FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735606-2016-lets-eat-domestic-canada-latin-america-first-business-p-s-businessfirst.html)

warreng24 Dec 31, 2015 9:37 pm

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

This thread is for the following First, Business, and p.s. BusinessFirst flights:
  • North America (including all 50 US States, Canada, and Mexico)
  • Caribbean, Latin American, and Central American Flights (except Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru and Venezuela)

Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information! :)

Here's United's official page on this category of Premium Cabin dining:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

For the curious folks, the 2015 thread is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nessfirst.html

With that, Let's Eat 2016!

warreng24 Dec 31, 2015 9:41 pm

reserved

mh3265a Jan 2, 2016 9:11 am

Stt-iad (1/1/2016)

STT-IAD
UA Business
737-700
1/1/2016

We had the option of salmon and rice or chicken and rice. My wife and I both choose the chicken (sorry we didn't take a photo) but it was a substantial piece of chicken with a white coconut/light curry sauce with basmati rice and a zucchini/tomato mix for the vegetable. All in all a decent meal.

We then were offered a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie after the dinner.

BlackBear05 Jan 2, 2016 9:29 am

SFO-BOS 1Jan16
United First
UA444 B753

Dinner

PDB
Hot Towel
Nuts

Arugula Salad w/ Watermelon and Feta
Wholegrain Breadstick

Choice of:
Grilled Chicken w/ White Rice, Carrots and Summer Squash
Grilled Salmon w/ Quiona, Carrots and Summer Squash
Vegetarian Option: Lentil thing (didn't get a look)

Mango Sorbet

White and Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie served on polystyrene plate ~1hr prior to landing

TWA Guy Jan 2, 2016 9:35 am

Lunch on DEN-IAD 1/1

1 Attachment(s)
1/1/16
DEN-IAD
UA 652
1550 departure
B737-900ER

Choice of chicken sandwich or chicken salad.

Rather curt and unfriendly FA took PDB orders and seemed pretty unhappy about it, especially when a young girl couldn't decide. Meal orders taken front to back with - what is your first choice after take off chicken sandwich or chicken salad then onto the next person "and you?"

Nice salad with breaded chicken served on the side with a bowl of fruit. Cookies distributed after trays were collected. Sandwich was rather large and served with a plate of grapes and small salad. Sandwich also had arugula, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce (according to my son).

kr777 Jan 2, 2016 7:54 pm

Jan 2.
ORD-IAH
11am Lunch
767-300ER 2-class

Hot Towels, PDB, nuts

Choices: Chicken with rice or Salad with Salmon

I went with Chicken with rice. It was good, wish there was more chicken though. No dessert. I was hoping for at least a cookie but never happened.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1544/...ffb81fcb_b.jpg

jewels421 Jan 3, 2016 12:49 am

ORD-DEN, 1/1 7:45 pm departure.

Two choices for dinner -- mushroom risotto (with peas and asparagus mixed in) or a southwest style chicken breast (chicken, southwest tomato-based sauce, white rice with some black beans mixed in, and a side of broccolini). Both came with a pretzel roll and side salad that was mixed greens with grapefruit & mandarin oranges and balsamic dressing. Husband and I got one of each -- the risotto was actually pretty darn delicious. As a vegetarian option, it is way better than the spinach ravioli we had on the way out, but not quite as good as the paneer dish. The chicken was fine -- above average but still a chicken and rice dish. No pics this time, sorry.

And I have no idea where the best place to post this is but SPRITE ZERO IS BACK!!! I just happened to look at the beverage options in the January Hemispheres and it was listed again. I asked for it and got it.... only one flight, so we'll see how consistent it is, but I'm so happy to have a diet, caffeine-free soda option back. The Dasani lime was not cutting it with me.

TWA Guy Jan 4, 2016 4:18 pm

3 Attachment(s)
1/4/16
IAD-SEA
UA 1221
0810 departure
B737-900ER

Choice of waffle, cereal, fruit and yogurt or quiche. Looks like each meal started with fruit and yogurt. Orders taken front to back and waffles were gone very quickly. Drinks were refilled the entire flight and cookies offered just before landing.

Biscuits were offered with butter and jelly, I was in the last row so not sure if another bread was offered as well.

