FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:44 pm
Maximilion

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by marktwothousand
Guys, I'm pre-planning for the possibility of my UA98 being cancelled as well. Of course, the odds are in favour of that not happening, but if it does, I would like to maximize my chances of being re-booked the same night to SYD or MEL. I really don't know much about how a cancellation like this is handled (and by "like this", I mean - the only flight out that night by the airline). I have missed connections in my life before, and was automatically rebooked by the computer, but by talking to a counter agent, I got booked on a better (direct) flight to alleviate my missed connection. I wouldn't have been put on the flight if I hadn't advocated for myself hard! If it turns out that I have the misfortune of being on a canceled UA98:

1) what's the best way to find out about the cancellation as early as possible before its announced over the PA or emailed to me from United? The Website, airport site, flight apps, chatting with gate agents? Etc.

2) if the cancelation happens, do they rebook me automatically or do I have to do it myself?

3) if Its a last minute cancellation (ie an hour or two before the flight) and I have to deal with it while I am at the airport, what's the best way to ensure You get near the front of the queue. is it best to see gate agents, customer service agents at the United desk, or, should I Call the phone line ASAP?

I notice UA98 seems to be a pretty full flight in most cases. Let's say next evening's UA98 was also booked up, what's the Worst case scenario, does United fly a special flight in the morning for the passengers who couldn't rebook?

FWIW, I am on an award ticket, and, I have flight delay insurance (a kind which covers award tickets)
1.) the united App, sign up for Flight notification, you can also check " where is the airplane coming from " and get more information this way.

2.) Usually they rebook you automatically on the next united flight to Mel in this case they will have two planes leaving for MEL the next night around 11pm.

3.) Last minute is not 1 or 2 hours before the flight leaves, in my case I often sat at the lounge unti midnight before they officially cancelled the flight.

Knowing 1 or 2 hours before is a luxury, and leaves you with the options other people mentioned above.

Either way with any flight you may hop on that night, there will be a significant delay in getting to MEL, as UA98 is the earliest to arrive.

Best of luck ill be taking it this week as well as UA99

btw. in any of my cancellation ground staff was great, rebooked me immediacy and e cert was issued the next day, hotel and transport was also booked for me. If you can call the hotline immediately once you know about the cancelation, this will get you the best chances.