FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735606-2016-lets-eat-domestic-canada-latin-america-first-business-p-s-businessfirst.html)

goodeats21 Mar 23, 2016 6:13 am

Originally Posted by raik783 (Post 26373436)
Just bumping this. Any of you guys have any advice? Thanks!

Agreed. You may be able to graze off the provided options, but might be challenging to get a full meals worth.

transportprof Mar 23, 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 26373465)
I would bring food. You'll most likely have to choose lesser of the evils, pick at it as you can and eat your own stuff as well.

Out of JFK, weren't ps the last domestic flights (along with Hawaii) that allowed a selection of special meals?

Might be worth calling in and trying to order a vegan special meal.

goodeats21 Mar 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 26375805)
Out of JFK, weren't ps the last domestic flights (along with Hawaii) that allowed a selection of special meals?

Might be worth calling in and trying to order a vegan special meal.

Ah, good point. I forgot about special meals. p.s. flights still offer them, including the option for a strict vegetarian (vegan) meal, which would also be dairy free.

PTahCha Mar 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Looks like p.s. flights in/out of EWR still offer special meals.

U.S. flights

Special meals are available in premium cabins on the following U.S. flights with scheduled meal service:

p.s.® Premium Service flights
From the continental U.S. to Hawaii
From Honolulu and Maui to the continental U.S.
Meal options are here.

raik783 Mar 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 26376671)
Looks like p.s. flights in/out of EWR still offer special meals.

Meal options are here.

Thanks guys for your advice! I called in and requested for a vegetarian, no dairy option. I'll post pictures here of what we end up getting. I'm thinking of bringing some food anyway, just in case.

transportprof Mar 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by raik783 (Post 26376716)
Thanks guys for your advice! I called in and requested for a vegetarian, no dairy option. I'll post pictures here of what we end up getting. I'm thinking of bringing some food anyway, just in case.

My experience on special mail execution rate on Hawaii and ps flights is around 50%. So be prepared for a quizzical response when you ask for your special meal enroute. And in that case, take consolation in the likelihood of a $150 (or thereabouts) ETC when you advise UA of the service failure.

dmurphynj Mar 24, 2016 5:42 am

AUS-EWR

1 Attachment(s)
UA1643
AUS-EWR
Breakfast

My reaction ... Enough said!

PTahCha Mar 24, 2016 8:53 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 26377032)
My experience on special mail execution rate on Hawaii and ps flights is around 50%. So be prepared for a quizzical response when you ask for your special meal enroute. And in that case, take consolation in the likelihood of a $150 (or thereabouts) ETC when you advise UA of the service failure.

To guarantee success, board early, and confirm with purser/service manager/galley FA of your section that the special meal has been boarded. If not, they can call the catering company to replenish, if there's enough time for them to rectify the mistake.

st530 Mar 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Four (!) options on last night's flight (LGA-IAH): jambalaya, chicken with cous cous, lentil chili or salad with grilled chicken.

Went with the chicken with cous cous. Nice side salad of arugula with strawberries and mandarin oranges. Both the salad and entree were quite tasty. As was the chewy roll (not hot though).

Cookie for dessert.

One day I will figure out how to post pics ...

Incidentally, the guy next to me got the salad with grilled chicken. It came with ... a side salad.

physioprof Mar 25, 2016 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 26386564)
Four (!) options on last night's flight (LGA-IAH): jambalaya, chicken with cous cous, lentil chili or salad with grilled chicken.

Went with the chicken with cous cous. Nice side salad of arugula with strawberries and mandarin oranges. Both the salad and entree were quite tasty. As was the chewy roll (not hot though).

Cookie for dessert.

One day I will figure out how to post pics ...

Incidentally, the guy next to me got the salad with grilled chicken. It came with ... a side salad.

I had the chicken panini sangwich today on IAH-SNA, and it was served with a side arugula salad. I love arugula and am very discerning about its quality, and it was excellent! Really fresh and tasty! (I didn't bother with the disgusting high-fructose corn syrup "fat free lemon dressing".)

krentzie Mar 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 26379423)
UA1643
AUS-EWR
Breakfast

My reaction ... Enough said!

Lol. It is without a doubt my favorite UA meal. Absolutely amazing

UA_Flyer Mar 25, 2016 10:52 pm

March 25 SFO-IAD Lunch

My second SFO-IAD (UA flight # 727) flight this month. See post 170 for previous flight.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a...D720/ry%3D480/

SFO 1K Mar 26, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 26386564)

I'm betting they had leftovers from wherever the flight came from. Probably double catered for out and back and the FA offered a little of everything. Also possible the outbound FA did the same thing and messed up the counts - forcing the need to offer a little of everything until they were all gone.

764toHI Mar 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 26388386)
My second SFO-IAD (UA flight # 727) flight this month. See post 170 for previous flight.

Was the chicken as dry as it looks?

UA_Flyer Mar 27, 2016 2:28 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 26391797)
Was the chicken as dry as it looks?

Not dry at all. I was surprised how juicy and tender it was. It was actually quite good for a change.