FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735606-2016-lets-eat-domestic-canada-latin-america-first-business-p-s-businessfirst.html)

REPUBLIC757 Mar 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post 26365487)
The chicken quality is much better than the 2013 version though the corn salsa had a little more flavor if I recall correctly.

Needless to say its nice to have something decent on Express flights; granted the snack plates seemed to be superior to the hot entrées so if there were any carryovers thankfully it was the better of the two.

I was going to say, I don't think I've seen this meal in over 3+ years. When it was served, it was definitely on longer mainline mid-cons. More than fine for Express.

The SFO-IAD flight has a nice cut of beef but I can't rally behind UA's new salads. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't want goat cheese, pineapple or oranges in a salad. They seem to keep the International J & F salad catering very traditional but domestic they get edgier. Any idea why?

For desert, I liked them more traditional and not a fan of sorbet (really just don't like citrus in general). They ever think about switching back to Gelato or Ice Cream on T-Cons?

RandomBaritone Mar 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 (Post 26365740)
The SFO-IAD flight has a nice cut of beef but I can't rally behind UA's new salads. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't want goat cheese, pineapple or oranges in a salad. They seem to keep the International J & F salad catering very traditional but domestic they get edgier. Any idea why?

Here's part of why, though for now it only applies to p.s. flights:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...erProject.aspx

International premium meals haven't yet been touched, which is why we still see so many pork chops and spinach canneloni.

I hear what you're saying about wanting more traditional salads, but don't knock the new concoctions until you've tried them. Goat cheese is about the mildest, creamiest cheese you can eat; it's basically cream cheese with a bit more structure.

REPUBLIC757 Mar 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 26365804)
Here's part of why, though for now it only applies to p.s. flights:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...erProject.aspx

I hear what you're saying about wanting more traditional salads, but don't knock the new concoctions until you've tried them. Goat cheese is about the mildest, creamiest cheese you can eat; it's basically cream cheese with a bit more structure.

Goat cheese is the same in the air as on the ground for me. I've had a bite of DL's goat cheese on a F domestic lunch one time (not knowing I was eating it) and couldn't finish the rest. Any kind of Brie, Goat, etc - not my thing.

findark Mar 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 (Post 26365740)
The SFO-IAD flight has a nice cut of beef but I can't rally behind UA's new salads. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't want goat cheese, pineapple or oranges in a salad.

I have to disagree; I think the new salads are great and I like the variety introduced by adding new fruits and cheeses. To each his own, but I'm quite happy to see goat cheese and citrus in my salad.

PsiFighter37 Mar 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 26366110)
I have to disagree; I think the new salads are great and I like the variety introduced by adding new fruits and cheeses. To each his own, but I'm quite happy to see goat cheese and citrus in my salad.

I wish they would have some other salad dressing besides olive oil (which is not even salad dressing!!).

JVPhoto Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm

I'm with you the new salads are fantastic and things I would order on the ground.

raik783 Mar 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Any of you have any experience with the Vegetarian, no dairy breakfast options? I'm flying from SFO-EWR on BF next week and was wondering if I should bring any food with me instead. Thanks!

FBWFTW Mar 22, 2016 6:32 am

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 26361390)
3/6 UA15 EWR-HNL

Breakfast - Choice of Quiche, Crepe, or cereal
http://i64.tinypic.com/2dk0l95.jpg

Lunch - Chicken Sandwich - No choice
http://i66.tinypic.com/sfwg7o.jpg

Did the crepe replace the French toast casserole/soufflé everyone raves about?

qukslvr619 Mar 22, 2016 6:53 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 26366852)
I'm with you the new salads are fantastic and things I would order on the ground.

So I take it you aren't from the crowd that would rather have iceberg lettuce, ranch, and croutons?

Don't get me wrong, I love a carb laden salad every now and then, but I am happy to see UA look beyond the standard salad fare and mix it up. Internationally they could definitely use a refresh. But the key thing that UA has been going for lately is restaurant quality. Unless you are dining at Denny's, then most salads featured at restaurants are going to be more substantial or at least have a variety of ingredients. Granted I'm not a fan of spinach on a plane (it doesn't seems to hold well and either its half frozen or wilted) or kale for that matter (I can't jump on the love of kale bandwagon it seems too 'rough'), but again from where we were two years ago I'll take what they are offering.

MrAndy1369 Mar 22, 2016 7:21 am

I think they do experiments domestically because most of domestic F consists of either buy-ups at relatively low cash amounts and/or upgraders, so they have more room to "play around" and see results of what passengers like and don't like. Their rationale is that most people are getting upgraded to F for free, thus they don't really have "room" to complain.

International premium cabins get more true paid fares, so more likely for passengers to complain about a meal they don't like. Therefore, they probably play it safe on int'l routes and provide traditional meals so people won't complain as much.

JVPhoto Mar 22, 2016 7:27 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 (Post 26369080)
I think they do experiments domestically because most of domestic F consists of either buy-ups at relatively low cash amounts and/or upgraders, so they have more room to "play around" and see results of what passengers like and don't like. Their rationale is that most people are getting upgraded to F for free, thus they don't really have "room" to complain.

International premium cabins get more true paid fares, so more likely for passengers to complain about a meal they don't like. Therefore, they probably play it safe on int'l routes and provide traditional meals so people won't complain as much.

While I disagree with your assessment of domestic F my guess is that it came first because domestic catering stations and sourcing of goods is easier/controlled/shorter reach than dealing with a bunch of different catering in MEL, BOM, HKG, GUM, TXL, TLV and so on...

PTahCha Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 26366604)
I wish they would have some other salad dressing besides olive oil (which is not even salad dressing!!).

That's changing - most recent p.s. meals have real dressings. Balsamic vinaigrette on one flight, and mango balsamic on another.

REPUBLIC757 Mar 22, 2016 10:33 am

I think they should go one step further and allow pax to custom order salads online or on the plane. Just a suggestion for those who don't want anything out of the ordinary.

raik783 Mar 22, 2016 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by raik783 (Post 26367829)
Any of you have any experience with the Vegetarian, no dairy breakfast options? I'm flying from SFO-EWR on BF next week and was wondering if I should bring any food with me instead. Thanks!

Just bumping this. Any of you guys have any advice? Thanks!

JVPhoto Mar 22, 2016 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by raik783 (Post 26373436)
Just bumping this. Any of you guys have any advice? Thanks!

I would bring food. You'll most likely have to choose lesser of the evils, pick at it as you can and eat your own stuff as well.