Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Matt Newbie
I tried to book award from FRA > UUS but on none of the dates it gives back results.

If I search FRA > ICN and ICN > UUS it has no issues to find the available Asiana flights. Can anyone explain why this is?
Sorry, but that is not a valid routing for a Europe to North America award.

You can book it using the multi-city function (or by calling), but it will price as two separate one-way tickets.
Old May 16, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, but that is not a valid routing for a Europe to North America award.

You can book it using the multi-city function (or by calling), but it will price as two separate one-way tickets.

This is no routing to North America, UUS is an airport in Russia. Flights on Asiana are available from FRA > ICN > UUS but not as award. (It is actually a Europe > Europe award while passing through Asia)
Old May 16, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Matt Newbie
This is no routing to North America, UUS is an airport in Russia. Flights on Asiana are available from FRA > ICN > UUS but not as award. (It is actually a Europe > Europe award while passing through Asia)
Sorry, misunderstood.

Airlines make limited seats available for awards, so it may just be a lack of award availability. Or it may not be a permitted routing for that award (which is certainly possible).
Old May 16, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Tried a sample date of a one way award FRA-UUS of 20Jun-22Jun and I could not get .bomb to price, although there is availability on both segments so it should ticket. It's not exactly an easy itinerary to piece together though, so I would not be surprised that the booking engine is just hitting a query timeout somewhere. Entirely possible that it tries to query +/- 2 months because of the calendar feature.

I would try calling to get an agent to use the computer to price it - you can search individual segments to check award availability.

But not an easy flight to meet - I built a ~21h layover in ICN (which could be a benefit, really )

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr  Flight  Orig  Dest   Dep     Arr   Equip  Days      Starts      Ends
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 OZ     576   ICN   UUS  09:00  14:10    321    W F U  04-May-16  28-Oct-16
 OZ     576   ICN   UUS  08:50  13:00    321  M  RF    31-Oct-16  17-May-17

OZ     575   UUS   ICN  16:00  17:40    321    W F U  04-May-16  28-Oct-16
 OZ     575   UUS   ICN  15:15  18:10    321  M  RF    31-Oct-16  17-May-17
Old May 16, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Tried a sample date of a one way award FRA-UUS of 20Jun-22Jun and I could not get .bomb to price, although there is availability on both segments so it should ticket.

I would try calling to get an agent to use the computer to price it - you can search individual segments to check award availability.
Despite the fact that UUS is north of Sapporo, Japan, UA considers it to be "Europe." Although I can't find any specific text to this effect -- UA's award routing rules are notoriously opaque -- I would be shocked if it were legal to transit North Asia on a Europe-Europe award. (40K miles for first class from CDG-ICN-FRA? :-)

You should be able to get an agent to book it for you, but it will almost certainly price as two awards -- Europe to North Asia and then North Asia to Europe.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Despite the fact that UUS is north of Sapporo, Japan, UA considers it to be "Europe." Although I can't find any specific text to this effect -- UA's award routing rules are notoriously opaque -- I would be shocked if it were legal to transit North Asia on a Europe-Europe award. (40K miles for first class from CDG-ICN-FRA? :-) ....
All of Russia is considered Europe -- no country (other than USA) is split into multiple regions.
And yes it has routing award problems.

This issue is likely similiar to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...k-handled.html
Old May 16, 2016, 6:50 pm

I booked a round trip revenue tickets from OSL to SFO on UA App. The trip involve segments from SAS. At the end, UA App said it needs to get confirmation from SAS and can take up to 24 hours. This I understand, but should it save the reservation under my account or at least send me a email confirming that I had made reservation? Does anyone have experience?
Old May 16, 2016, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by z8108
I booked a round trip revenue tickets from OSL to SFO on UA App. The trip involve segments from SAS. At the end, UA App said it needs to get confirmation from SAS and can take up to 24 hours. This I understand, but should it save the reservation under my account or at least send me a email confirming that I had made reservation? Does anyone have experience?
They should send you a "confirmation" e-mail that says it hasn't been ticketed yet and that they are awaiting confirmation from SAS. And the reservation should show on the UA website under "view reservations" with a similar notation.

Beware there have been lots of issues ticketing SK (SAS) flights through United.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:13 pm

They should send you a "confirmation" e-mail that says it hasn't been ticketed yet and that they are awaiting confirmation from SAS. And the reservation should show on the UA website under "view reservations" with a similar notation.

Beware there have been lots of issues ticketing SK (SAS) flights through United.
I has been over 10 hours now. No email, nothing under "view reservations".
Old May 16, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by z8108
I has been over 10 hours now. No email, nothing under "view reservations".
That's not normal. Is there an authorization on your credit card? In any event, I would call reservations and ask what's going on. Possible it just disappeared into the void. Better to find that out sooner rather than later.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Despite the fact that UUS is north of Sapporo, Japan, UA considers it to be "Europe." Although I can't find any specific text to this effect -- UA's award routing rules are notoriously opaque -- I would be shocked if it were legal to transit North Asia on a Europe-Europe award. (40K miles for first class from CDG-ICN-FRA? :-)

You should be able to get an agent to book it for you, but it will almost certainly price as two awards -- Europe to North Asia and then North Asia to Europe.
The rules template for intra-Europe awards prohibits transiting Asia, so agreed it will probably not price favorably. But it should price.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH G, SPG
That's not normal. Is there an authorization on your credit card? In any event, I would call reservations and ask what's going on. Possible it just disappeared into the void. Better to find that out sooner rather than later.
I have had it take 24 hours for the proper information to show. I try to avoid SAS as much as possible. Regardless if they are are the customer or not.

Love Scandinavia hate the airline sometimes.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:47 am

I have an award trip booked:
Raleigh - Kuala Lumpur
Krabi - Bangkok
Bangkok - Raleigh

I want to rearrange my itinerary to spend less time in Bangkok and at the same time avoid any rebooking fees which I believe will be $150 for 2 people/tickets. Would canceling the middle leg of this trip be considered rebooking? Is there a way to do this without incurring the $75 fee for each ticket?
Old May 17, 2016, 10:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
I have an award trip booked:
Raleigh - Kuala Lumpur
Krabi - Bangkok
Bangkok - Raleigh

I want to rearrange my itinerary to spend less time in Bangkok and at the same time avoid any rebooking fees which I believe will be $150 for 2 people/tickets. Would canceling the middle leg of this trip be considered rebooking? Is there a way to do this without incurring the $75 fee for each ticket?
Just changing award flight times is free if done 21 days before travel.
But deleting a segment (changing the destination or origin points) will likely incur a fee. About the only way to avoid if there has been a sufficient schedule change requiring rescheduling. What is sufficient, YMMV, but a couple of hours may work.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just changing award flight times is free if done 21 days before travel.
But deleting a segment (changing the destination or origin points) will likely incur a fee. About the only way to avoid if there has been a sufficient schedule change requiring rescheduling. What is sufficient, YMMV, but a couple of hours may work.
Thanks, I didn't realize changing flight times is free, and I assume that means changing the day of the same flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.