Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2015 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1641747-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k
MEL-LAX and/or LAX-MEL have been cancelled about 4-5 times this month alone, I find that being well above average for any route, correct me if I am wrong.

Next UA99 is cancelled because of " Canceled due to required crew rest ", was wondering how this happens? did the crew supposed to be on UA99 simply come in late? Or is this poor planning?

I heavily rely on this route, and getting more concerned about the on time perfomance, as I have been affected twice by a cancelation on this route within 2 weeks.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by Maximilion
MEL-LAX and/or LAX-MEL have been cancelled about 4-5 times this month alone, I find that being well above average for any route, correct me if I am wrong.

Next UA99 is cancelled because of " Canceled due to required crew rest ", was wondering how this happens? did the crew supposed to be on UA99 simply come in late? Or is this poor planning?

I heavily rely on this route, and getting more concerned about the on time perfomance, as I have been affected twice by a cancelation on this route within 2 weeks.
They're simply not going to be able to fix this until they get the crews onto 1.5 to 2 day layovers (depending on the route and flight volume). Problem is plane arrives 4 hours late...crew has to rest 24 hours...so, then they can't return making the the next day's flight at least 3 hours late. tHe inability to run a global schedule since the Continental takeover is surreal...can't think of any other airline that is this unreliable.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by Maximilion

Today's flight was cancelled due to storms in MEL, the aircraft diverted to SYD therefore crew were out of hours and UA had to fly up crew from MEL to ferry the aircraft back to MEL. With that extra segment added on, the outbound crew due to operate today's UA99 were out of hours. I was hoping for UA to launch MEL-SFO at least then some pax would have a 2nd option if the LAX flight was cancelled.

There will be an extra flight on 24/1 operating as UA2052 as result of today's cancellation.

I guess there are x2 QF flights exMEL departing for LAX so I guess they can book pax onto those services or onto NZ services.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by soorox
Today's flight was cancelled due to storms in MEL, the aircraft diverted to SYD therefore crew were out of hours and UA had to fly up crew from MEL to ferry the aircraft back to MEL. With that extra segment added on, the outbound crew due to operate today's UA99 were out of hours. I was hoping for UA to launch MEL-SFO at least then some pax would have a 2nd option if the LAX flight was cancelled.

There will be an extra flight on 24/1 operating as UA2052 as result of today's cancellation.

I guess there are x2 QF flights exMEL departing for LAX so I guess they can book pax onto those services or onto NZ services.
It is hard to believe that UA is profitable on this route and all these cancellations only drive down its competitiveness further. It seems only a matter of time before UA MX permanently LAX-MEL..One can only hope in this event that they don't regress to the previous SYD-MEL relay flight schedule!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by IainC
It is hard to believe that UA is profitable on this route and all these cancellations only drive down its competitiveness further. It seems only a matter of time before UA MX permanently LAX-MEL..One can only hope in this event that they don't regress to the previous SYD-MEL relay flight schedule!
Problem is LAX-MEL is sCO with shorter breaks in their contract, while everything else (i.e. SYD-LAX, SYD-SFO) is sUA with longer breaks hence legally OK to shorten, am I right?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by IainC
If it wasn't, then why even bother to operate MEL-LAX non-stop, instead of axing it completely from the start?

Last edited by goalie; Jan 22, 2016 at 11:15 am Reason: Discuss the issue not each other
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:30 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Today's FRA-IAD flights had multiple issues, one of them canceled according to the people I overheard at FRA getting put on LH instead. The inbounds seemed to arrive ok, so I guess it was a problem on the ground in FRA.

Fri 1/22, 988 FRA-IAD canceled, replaced by 8827(?)
Fri 1/22, 933 FRA-IAD canceled

Oh, and updated: today's flights in the opposite direction are also canceled.
Fri 1/22, 989 IAD-FRA canceled, replaced by 8826(?)
Fri 1/22, 932 IAD-FRA canceled
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
Oh, and updated: today's flights in the opposite direction are also canceled.
Fri 1/22, 989 IAD-FRA canceled, replaced by 8826(?)
Fri 1/22, 932 IAD-FRA canceled
As are all other flights out of/to IAD at this point.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2016-a.html
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I do believe UA gets a pass on these cancellations.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by wrp96
I do believe UA gets a pass on these cancellations.
Yes they do - and I give them credit for being unusually proactive and flexible in most cases - the agents are exhausted but working really hard - I find it difficult to criticize anything they have done in relation to this event....
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes they do - and I give them credit for being unusually proactive and flexible in most cases - the agents are exhausted but working really hard - I find it difficult to criticize anything they have done in relation to this event....
+1

A couple of years ago, these flights might have taken off and then diverted to Gander or Bangor while the Northeast dug out. Trust me, staying in Frankfurt is far preferable ....
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Real-time update!

UA 851 ORD-PEK, 1220 departure. About 50 minute delay for deicing, but then up, up, and away. About an hour out of ORD the Captain announced that there was a fault in an anti-ice valve on the #2 engine, so we could not fly through icing nor continue on a polar route. The decision was made to divert to LAX for its good weather and UA support.

Upon landing the GS rep told us there is now a 1900 decision time (about 2-1/2 hours from now), if they can fix the problem and find a new crew (pilots would obviously time out). We five GSs are protected on CA at 0040 Saturday, and hanging out at the ex-GFL above the rotunda.

ETA -- 1800 update at LAX: GS given choice of CA at midnight or UA make-up flight (2059) on Sunday morning. The same bird will be used with a new crew.

Last edited by wxguy; Jan 22, 2016 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:17 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
oh of course, I totally forgot about the storm news while in Europe. Yet LH is flying?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
oh of course, I totally forgot about the storm news while in Europe. Yet LH is flying?
http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Travel-information

On Friday 22nd of January, our flight from Munich to Charlotte will be cancelled. On Saturday 23rd of January, 10 flights scheduled to depart from Germany to Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York (Newark and JFK) will also be cancelled.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by soorox
If it wasn't, then why even bother to operate MEL-LAX non-stop, instead of axing it completely from the start?
Ah, time will tell won't it? UA in La La land embarked upon the LAX-MEL route with the 789 thinking it would be a winner. They must have had some sort of business case in hand to feel it would be profitable. However, the route has been plagued with MXs and cancelled flights. Not much consumer confidence in the reliability of UA and worse in the in flight product - pay for snacks on a 13.5 h flight? Give me a break! The fact of the matter is that with all the new competition, UA is hopelessly outclassed now on the AUS-USA routes. My feeling is UA LAX-MEL is doomed.

Last edited by IainC; Jan 23, 2016 at 1:29 am Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.