Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 11:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Can GPU be used on LX flights if it is codeshared with LH and or UA?
Old May 1, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Per my understanding: noUA- (and Copa-) and LH-operated flights are the only ones that can be GPU-eligible. I have no experience with non-UA upgrades, however.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wupgrades.aspx
Old May 1, 2016, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Originally Posted by fumje
Per my understanding: no—UA- (and Copa-) and LH-operated flights are the only ones that can be GPU-eligible. I have no experience with non-UA upgrades, however.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wupgrades.aspx
That is a definite NO to LX metal. And if LH, it is on the most expensive fares, and only ONE segment per GPU.

Last edited by EmailKid; May 1, 2016 at 4:29 pm Reason: Apparently more than just 2 most expensive fares
Old May 1, 2016, 1:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
That is a definite NO to LX metal. And if LH, it is on the two most expensive fares, and only ONE segment per GPU.
GPUs on LH operated and coded flights can be used Q and higher (not just the top two). MP mileage upgrades to Business on LH operated and coded flights are limited to fewer fares (Y, B & J, E and G ).

More on GPU usage on LH in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lectronic.html

Partner codeshare flights are not upgradeable with miles or GPUs. (Only exception is UA operated flights but codeshared with a partner). Sometime LH operated flights codeshared by a partner can be converted to native LH flights that are upgradeable.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I am on a flight that is full and shows 38(!) people o the standby list. However the GA and the lady at the UC said it is 'booked even' and are not making VDB offers. Does that mean the standby folks are just trying to hop on an earlier flight if needed but aren't paid to be on the plane?
Old May 1, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
... Does that mean the standby folks are just trying to hop on an earlier flight if needed but aren't paid to be on the plane?
Correct -- confirmed passengers are not on the Standby list. Also could be NRSA folks.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Correct -- confirmed passengers are not on the Standby list. Also could be NRSA folks.
Most of them are not on the upgrade standby list, so I assumed they weren't NRSAs.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I remember that there was a feature in mobile united app where you could check the flight status for flights even for more then 2 days out only by changing the date in the menu bar.
Is that feature not available anymore?
Old May 1, 2016, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
GPUs on LH operated and coded flights can be used Q and higher (not just the top two).
OK, thanks for that, apparently I should not rely solely on my faulty memory

My original answer now corrected.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I remember that there was a feature in mobile united app where you could check the flight status for flights even for more then 2 days out only by changing the date in the menu bar.
You can do it on the mobile.united.com website by changing the URL. I do not believe it was ever available in the app.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Most of them are not on the upgrade standby list, so I assumed they weren't NRSAs.
Not all NRSA waitlist for both given the added cost.
Double listing can be a way to id NRSA but not all NRSA will double waitlist.

You may have been thinking of
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...available.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 1, 2016 at 8:28 pm Reason: typo
Old May 1, 2016, 9:17 pm

I used the mobile link changing the URL, but it is giving an error saying the date requested in invalid.
I guess this option was maybe limited.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I used the mobile link changing the URL, but it is giving an error saying the date requested in invalid.
I guess this option was maybe limited.
It was shut down a while back.

While UA no longer meaningfully participates on this forum, they do read it.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:33 am

It was a nice feature while it lasted
Old May 2, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It was a nice feature while it lasted
Yes, as was the nilshomer tool. I hope he didn't get in trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.