Quiche on IAD-SEA

Tray setup with fruit and yogurt on IAD-SEA

1kBill Jan 4, 2016 6:43 pm

1/4/16
PHL-SFO
UA 653
6AM departure
B737-800

Choice of cereal or quiche, accompanied by fruit and yogurt. I think a waffle was also on offer, but it disappeared after chosen by both 1A & 1B (I was in row 2.) Orders were taken front to back. Biscuits and cinnamon rolls were offered; I had to ask for butter and jelly.

I had the quiche, which was served with potatoes, sausage and grilled asparagus. Everything was overcooked, with the quiche dry but edible and the sausage and asparagus had an unpleasant charred taste; I tasted a small piece of sausage and one asparagus and passed on the rest.

Cookie offered just before landing.

Good crew with frequent beverage refills and minimal announcements given the very early AM departure.

jasonp622 Jan 4, 2016 7:03 pm

1-3
IAD-SFO on 777
PBD order taken but not delivered
Hot towel,.warm nuts
Salad with mozzarella balls and red, yellow peppers with pommegranette vinegrette, FA forgot butter for my roll.
Entree options only described as
Chicken
Salmon
Shanghai noodles.
I had the noodles, it was pretty bad. 3 wonton and noodles with a very sweet sauce, pretty bad service, had to repeatedly ask for wine refills during the very long dinner service
Sundae with hot fudge and only whip cream offered.
Cookie offered before landing

JVPhoto Jan 6, 2016 10:20 am

SFO-DEN 5:25am

Choice of egg scramble or oatmeal with fruit.

Scramble had some sausage, pepper, onions and like a broccoli gratin thing. Eggs were lackluster and consistency crap the rest of the stuff had some good flavor.

My Dad next to me got the oatmeal which looked a little dry, came with cranberries on it and then a larger plate of fruit and yogurt.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYDEWNoUsAEFk2D.jpg

realgeneric Jan 6, 2016 2:09 pm

Requalified for silver in 2016 after being demoted in 2015, was pleasantly surprised with a rare CPU on my first flight in 2016!

1/3, SFO-DEN 7:50pm departure

PDB, warm towel and nuts, dinner choices were "chili" or "chicken jambalaya" entrees. Chose the chili, which was actually pretty tasty. Warm chocolate chip cookie to finish.

http://s7.postimg.cc/4jlgp5vjf/IMG_6605.jpg

popoemt Jan 6, 2016 7:42 pm

UA1545

Business (SFO-YVR)
A320
1845-2115hrs (+\-)
No PDB (boooooo)
Listed as dinner flight, I'll update as we go: so far already running about 45 min behind.

I'll post pics as they come....

Warm nuts and Gin & Tonic

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...u.jpg~original

Choice of lentil chili or cold (salad) glass asian noodles and cold roast beef (I picked the salad)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...m.jpg~original

Asked for some red wine, was brought the bottle of 2013 Entwine merlot ($9.99 on google shopping)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...j.jpg~original

Salad was good, wine was good, not bad for a 2.5 hour flight (although a PDB would have been nice)

1kBill Jan 7, 2016 8:21 am

Originally Posted by popoemt (Post 25975193)
Asked for some red wine, was brought the bottle of 2013 Entwine merlot ($9.99 on google shopping)

Did you have to ask to be shown thew wine?

popoemt Jan 7, 2016 8:46 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 25977854)
Did you have to ask to be shown thew wine?

I did have to ask to see it, FA was cool about it.

rittenhousesq Jan 7, 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BlackBear05 (Post 25949373)
SFO-BOS 1Jan16
United First
UA444 B753

Dinner

Mango Sorbet

Shouldn't a transcon dinner flight get the sundae rather than the mango sorbet?

BlackBear05 Jan 8, 2016 9:52 am

BOS-ORD 7Jan16
United First
UA203 B739

Breakfast

PDB
Hot Towel

Choice of: Quiche or French Toast
Served w/ Fruit Salad, Biscuit or Cinnamon Roll

ORD-LAX 7Jan16
United First
UA531 B739

Lunch

PDB
Hot Towel
Nuts

Choice of: Hoisin Beef or Butternut Squash Ravioli
Salad w/ Grapefruit & Tangerines, Whole Grain Bread Roll

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

greenskin Jan 8, 2016 1:31 pm

DSM-DAN 7Jan16
United First
UA596 A320

Choice of muffin or no muffin.

uber1K_Flyer Jan 8, 2016 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jewels421 (Post 25952565)

And I have no idea where the best place to post this is but SPRITE ZERO IS BACK!!! I just happened to look at the beverage options in the January Hemispheres and it was listed again. I asked for it and got it.... only one flight, so we'll see how consistent it is, but I'm so happy to have a diet, caffeine-free soda option back. The Dasani lime was not cutting it with me.

