Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:15 am

First time poster, great site. I have a question involving stopovers and business class. My itinerary will be:
RDU > Bangkok
Bangkok > Siem Reap
Siem Reap > RDU

I'm new to points and miles, so I was playing around with United miles booking and noticed something interesting. When it's a stopover, they halve the price for each leg. But they also show the different classes as options.

Ideally, what I would love to do is to split a stop-over between Business and Economy. So for the long part of the stopover, I want to fly business to Bangkok. For the short part, Economy to Siem Reap. And return economy to Raleigh. This would be taking advantage of a disproportional stopover and saving 20k of miles.

Raleigh to Bangkok as part of a stopover (40k Business Saver)
Bangkok to Siem Reap as part of a stopover (20k Economy Saver)
Siem Reap to Raleigh (40k Economy Saver)

When I try to book, It only allows me to pick 1 leg and then the error comes. But I don't know if the error is caused by something else or if I can't mix economy/business for the stopover.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
When it's a stopover, they halve the price for each leg. But they also show the different classes as options.
That's a display error. It has nothing to do with the stopover, it's because you're using the multi-city booking tool. The per-segment price you are seeing is erroneous and cannot be booked. The price for a business saver one-way to South Asia on a *A partner is 80K miles, and the round-trip is 160K. There's no way to discount those numbers.

When I try to book, It only allows me to pick 1 leg and then the error comes. But I don't know if the error is caused by something else or if I can't mix economy/business for the stopover.
Several possibilities. Most basic is that the website chokes on complex itineraries. Most of the time these must be called in to book.

Note you are also subject to segment/transfer limitations on that routing. You can have a max of four transfers each direction (outbound/inbound).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a display error. It has nothing to do with the stopover, it's because you're using the multi-city booking tool. The per-segment price you are seeing is erroneous and cannot be booked. The price for a business saver one-way to South Asia on a *A partner is 80K miles, and the round-trip is 160K. There's no way to discount those numbers.

Several possibilities. Most basic is that the website chokes on complex itineraries. Most of the time these must be called in to book.

Note you are also subject to segment/transfer limitations on that routing. You can have a max of four transfers each direction (outbound/inbound).
Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I just tried to redeem my miles for some online shopping but for some reason I got a message saying that I'm not eligible to use miles for online purchases. Oh well, I guess they'll just expire then. Thanks anyway.
Not sure why you would get that message.

There's a whole threat in this forum about keeping miles alive. I believe the consensus is to buy magazine subscription via UA portal. I'd try that first, and/or ask in Keep miles alive thread.

I've done that with AA, and others have with UA (and others that I don't follow I'm sure).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not sure why you would get that message.

There's a whole threat in this forum about keeping miles alive. I believe the consensus is to buy magazine subscription via UA portal. I'd try that first, and/or ask in Keep miles alive thread.

I've done that with AA, and others have with UA (and others that I don't follow I'm sure).
Thanks EmailKid. I'm based in Europe and my guess is that the online shop is only available for people living in (North) America. For this reason magazine subscriptions aren't an option for me either. I'll try to find the thread about keeping the miles alive though, thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:19 am

I'll try to find the thread about keeping the miles alive though, thanks for the tip.
I see.

Try donating miles.

Here's the thread.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I see.

Try donating miles.

Here's the thread.
Thanks EmailKid!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by koppelman
Greetings
I am in a position where this year I will reach 3 million lifetime miles. I am close enough whereby I could reach this milestone without spending $12,000 PQD.

Would I still attain lifetime 1K status? Finally, do 3MM flyers continue to receive 6 GPUs annually irrespective of their flight and revenue activity?

Thanks
Koppelman
Lifetime status levels are exempt from other status requirements such as PQDs, minimum UA operated segments, ....

Lifetime 1Ks will receive the 6 GPUs (and RPUs) if not otherwise earned. The "not otherwise earned" is the key phrase. So if you fall short of earning 1K, you continue to be an 1K and receive the upgrades cert. However, if you earn 1K and receive those upgrade certs, you will not get a second set as Lifetime 1K.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rt-2015-a.html
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:31 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Thanks for your reply Wooglin. I just tried to redeem my miles for some online shopping but for some reason I got a message saying that I'm not eligible to use miles for online purchases. Oh well, I guess they'll just expire then. Thanks anyway.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
So all I have a question, it seems a wheel has come off at AS in the last six months or so and there are rumblings, one of which is me. Which begs me the question should I come back to UA? I already have Gold Premier through Marriott but can easily status match to PLT. I am in the NW and no issues with in and out of SFO or DEN.

So honest opinion ?

Thanks all
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
First time poster, great site. I have a question involving stopovers and business class. My itinerary will be:
RDU > Bangkok
Bangkok > Siem Reap
Siem Reap > RDU

I'm new to points and miles, so I was playing around with United miles booking and noticed something interesting. When it's a stopover, they halve the price for each leg. But they also show the different classes as options.

Ideally, what I would love to do is to split a stop-over between Business and Economy. So for the long part of the stopover, I want to fly business to Bangkok. For the short part, Economy to Siem Reap. And return economy to Raleigh. This would be taking advantage of a disproportional stopover and saving 20k of miles.

Raleigh to Bangkok as part of a stopover (40k Business Saver)
Bangkok to Siem Reap as part of a stopover (20k Economy Saver)
Siem Reap to Raleigh (40k Economy Saver)

You are allowed one free stopover on the award ticket. RDU-BKK-REP counts as a half round trip even with the stopover, so it is 80k miles in *A J or 40k in Y. As Kacee noted, the booking engine is a little misleading, in that it will show each segment at one half of the full RDU-REP price, although the segments cannot be booked separately at that price.

You should be charged the through fare for the highest class of service on any segment, so RDU-BKK-REP-RDU will always be at least 120k miles with a minimum of one segment in *A J, and 160k if both directions have J segments. So you could book the cabins you suggested, but it should price as 120k miles. The booking engine may have trouble doing this if it implicitly thinks BKK is the stopover and REP is the destination.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:15 pm

I am sure the answer is here somewhere, but I didn't find it.

On the first day award bookings open (i.e. ~335 days out), when do the awards become available on united.com?

Since I'm booking for the busy early Jan 2017 period, I need to move quickly. I can see that, on preceding days, seats are being released before morning on the first day, but I don't know if it is exactly at midnight (of what time zone?) or some other time.

If relevant, this is for booking on TG connecting to NH.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I am sure the answer is here somewhere, but I didn't find it.

On the first day award bookings open (i.e. ~335 days out), when do the awards become available on united.com?
Short answer: No one knows.

Believe consensus is that awards can show up anytime, disappear anytime, or just not appear at all, depending on Revenue Management. And with partners it could be even more of a mystery.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:34 pm

Short answer: No one knows.

Believe consensus is that awards can show up anytime, disappear anytime, or just not appear at all, depending on Revenue Management. And with partners it could be even more of a mystery.
I do understand that awards are released at random, but I had a somewhat narrower question.

I can see the specific awards I want (but for previous days) appearing by morning each day, 335 days out. If an award actually appears on Day 1, which I understand is not guaranteed, does united.com start allowing bookings at midnight (Central) or after a few hours? In other words, should I stay up past midnight or wake up early?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If an award actually appears on Day 1, which I understand is not guaranteed, does united.com start allowing bookings at midnight (Central) or after a few hours? In other words, should I stay up past midnight or wake up early?
Well, I had a couple of instances where award showed available, but unbookable (at the time). Called in, agent didn't even see it.

Waited, and couple of hours later I was able to book it.

So I would not get up in the middle of the night, but YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.