Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
promo link
Terms and Conditions

* For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry-standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. The U.S. Federal Transportation tax will not count toward meeting any spending milestone.

** For this promotion, bonus award miles will be awarded for each spending milestone that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Milestone bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain milestone. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by United MileagePlus® in its discretion and considered final.

Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier® qualifying dollars toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other qualification requirements must be met for the applicable Premier® status.
This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
Bonus award miles will post to your account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on November 30, 2016. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fares and/or fare classes, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fares and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrades, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.

<redacted e-ticket verbiage>

If you received complimentary Premier status:

Your complimentary status is one level higher than the MileagePlus membership status reflected in your MileagePlus account on May 7, 2016. Your status will be not be increased to any other level in connection with this offer. If flights taken prior to May 7, 2016, are credited to your account after May 7, 2016, and result in you meeting the qualification requirements for a higher Premier status, your status will not be complimentarily upgraded again. Qualifying for a higher status level than the complimentary status awarded in connection with this offer requires meeting the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
The complimentary status is valid through January 31, 2017.
A Premier membership card and kit will be not issued for the complimentary status period. Your new benefits will be reflected in your Mileage Plus account once you log in and you may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in.
During the complimentary status period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
Members will not receive Regional Premier Upgrades as part of this offer unless the published qualification thresholds for Premier Platinum status have been earned in the current year.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

If you received an Economy Plus subscription:

The Economy Plus® subscription can be used only on flights operated by United and United Express in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The subscriber's MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

<UA MP rules redacted>
Print Wikipost

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
This is, sadly, par for the course for United. Offer little to your best customers; offer much to those who spend little. Give away higher Mileage Plus status to those who didn't earn it. Quote a 1K a much higher price for a buy-up than to a no-status flyer. What next? Free United Club access for everyone now that I bought a year’s membership?
Old May 26, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by spin88
+1 on the view of what is going on, but as I posted earlier, a number of the lower thresholds (starting at $500 to $2000 in spending) are giving out 20-21 additional miles/$1 of spending. The differences are quite large.

And any thoughts that people are not gonna be pissed off by this because they will not find out, is belied by the fact that they treated different people in the same family differently. When spouces get treated differently, people notice. Or when your kids get a great offer, and you, the UA elite does not, you are P.O.ed...
Why couldn't UA have put a very simple promotion out there that basically says that every member of the MP program will receive 8 bonus miles per PQD (on top of the current multipliers... i.e. for me, I would go from 11 RDM / PQD to 19 RDM / PQD), and this would go immediately into effect and only qualify for a pre-determined amount of PQD's that are based on previous year's spend (i.e. 50% of last year's PQD, so if I had $64,000 PQD in 2015, I would be able to capitalize on the accelerated bonus for $32,000 additional PQD's this year).

Just throwing it out there... this seems more fair... it gives everyone equal accelerated bonus potential, and rewards people based on historical spend.... fair for all levels. And for general members, they would qualify for a minimum set point of PQD with accelerated bonus as an enticement for others to spend $$ on UA and be rewarded for it.... and to earn status the right way.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Had to hunt around to find the promo...

I was not emailed the promotion, and for some reason I don't get many of them at all. However, Twitter seems to keep me in the loop and I found I was eligible.

$7,500 - 10K miles
$8,000 - 15K miles
$9,000 - 25K miles

I have $5500 spent so far and last year I spent $15K so I'm guessing I should it these benchmarks. I'm still new to FT so I cannot tell if this is a good deal or not, but since I primarily fly UA I will earn them regardless.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Fly your way to 239,000 bonus miles:

$29,000 - 48,000 bonus miles
$33,000 - 72,000 bonus miles
$37,000 - 119,000 bonus miles

GS
Old May 26, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I reckon the move to $ based RDM is hurting the bottom line. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the only glue that made US based fliers loyal to US carriers was the "status" and the miles earned even if it was almost impossible to use like SkyPesos. Now that you remove the glue, you got plenty of free agents roaming the market place with no allegiance. The next recession will shake things up plenty more
Agreed. The main issue with $ based RDM was that the redemption model stayed static. This caused many people to just give up collecting as the low returns don't justify keeping the account active. That sounds good to the airline to drop the dead weight account holders, but the program is also a marketing tool. How do you market something that is worthless to someone? I really wish they would revisit the current RDM multiplier structure.

Regarding the promo...some will benefit, but kinda odd given the timing of free status and in many instances crazy spend required. I know the promo is intended to spur future booking, but if they really wanted to show goodwill to folks they could have included all bookings.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
$6500 = 23000
$7500 = 34000
$11000 = 57000
Old May 26, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Where does it say the flights have to be flown by 11/30 in the T&C? Sorry if I'm being dense/blind/all of the above.

My offer, which I won't be hitting:
Milestone 1: spend $27,000 and earn 30,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $28,500 total and earn 45,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $30,000 total and earn 75,000 more award miles

I've already spent $21k PQD, but $4k/mo is the max rate I will earn at. The offer above is a bit offensive.

Last edited by ajhun9; May 26, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Am I such a loser? Only deserving 38,000 miles?

I(No status, but a club member) got much fewer miles:

$500 - Earn 8,000 bonus miles
$1000 Total - Earn 11,000 more bonus miles
$2500 Total - Earn 19,000 more bonus miles

Would the $960 trip I already book count? July 4th-Sep 4th.
Oh, NO, I just saw this line "To be eligible, flights must be purchased after registration and flown before November 30, 2016."

The picture is attached:
Attached Images  

Last edited by ylord789; May 26, 2016 at 3:44 pm Reason: Attaching pics.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
United's next "promotion"?

Two complimentary passes to the United Club with every ticket. Offer not available to existing or previous United Club members or Platinum, 1K or Global Service members.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Milestone 1: spend $8,500 and earn 31,000 bonus award miles

Milestone 2: spend $10,000 total and earn 46,000 more award miles

Milestone 3: spend $14,500 total and earn 77,000 more award miles

Total 154K at about 9 cpm. Wished I known about this BEFORE I bought J to BRU/OSL, SIN, and A to PVG.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajhun9
Where does it say the flights have to be flown by 11/30 in the T&C? ...
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Milestone 1: spend $15,000, get 29,000 miles
Milestone 2: spend $17,000, get 43,000 miles
Milestone 3: spend $20,500, get 71,000 miles

Total miles offered: 143,000

YTD PQD $14,464, PQM 46,191
Old May 26, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Why couldn't UA have put a very simple promotion
United's marketing department is the Great Cornholio. They wander around muttering crazy things, convinced about how smart they are.

They went down the micro targeting route, think they can out smart you, and when it does not work, they are surprised.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Is this promotion going to make anyone fly more with United?

Is this promotion going to make anyone fly more with United?
Old May 26, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Am I understanding correctly that this only applies to newly purchased tickets? So if I have already purchased all my tickets for travel for the rest of the year, this is inapplicable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.