Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: physioprof
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to use the old site, as mentioned upthread, you clear the cache and history on your browser and type in "ual.com". This should work.
As of Oct. 26, 2015 it no longer seems possible to access the old version of the website.

Related thread
Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down?

Workaround for Login & "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request." Problems:

Close United tab, clear browser cache, and delete all United cookies. Instead of logging back in using the home page yellow tile, click on the "Reservations -> Change or view reservations" link, and then login using the "MileagePlus: Sign in or join" link on the upper right of the page.
Print Wikipost

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
There's no way a public company is going to let its earnings be materially impacted by a website update.
Who said anything about earnings being "materially impacted"? That's a very high standard.

The fact is the new site is buggy. I like some of its features (and dislike others), but it's not ready for primetime.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Really??

When I do an award search the number of points required is in the boxes on the right where the fares would be for a revenue ticket.
I think the poster wants to know how long the flights are (in miles).
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Sure, it's fun to unleash venom on UA and claim that building a state-of-the-art global ecommerce site is "basic kiddy stuff." But you can rest assured that they have very specific usage and revenue goals for the new site. If they were to start missing them by wide margins, they'd roll back to the old site while they fix things. There's no way a public company is going to let its earnings be materially impacted by a website update.

Based on the fact that more customers are seeing the new UI, not fewer, we can infer that the team is meeting its goals.
This makes no sense to me. What does any of this have to do with earnings?

I doubt many of us think it's fun to report the bugs as well as comment on the complicated, convoluted new interface.

The fact of the matter is this site is harder to use than the old one. While I understand the commercial aspects of the site and how they might drive behavior, I doubt customer frustration is the behavior UA is trying to drive.

They need to fix the site before forcing it on people. A bad, buggy site will not help UA's reputation among customers.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by channa
When doing a multi-city search, if you go to Edit Search, it loses all the multi-city stuff and makes it a straight RT and you have to start over.

This is such a basic item, it's indicative of how poorly run United Continental IT is. That should have been part of their testing on the Edit Search feature -- change the whole search on an Edit? Ridiculous!
Yes, I noticed that too. I fly to a lot of hick towns and so I often search for open jaws, because I don't care which tiny regional airport I use; I'm just looking for a decent arrival departure time and doable connection and I have to drive another 2 hrs to my destination no matter what. The constant starting over that I end up doing on the "new improved" site when searching multi-city is a silly thing to experience .

I have written to 1kvoice about the website and actually received replies. that is what I'm continuing to do.

Originally Posted by redwoman
on the "old" website still available on my PC, SFO-FCO Sept 15 I can book in F (or any class) SFO-LHR-FCO (UA 901 out of SFO, departing 12:55 PM) but that connection isn't available in any class, restricted, unrestricted or anything on the "new" website. On the "new" website, I am offered connections through the US hubs, through FRA, MUC and LHR but not 901 to LHR departing at 12:55 with a decent connection time and decent arrival time at FCO. I am only offered the 7:05 PM departure SFO-LHR.

How can they not offer all fares that are available?
Mystery solved. The SFO-LHR-FCO itin departing SFO at 12:55 PM is a codeshare with BA for the LHR-FCO leg (kind of shocked to see this offered, actually). On the new site, it must not find this fare. The new site choices for the search are United only, *A or all flights. Even though I choose "all flights", it's not finding this itin. The only ones I am offered have UA or *A connections.

There doesn't appear to be any difference in the results between the *A or all airlines choices in the search parameters when using the new site, at least on a SFO-FCO search.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 1, 2015 at 9:26 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I have not had the misfortune to see what you guys have been seeing, but, crikey, this is basic kiddy stuff that they don't seem to be able to get right. Is it out to tender to the cheapest country this week ?
I haven't either. Not one issue for me. I think it's more the user than the website. It's easily the best airline website I've used. It makes the others feel a decade behind, or two in the case of AA.

Originally Posted by channa
When doing a multi-city search, if you go to Edit Search, it loses all the multi-city stuff and makes it a straight RT and you have to start over.
Click on advanced search after you hit the edit button. Everything is still there.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by JBord
This makes no sense to me. What does any of this have to do with earnings?
On any ecommerce site, earnings resulting from online transactions are the most critical, concrete metric of whether a redesign is "working." If more people are booking flights using the new website than they would have with the old one, it is, broadly speaking, "working."

The fact of the matter is this site is harder to use than the old one. While I understand the commercial aspects of the site and how they might drive behavior, I doubt customer frustration is the behavior UA is trying to drive.
No, that is not "the fact of the matter." I would wager a month's salary that UA has internal metrics that show that the new site results in more transactions completed and higher overall satisfaction scores than the previous one did.

I know it's no fun to be an outlier. But claiming it's a "fact" that the new site is harder to use with no evidence but your own opinion to back it up just doesn't hold water.

