Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: physioprof
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to use the old site, as mentioned upthread, you clear the cache and history on your browser and type in "ual.com". This should work.
As of Oct. 26, 2015 it no longer seems possible to access the old version of the website.

Related thread
Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down?

Workaround for Login & "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request." Problems:

Close United tab, clear browser cache, and delete all United cookies. Instead of logging back in using the home page yellow tile, click on the "Reservations -> Change or view reservations" link, and then login using the "MileagePlus: Sign in or join" link on the upper right of the page.
Print Wikipost

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Look at the image in the post above. It shows +2 for SFOSYD; it is light blue text above the times.
Whaaaat?? I swear last night when I was looking at SFO-HKG-SGN I didn't see that.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12

I do see the lack of options on the return for AKL-SYD-???-IAD if the first segment is selected as economy.

I also cannot help but wonder if part of this specific case is related to the way AZ markets trans-Tasman flights.
I figured out the problem. I was structuring the trip as a round trip. The only way I could replicate your results was breaking my search into IAD-SYD-AKL, and separately search AKL-SYD-IAD.

thanks
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Logged in to beta and none of my current reservations show under "My Trips", but can get to the old "Manage Reservations" by clicking on "Reservations" under the United logo.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Logged in to beta and none of my current reservations show under "My Trips", but can get to the old "Manage Reservations" by clicking on "Reservations" under the United logo.
Wasn't happening the past few days but same thing for me this morning.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:24 pm

Booked a round trip SFO-DFW in October using the new site, and got 1/1/0001 as the flight date for both legs.

Called 1K desk and was transferred to web support. They confirmed the problem but could not resolve it, so I asked them to refund using the 24-hour rule, and booked again using the old site without problems.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:07 pm

Made my first booking from the new site (at least the search which then goes to the old site) for SFO-TPE HKG-EWR with confirmed at booking GPUs. Seat on SFO-TPE selected and stuck, HKG-EWR is showing -- and won't stick. Not sure if that's a new site issue or coincidence.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by agpt
Any changes should add functionality, not remove it.

When a new site is rolled out, the default should be that all the functionality of the old site is retained. If the interface could be "streamlined", fine, but there should always be the option for some sort of "expert" mode to give added functionality.
Originally Posted by johnden
This is a noble concept, and sometimes it is the reality for business critical software. For consumer products, this is almost never the case. Microsoft tried this with Windows for many years, the bloat grows exponentially with each release.

For a consumer product it is all about tradeoffs. Most consumers like a simple and intuitive feel (which changes with every generation). Interest drops and frustration quickly increases with additional options. Very few users are experts in the product, we can't all be experts at everything all the time!
I see both POVs here. Is there a need for both a basic default website and an advanced website? UA markets to both the infrequent family that takes one vacation every few years and needs simple round trip tickets, as well as HVFs who perform multi-segement trips using awards and who even go out of there way for connecting flights to build up their PQSs, etc. While the later is certainly more valuable to the company, the infrequent flyers still do help fill the planes.

I think the current website gives us the best of both worlds - a simple interface on the home page and a link to perform more complex transactions. The simple page is there for those who only need that, and the advanced page is available for those who need it and know where to access it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:43 am

Why are there columns for saver inventory for J and F but not Y?

Either show two columns for each of the 3 classes or show 1 column for each class.

The decision to treat Y differently from J or F makes no sense to me.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well they could fix the sign-on issues that seem to be intermittently appearing at the moment.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
New united.com homepage just appeared

I just went to United.com and got a brand new homepage. Is this the beta site now going live?

It claims I have 17 upcoming reservations, so I guess I am going to go a bunch of places for free! (I only have 4 reservations)

Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Just logged on, even cleared my cookies. Still seeing the old site.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Just logged on, even cleared my cookies. Still seeing the old site.
Weird! If I try in a different browser (when I'm not logged in) and even a different computer, I get the new site.

Wonder if they "roll out" based on IP address.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I have the old site, also. Tried in multiple browsers.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
I just went to United.com and got a brand new homepage. Is this the beta site now going live? ...
Originally Posted by UA Beta Insider

Hi everyone,

I’m back with an update on the beta website, and to share our plan going forward to fully introduce the new united.com

The new platform we built for united.com has already been incorporated into our mobile app for flight booking and now the website is ready to move forward. This week, we will start to shift more traffic on united.com to the new website. Both the new and existing sites will run in parallel for a few weeks, so don’t be surprised if you come across both. However, if you would like to start using our new homepage and booking path immediately, you can do so by using united.com/ual (make sure any previous United session cookies are cleared). Your feedback here is still important to us, so we’ll continue to prominently display the “Site Feedback” button, in green on the right-side of every page.
Krista
UA Digital Insider
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RdFltErr
It claims I have 17 upcoming reservations, so I guess I am going to go a bunch of places for free! (I only have 4 reservations)
I think this issue is fairly wide-spread. It was reported here recently. For me, it's saying I have 10 reservations when I only have 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.