Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I just paid to upgrade a domestic award ticket at check-in - from economy to first. First time doing this. Will I get any Premier qualifying credit for this flight - dollars? miles? Any redeemable miles?
Old May 2, 2016, 10:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
I just paid to upgrade a domestic award ticket at check-in - from economy to first. First time doing this. Will I get any Premier qualifying credit for this flight - dollars? miles? Any redeemable miles?
Likely no -- it depends on if it was an upgrade fee (no credit) or if it was a refare to first fare class (this earns credit).

If the fare class became R / PN / Zx -- no credit. If it became P / Z / A then credit. General the offers at checkin are the former, not the later.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html
Old May 2, 2016, 5:37 pm

Abandoned booking on line. Does ETC value automatically flow back?

Earlier today I was in process of booking a UA flight via United.com. I applied the remaining value of an Electronic Travel Certificate to lower the fare and was planning to pay the remainder by a credit card.

That's when I noticed the travel date was off (not the date that I wanted). So I abandoned the booking. I did not hit the purchase button. I wanted to scroll back to an earlier webpage to detach my ETC PIN but was unable to.

Not seeing a way to "unhook" the ETC, I just logged out and closed the browser window.

Questions: Does the residual value of the ETC automatically flow back (remain) since the booking was never completed?

Or do I have to do something to get it back.

If I knew how to check the residual value of the ETC on line I may not need to ask this question (I did a search; no help).

Thanks in advance!
Old May 2, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Globehopper
... Questions: Does the residual value of the ETC automatically flow back (remain) since the booking was never completed? ...
yes

Originally Posted by Globehopper
If I knew how to check the residual value of the ETC on line I may not need to ask this question. ...
How to check ETC value

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...16-merged.html
Old May 2, 2016, 7:56 pm

Can you change your seat and/or add bags after checking in online?
Old May 2, 2016, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcarmicle
On the web interface you just check in again to change seat and add/remove bags.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bcarmicle
Yes. Officially, you can change seats up until 1 hour before departure... But I've changed seats on the UA app while waiting in the Group 2 line while the GA called for Group 1 to board.

I might not get a CPU often myself, but I'll almost always score a better E+ seat right before boarding by switching seats when the GA pages pax to out last-minute CPUs.

Last edited by Wooglin; May 2, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 10:02 pm

Is it possible to add a positioning segment on an international award flight without increasing miles? For example, I'm trying to position from LGA to ORD before traveling to CDG. Thanks for the help!
Old May 2, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by edl1
Is it possible to add a positioning segment on an international award flight without increasing miles? For example, I'm trying to position from LGA to ORD before traveling to CDG. Thanks for the help!
Yes BUT unless you have status there will be a fee to change the ticket. $75/ticket if not an MP elite.
The fee will be even higher if you are within 21 days of departure. This ups the fee to $100 if not an elite.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:14 pm

Thanks for the fast response WineCountryUA!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:49 pm

Wine Country, thanks for the quick reply.

Before posting my query I did try the first link, entered the information, and the screen took me back to the starting screen (no display of ETC value). Tried several times.

Thanks for the second link.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Is there ever a companion upgrade to BF on International Flights?

I know this is probably a NO. But I fly out tomorrow on my #1 Bucket List trip, the destination I've tried to reach for over 40 years-Greece. My best friend in the WORLD is flying with me and we're at Sheraton ORD trying to sleep. Well she is asleep and I'm worried about tomorrow. I bought a great BF ticket months ago. But my BFF is in econ plus. It's our 1st big trip together and I'd love for her to be upgraded. I'm only Gold with UA/Star Alliance and she has no status. BF is flush with seats. Is there EVER an allowance for that? We've planned this since last Fall. I've been terribly ill but we made it through and we're going! Yet I can't help but wish that she were in BF with me. We've planned this trip for years, and as I travel a lot, I arranged for us to meet up in Chicago the night before to get some rest, have some fun. We've talked every night since we started the hard planning back in the fall. It's the 1st of many trips to come, but it is also our dream trip. I know the answer will be no, but I see they have an upgrade list. How do people get on that? Won't they try to fill the BF seats? I know, I'm reaching. It's just that she spends her life giving back to the community, and has her 1st real vacation in years. I had no problem getting amazing suites in Greece as I'm cashing in all my star points, but I feel bad leaving her in economy. I have nerve damage in legs, foot and back so I need a BF seat. I couldn't take the trip without it. I just wish for a moment that we were back in the old CO days when the GAs just let ppl UG for special occasions. I even got her to sign up for UA ff card. She's talking about another trip already, LOL! This is my #1 Bucket List Dream. AS it is a dream, I guess I can dream that she gets upgraded.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think you know the answer. Had I really wanted someone in BF, I could have found a way - trading for points to book a BF seat with miles, trading for an upgrade (after buying up to W), etc. But the night before....well, unless she's in a W fare or above, and you can get a GPU from someone..
Old May 3, 2016, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thaliajen
AS it is a dream, I guess I can dream that she gets upgraded.
Roughly zero chance it happens for free. Slim chance you'll be offered the option to buy up for ~$700-1000 during the check-in process.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:40 am

My parents have a few TCVAs. Is there an easy way for me to check on their behalf when they expire? Assume they have the TCVA number but not the original email that gives the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.