Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2015 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1641747-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Held at SFO for "weather?"
It was actually lovely here yesterday
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:30 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Kmxu
2/3, UA881, ORD-NRT, delayed 3h23m due to maintenance;
2/4, UA838, NRT-SFO, delayed 2h30m due to late arrival of ua881.
I took 881 the next day and some of the NRT FAs on my flight timed-out on that one.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
2/7 UA35 SFO-KIX 788 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
2/8 UA34 KIX-SFO 788 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
UA98 LAX-MEL cancelled last night.. N38950
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by flyGreg
UA98 LAX-MEL cancelled last night.. N38950
Which seems to happen regularly (and I am due to take this flight in a few weeks). What are the best alternatives when this happens?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by truncated
2/7 UA35 SFO-KIX 788 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
2/8 UA34 KIX-SFO 788 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
This was actually an emergency landing:
http://avherald.com/h?article=49397290&opt=0
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Which seems to happen regularly (and I am due to take this flight in a few weeks). What are the best alternatives when this happens?
Probably to be FIM'ed over to AA or QF; it isn't perfect, but at least you'll get there.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
Probably to be FIM'ed over to AA or QF; it isn't perfect, but at least you'll get there.
But after 11 pm in LAX, are there any other flights to Australia that depart less than 20 hours later?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
2/4 UA160 Delayed due to late aircraft arrival due to MX. Around 3h.

Sorry for the late report.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by transportprof
But after 11 pm in LAX, are there any other flights to Australia that depart less than 20 hours later?
Virgin has a flight to BNE that leaves at 2350 I believe. That's probably your best option if it can happen fast. QANTAS can do the same, but it leaves at 2320.

China Southern can route you through CAN to MEL, also leaves LAX at 2350

With Cathay you can route through HKG. Flight departs LAX at 0055.

Lastly, depending on the day, China Airlines and Air China could potentially get you there. Your best options are the first two, but it requires having knowledge of the delay. If you start getting into a rolling delay, your options become limited to get out the same "day" (without having to wait 20+ hours)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by transportprof
QF no longer has daytime departures to Oz?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Virgin has a flight to BNE that leaves at 2350 I believe. That's probably your best option if it can happen fast. QANTAS can do the same, but it leaves at 2320.

China Southern can route you through CAN to MEL, also leaves LAX at 2350

With Cathay you can route through HKG. Flight departs LAX at 0055.

Lastly, depending on the day, China Airlines and Air China could potentially get you there. Your best options are the first two, but it requires having knowledge of the delay. If you start getting into a rolling delay, your options become limited to get out the same "day" (without having to wait 20+ hours)
Good o know.

My LAX-MEL was cancelled three times this year alone, wonder what is causing all these cancelation, one would think United would be interested in solving the problem once and for all.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:26 pm

Guys, I'm pre-planning for the possibility of my UA98 being cancelled as well. Of course, the odds are in favour of that not happening, but if it does, I would like to maximize my chances of being re-booked the same night to SYD or MEL. I really don't know much about how a cancellation like this is handled (and by "like this", I mean - the only flight out that night by the airline). I have missed connections in my life before, and was automatically rebooked by the computer, but by talking to a counter agent, I got booked on a better (direct) flight to alleviate my missed connection. I wouldn't have been put on the flight if I hadn't advocated for myself hard! If it turns out that I have the misfortune of being on a canceled UA98:

1) what's the best way to find out about the cancellation as early as possible before its announced over the PA or emailed to me from United? The Website, airport site, flight apps, chatting with gate agents? Etc.

2) if the cancelation happens, do they rebook me automatically or do I have to do it myself?

3) if Its a last minute cancellation (ie an hour or two before the flight) and I have to deal with it while I am at the airport, what's the best way to ensure You get near the front of the queue. is it best to see gate agents, customer service agents at the United desk, or, should I Call the phone line ASAP?

I notice UA98 seems to be a pretty full flight in most cases. Let's say next evening's UA98 was also booked up, what's the Worst case scenario, does United fly a special flight in the morning for the passengers who couldn't rebook?

FWIW, I am on an award ticket, and, I have flight delay insurance (a kind which covers award tickets)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by marktwothousand
Guys, I'm pre-planning for the possibility of my UA98 being cancelled as well. Of course, the odds are in favour of that not happening, but if it does, I would like to maximize my chances of being re-booked the same night to SYD or MEL. I really don't know much about how a cancellation like this is handled (and by "like this", I mean - the only flight out that night by the airline). I have missed connections in my life before, and was automatically rebooked by the computer, but by talking to a counter agent, I got booked on a better (direct) flight to alleviate my missed connection. I wouldn't have been put on the flight if I hadn't advocated for myself hard! If it turns out that I have the misfortune of being on a canceled UA98:

1) what's the best way to find out about the cancellation as early as possible before its announced over the PA or emailed to me from United? The Website, airport site, flight apps, chatting with gate agents? Etc.

2) if the cancelation happens, do they rebook me automatically or do I have to do it myself?

3) if Its a last minute cancellation (ie an hour or two before the flight) and I have to deal with it while I am at the airport, what's the best way to ensure You get near the front of the queue. is it best to see gate agents, customer service agents at the United desk, or, should I Call the phone line ASAP?

I notice UA98 seems to be a pretty full flight in most cases. Let's say next evening's UA98 was also booked up, what's the Worst case scenario, does United fly a special flight in the morning for the passengers who couldn't rebook?

FWIW, I am on an award ticket, and, I have flight delay insurance (a kind which covers award tickets)
1.) the united App, sign up for Flight notification, you can also check " where is the airplane coming from " and get more information this way.

2.) Usually they rebook you automatically on the next united flight to Mel in this case they will have two planes leaving for MEL the next night around 11pm.

3.) Last minute is not 1 or 2 hours before the flight leaves, in my case I often sat at the lounge unti midnight before they officially cancelled the flight.

Knowing 1 or 2 hours before is a luxury, and leaves you with the options other people mentioned above.

Either way with any flight you may hop on that night, there will be a significant delay in getting to MEL, as UA98 is the earliest to arrive.

Best of luck ill be taking it this week as well as UA99

btw. in any of my cancellation ground staff was great, rebooked me immediacy and e cert was issued the next day, hotel and transport was also booked for me. If you can call the hotline immediately once you know about the cancelation, this will get you the best chances.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by marktwothousand
If your travel insurance covers it, and your bank balance can manage the float, why not book a refundable ticket on the last alternative flight out to Australia that night and cancel it once it is clear your flight will be departing?

Then you could either cancel the ticket or submit it for an insurance claim.

I've got a flight on 98 to MEL at the end of March. I'm planning to arrive on a Friday, with my first day of business being on a Monday to provide a cushion for just such a travel disruption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.