the published qualification thresholds for Premier Platinum status have been earned in the current year.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

If you received an Economy Plus subscription:

The Economy Plus® subscription can be used only on flights operated by United and United Express in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The subscriber's MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

<UA MP rules redacted>
Print Wikipost

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Mine are:

Milestone 1: spend $31,500 and earn 35,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $33,000 total and earn 52,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $34,500 total and earn 87,000 more award miles

Milestone 3 plus what I have spent so far is a little higher than my total spend from last year.
There is definitely no love for GS
Old May 26, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
There is definitely no love for GS
Correct. I have compiled a lot of data, and GS are receiving the lowest bonus mile per PQD.... Around 5.0-5.5 to be exact. Lower status up to 1K are anywhere from 8-16.

One thing I would like for people to post here is how many PQD you currently have. I suspect they are setting the goals to entice a 10-20% additional spend (compared to current projected spend for CY2016) to earn the bonus miles.

Lower spenders are being rewarded more than higher spenders.... Leads me to believe high spenders are being taken for granted. Not a good strategy to keep the most valuable customers happy and feeling fairly treated.

Last edited by jjmoore; May 26, 2016 at 1:11 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 26, 2016, 1:11 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
I'd posted earlier about my offer...

Today, eight-month-old BabyEGO received the email:
$500 - 8000
$1000 - 12000
$2000 - 20000

Curiously, Mrs. EGO received no email and the site rejected her mp# when I tried it.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Post Frugal 1K MM Got......

FWIW:

Milestone 1: spend $4,000 and earn 10,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $4,500 total and earn 15,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $6,000 total and earn 25,000 more award miles

YTD I'm at $2,198 PQDs and 45,671 PQMs.

Probably won't hit the targeted $4k as I'm only going for Plat this year.
Just barely made the $12k spend last year for 1K.

YTD 2016 AA and WN revenue currently exceeds UA.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, *A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Gold
Bummer - "not eligible". Curious what the in/out line was on this one.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
2MM 1K $6500 PQ$ and 45,000 PQM to date.

My offer: spend $7500= 22000 miles
$9000= 32000 miles
$12000= 53000 miles

So this looks like $12,000 PQM to earn 108,000. Unfortunately,I have already booked most of my flights for the year, and these awards aren't very tempting.

And, of course, the actual spend will be a lot more, as taxes, etc and fees raise the actual ticket price. Now, $3500 to earn 50,000 miles would be tempting. But I guess I'm spending too much already to get a "deal"

Last edited by mmack; May 26, 2016 at 2:57 pm Reason: math
Old May 26, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
0.965MM 1K here...52k PQM, $9k PQD to-date.

$6.5k = 17k RDM
$7.5k = 25k
$10k = 42k

8.4/PQD
Old May 26, 2016, 1:48 pm

$10,000 = 28,000
$12,000 = 42,000
$15,500 = 69,000

1K currently YTD $10K PQD at ~60K PQM
Old May 26, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
While I am happy to have finally received a promo offer for the first time in i don't even know how many years I do not think it is going to be all that likely that I increase my travel for the rest of the year.

$32,500 = 35,000
$34,000 = 53,000
$35,000 = 88,000

Current PQM - 101,000
Current PQD - $25,000

Overall however, I think this is a good promotion. Its one of those fun promotions that should bring some people back to the airline. I also liked how the rules specifically noted some of the eligibility requirements of those who just received higher status or economy plus subscriptions.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Correct. I have compiled a lot of data, and GS are receiving the lowest bonus mile per PQD.... Around 5.0-5.5 to be exact. Lower status up to 1K are anywhere from 8-16.

One thing I would like for people to post here is how many PQD you currently have. I suspect they are setting the goals to entice a 10-20% additional spend (compared to current projected spend for CY2016) to earn the bonus miles.

Lower spenders are being rewarded more than higher spenders.... Leads me to believe high spenders are being taken for granted. Not a good strategy to keep the most valuable customers happy and feeling fairly treated.
+1 on the view of what is going on, but as I posted earlier, a number of the lower thresholds (starting at $500 to $2000 in spending) are giving out 20-21 additional miles/$1 of spending. The differences are quite large.

And any thoughts that people are not gonna be pissed off by this because they will not find out, is belied by the fact that they treated different people in the same family differently. When spouces get treated differently, people notice. Or when your kids get a great offer, and you, the UA elite does not, you are P.O.ed...
Old May 26, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
1K, ~61k PQM, ~$12k PQD so far this year.

Offer:
$12,500 - 18,000 miles
$13,500 - 26,000 miles
$16,000 - 44,000 miles

Small chance I'll hit the first or second threshold, unlikely I'll hit $16k.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: 1k
1k here . . . my offer:

$8,000 ----> 18,000
$9,000 ----> 27,000
$11,500 ----> 44,000

YTD PQM: 36,800
YTD PQD: $4,800

I'll make the first one and maybe the second one.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Suppose I have a coach ticket for June that I booked in March. I call up and say I want to "GG buyup" and pay the extra money for a Business Ticket. Does that count as a ticket generated after May 25, for the purpose of this promotion? Or does the purchase date remain in March?
Old May 26, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Who in their right minds are going to fly UA metal for overseas trip when alternatives are available with more convenient connections. For being DEN based I have LH going nonstop to FRA and MUC; makes more sense to get out of the country nonstop than stop in ORD/EWR.

Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer.

That verbiage made it a nonstarter for me. Plus the $2k for 10K miles was a joke. I reckon the move to $ based RDM is hurting the bottom line. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the only glue that made US based fliers loyal to US carriers was the "status" and the miles earned even if it was almost impossible to use like SkyPesos. Now that you remove the glue, you got plenty of free agents roaming the market place with no allegiance. The next recession will shake things up plenty more
Old May 26, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
We've known for a long time that UA doesn't regard loyalty. I decided to pay for AA status match in January so my UA flights are 2 for this year. As a former 1K and Plat (last year), I received:

Milestone 1: spend $1,500 and earn 10,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $2,000 total and earn 15,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $3,500 total and earn 25,000 more award miles

Clearly, they are trying to get my $$$ back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.