They need to fix the site before forcing it on people. A bad, buggy site will not help UA's reputation among customers.
Fortunately UA appears to be using actual data to make this decision, rather than listening to whoever speaks the most forcefully.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would wager a month's salary that UA has internal metrics that show that the new site results in more transactions completed and higher overall satisfaction scores than the previous one did.

Fortunately UA appears to be using actual data to make this decision, rather than listening to whoever speaks the most forcefully.
All sheer speculation.

I know it's no fun to be an outlier. But claiming it's a "fact" that the new site is harder to use with no evidence but your own opinion to back it up just doesn't hold water.
Let's cut the personal attacks. It's unfortunate that members can't post their opinions here without being insulted.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:22 am

On any ecommerce site, earnings resulting from online transactions are the most critical, concrete metric of whether a redesign is "working." If more people are booking flights using the new website than they would have with the old one, it is, broadly speaking, "working."

No, that is not "the fact of the matter." I would wager a month's salary that UA has internal metrics that show that the new site results in more transactions completed and higher overall satisfaction scores than the previous one did.

How can you possibly back up any of these claims???

How can UA possibly have enough data on the new site usage to tell them anything of significance???

The site isn't even being used by everyone at this point, and for those who are using it, it's been a very small amount of time. And you claim, rather "forcefully", to use your words, that they have data that proves the new site is better commercially???

The "fact" is that I find it much more difficult to use. I go back several versions of UA and CO web sites. You can not dispute the fact that I, and apparently others in this forum, find it harder to use, and the "FACT" that some of us find it frustrating.

You claim that UA has metrics that back up the site is more commercially successful and has greater satisfaction scores.

The "fact" is that this is not statistically possible. How could they possibly prove that with data that can't even account for seasonality at this time?

The "fact" is that everything you've stated is your opinion. I have my opinion of the new site. You are welcome to yours, and I respect it. I simply stated that I didn't understand your post and that the tie to earnings didn't seem to relate to the fact that the site has issues.

Your opinion, you find the site easier to use, that's fine.

When UA can prove that the new website (isolated from all other factors such as pricing, service, quality, reliability) has resulted in greater revenue, than we can cheer the commercial success. Until then, it's just a different website.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Lightbulb Fix United.com errors

1. Start by fixing this 2 year-old issue at Manage Profile & Set Username instead of spending millions on 1 landing page:
    Originally Posted by reinmedia
    I'm having a consistent profile error issue that is happening. Each time I visit the account page in MP, I get the following dialog box:

Your account is activated. Take a moment to confirm your profile details, including email subscriptions.

My set username I chose is showing as "none" but when I click "edit" it's still showing up in the text field. I hit continue and it's set again until I logon again from a different IP address ...
    I'd report it Contact US (I can't call it "Customer Care" which is just a PR moniker that gives it credit where less is due) because issues I reported 4 years ago remain unsolved.
  2. Don't forget howcached logins being swapped for different users enables others to act as others.
  3. A bug at least 5 years old which all passengers have become used to seeing & subconsciously ignore but which we also know is actually a bug that'll never get fixed:
    Code:
    Flight:UA7999
    Operated by ANA All Nippon Airways.
    Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
    Fare Class: Economy (K)
    Meal: None
    No Special Meal Offered.
    Really?
That's how to get started on the "new" united.com, multi-million dollar landing page & all.

Last edited by Richard Chen; Sep 17, 2015 at 1:16 pm Reason: Fix United.com errors
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Expert mode?

Well, I've now been migrated over to the new site in mid-trip and can't find a way to activate Expert Mode and see fare bucket availability.

Perhaps some of the FTers who have already made the transition could enlighten me?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by transportprof
Well, I've now been migrated over to the new site in mid-trip and can't find a way to activate Expert Mode and see fare bucket availability.

Perhaps some of the FTers who have already made the transition could enlighten me?
When you do a search, click on "details" for the specific flight and it drops down a window with fare classes.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Searching for SFO-All it's been returning flight results with XXX-Allentown PA (ABE I think it was).
On the app searching NYC it was only showing LGA flights and not any of the EWR ones.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
My experience when a Web site I use a lot changes is that I always think the new one is a "horrible disaster", but once I get used to it, it's fine. I haven't played around with the new UA site, but I suspect it'll be the same.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Phil Level
When you do a search, click on "details" for the specific flight and it drops down a window with fare classes.
Got it! Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
My experience when a Web site I use a lot changes is that I always think the new one is a "horrible disaster", but once I get used to it, it's fine. I haven't played around with the new UA site, but I suspect it'll be the same.
I would generally agree, and I hope that's the case here.

I recall going from the pmUA site to the CO/new UA site a few years back. I really missed the side by side round trip builds. They never added that, and I got used to it. Would still love to have that feature back.

And other than the bugs, some of this is personal preference. I like simple sites, give me Google any day. I'm likely to spend more money with a company that makes my life easier. But you can't please everyone with a new site design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.