Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
MileagePlus question here, regarding UA and LH.

If I buy a discount economy ticket on UAL.com (or whatever the default is when buying online), is it possible to use miles to upgrade on LH from Y to J? It appears you have to not only buy a full fare ticket, but that you can only upgrade Y to F or J to F on LH. Is this true? Is there anyway to buy a Y ticket on LH and upgrade to J/F? Doesn't look like it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAL250
... If I buy a discount economy ticket on UAL.com (or whatever the default is when buying online), is it possible to use miles to upgrade on LH from Y to J? It appears you have to not only buy a full fare ticket, but that you can only upgrade Y to F or J to F on LH. Is this true? ...
Using miles to upgrade a partner flight is called a *A Mileage upgrade. To upgrade to LH business requires the ticket to be a full fare Y/B or a Premium Economy E/G -- no discounted economy fare ticket is eligible for UA MP mileage upgrade on LH.

To upgrade to LH F, you need a business fare class J/D/C

For more see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards - United

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards - Star Alliance site

Originally Posted by UAL250
... Is there anyway to buy a Y ticket on LH and upgrade to J/F? Doesn't look like it. ...
yes there is (see above) but not with discounted economy fares.

On the united site it states
Upgrade service classes

Economy to Business (on carriers that offer only Economy and Business cabins on two-cabin aircraft)
Economy to First (on carriers that offer only Economy and First cabins on two-cabin aircraft)
Business to First (on carriers that have three-cabin aircraft)
which seems to indicate no economy to business on three class -- that is not true, just poorly worded

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 8, 2016 at 2:55 pm Reason: Added *A site
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Using miles to upgrade a partner flight is called a *A Mileage upgrade. To upgrade to LH business requires the ticket to be a full fare Y/B or a Premium Economy E/G -- no discounted economy fare ticket is eligible for UA MP mileage upgrade on LH.

To upgrade to LH F, you need a business fare class J/D/C

For more see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards - United

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards - Star Alliance site

yes there is (see above) but not with discounted economy fares.

On the united site it states which seems to indicate no economy to business on three class -- that is not true, just poorly worded
Thank you very much, and the bold part was the part I was most confused by. Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
If I buy miles from https://buymiles.mileageplus.com and I put them on my Chase UC Card, is it considered "spend from United" (e.g. 2x miles on the dollar amount spend, or 1.5x like a non-United purchase)?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
So, I have to travel to YVR for work, so my company's travel agent made the reservation. It seems they made two separate one way reservations since I have two ticket numbers. one starting with 016 and one starting with 014.

The outbound routing is xxx-DEN-YVR, all on united, the return is YVR-YYZ-ORD-xxx, with the first leg on AC and the other two legs on Ua.

I have both UA and AC PNR's and can see all 5 flights on both websites.

The itinerary on UA doesn't list my mileage accrual information like all my other itineraries do, but from reading it seems that I will earn PQM, PQS, and PQD for the 4 united flights regardless of whether they are on the 016 ticket or the 014 ticket, and to the AC flight I will earn PQM and PQS, but will only earn PQD if it is on the 016 ticket (which I doubt because I am guessing the 016 ticket is the outbound and the 014 is the return).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw
... The itinerary on UA doesn't list my mileage accrual information like all my other itineraries do, but from reading it seems that I will earn PQM, PQS, and PQD for the 4 united flights regardless of whether they are on the 016 ticket or the 014 ticket, and to the AC flight I will earn PQM and PQS, but will only earn PQD if it is on the 016 ticket (which I doubt because I am guessing the 016 ticket is the outbound and the 014 is the return).
You are correct, if crediting to UA MP, your earning for UA segments will be the same (including PQD) regardless of 016 or 014 ticket. You will not get the PDQ for the AC segments on the 014 ticket.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:47 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Air Do / AirDo / Air-Do

This question is notoriously difficult to search for, so please forgive me if this question has been asked before.

Do ANA flights operated by AirDo (e.g. the ANA4xxx flights from Obihiro to Haneda) earn mileage on MileagePlus?

Thanks in advance

HTB.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by htb
Do ANA flights operated by AirDo (e.g. the ANA4xxx flights from Obihiro to Haneda) earn mileage on MileagePlus?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...666-airdo.html

Last edited by mahasamatman; Apr 9, 2016 at 10:00 pm Reason: No comment.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: SQ *G, MP
Originally Posted by Kacee
What I would say is that UA theoretically can check the bags through, but it's totally hit and miss whether they will be able to b/c this is a difficult task to accomplish in SHARES.

There are numerous confirmatory reports, including quite a few where the cs agents basically threw up their hands and said they couldn't do it.

It's much easier to interline across carriers than it is to check bags across separate tix UA-UA.

I would not do 65 minutes at EWR on separate tix. Especially not inbound from SFO. Risk of a miss is too high.

Nor would I count on being able to check across separate UA tix as a basis for booking a 65 minute connection.

Thanks everyone for the advice.... Booked myself onto the next flight which is 11:40 instead... so I got a 2.5+ hours buffer between 2 flights just to play safe. In fact I will be flying in from overseas, just checked with the UA reservation saying that I could check my bags through to MCO from HK in Singapore airline, as I have SQ reward ticket to SFO. Well I could just chill in the lounge if I got spare time before my flight.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:04 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by taiko225
In fact I will be flying in from overseas, just checked with the UA reservation saying that I could check my bags through to MCO from HK in Singapore airline, as I have SQ reward ticket to SFO.
Um, you do realize that you have to physically take the checked bag through Customs, right? Then drop it at bag drop to get on next flight @:-)
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, you do realize that you have to physically take the checked bag through Customs, right? Then drop it at bag drop to get on next flight
Just to clarify for the OP - this is at your first port of entry into the U.S.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:59 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear, but expected

HTB.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I flew a trip last month that I bought on the UA website which included two AC flights. When the credit posted, I got the PQMs as expected, but was not credited any UA lifetime miles for the AC flights. Is this normal? I thought since the flights were purchased on UA that they would count.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
Is this normal? I thought since the flights were purchased on UA that they would count.
Yes. Only UA and UAX metal, not even codeshares.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Sorry for the simple question, but I am unclear on earning UA miles. From reading UA.com it appears that you don't get any benefit of additional miles for flying UA metal vs. many of the major *A partners (if both booked on UA.com). Is the correct?

As a UA Plat., it would appear I would get similar miles (9x the core ticket price) and 200% PQM for a flight from ORD to FRA on either UA or LH. Is this accurate? Or do I get some additional bonus for flying UA metal that does not show when you search the ticket on UA.com? This assumes both the UA flight and the partner flight are the same fare class (P in this case).

Thanks.

Last edited by RockyMntFlyer; Apr 10, 2016 at 9:37 am Reason: additional info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.