This happened about a month ago (quietly) and I was excited as you.

goodeats21 Jan 8, 2016 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by jewels421 (Post 25952565)

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer (Post 25986273)
This happened about a month ago (quietly) and I was excited as you.

Nice! ^

Thanks for posting this as I would have never known otherwise.

And the Dasani lime thing is gross.

TWA Guy Jan 8, 2016 8:12 pm

Dinner on SEA-IAD

1 Attachment(s)
1/5/16
SEA-IAD
UA 260
1303 departure
B737-900ER

Choice of Thai chicken curry, beef short ribs or tri color ravioli.

PDBs served and orders taken front to back.

Meal was listed as lunch but dinner was obviously served.

Cookies served prior to landing.

fumje Jan 8, 2016 9:43 pm

Overnight flights - 'lightened' snacks?

My wife flew redeye LAX - ORD a few days ago and got only a bag of crackers. I thought I remembered cheese and grapes or something like that as the 'refreshments' on these (~4hr) flights—i.e. not quite a meal but still relatively substantial. Is crackers the new normal or do I misremember?

MatthewLAX Jan 8, 2016 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 25988189)
My wife flew redeye LAX - ORD a few days ago and got only a bag of crackers. I thought I remembered cheese and grapes or something like that as the 'refreshments' on these (~4hr) flights—i.e. not quite a meal but still relatively substantial. Is crackers the new normal or do I misremember?

That used to be the case, but as part of the meal enhancements last year UA had to make up for the additions somewhere and the mid-con redeyes suffered by losing their snack. (AA and DL also don't serve snacks on similar routes).

asphaltman Jan 9, 2016 8:20 am

Does anyone know what the "quiche" thing is they have been serving recently? It's horrible. I'm not talking about the pie shaped quiche made with eggs, but rather the round thing that's filled with a cooked spinach? or something.. Some flight attendants call it quiche, so it's hard to know what your getting. Anyone else hate it?

transportprof Jan 9, 2016 9:47 am

Mrs. Transportprof had the spinach pie/quiche ex-HNL earlier this month and enjoyed every bite. Cleaned her plate! Perhaps the preparation varies from flight kitchens, or there is quite a range of tastes for airline food!

popoemt Jan 9, 2016 10:55 am

1 Attachment(s)
YVR-SFO
UA 595
1400-1600hrs

Snack flight-

Cold snack plate of Chicken, some sort of salad (maybe coleslaw?), a chunk of white cheese, crackers, and a Lindt chocolate.

Was not too bad for a cold plate, the cheese was bleh. Overall was nice to have something (especially since I had not eaten yet).

fumje Jan 9, 2016 10:56 am

Originally Posted by asphaltman (Post 25989667)
Does anyone know what the "quiche" thing is they have been serving recently? It's horrible. I'm not talking about the pie shaped quiche made with eggs, but rather the round thing that's filled with a cooked spinach? or something.. Some flight attendants call it quiche, so it's hard to know what your getting. Anyone else hate it?

This thing?
http://imgur.com/fce9pql.jpg
http://imgur.com/wFKAsth.jpg
I think it was introduced to me as 'a spinach soufflé' (other option: 'French toast soufflé' ...) last month, although 'pie' as transportprof has branded it seems more accurate.

I didn't mind it at all. It has a bit less egg flavour and a lot less salt than the quiche wedge, but I might choose the round over the wedge.

Ancillary note: I think I smelled/spotted new coffee (i.e. not the brown water pictured above) last week HNL - SFO. I did not sample, however.

cerealmarketer Jan 9, 2016 11:03 am

Originally Posted by popoemt (Post 25990310)
YVR-SFO
UA 595
1400-1600hrs

Snack flight-

Cold snack plate of Chicken, some sort of salad (maybe coleslaw?), a chunk of white cheese, crackers, and a Lindt chocolate.

Was not too bad for a cold plate, the cheese was bleh. Overall was nice to have something (especially since I had not eaten yet).

Cool - that looks more like something you'd get on a European carrier on short haul. Nice presentation.

asphaltman Jan 9, 2016 9:49 pm

Yes, that's the one. I've never heard it called spinach soufflé, but that does describe it better than quiche IMHO. It was funny when I first tried it, I was sitting next to a United Pilot, and both of us hated it. Maybe it was the kitchen it came from, I might have to give it another try. I just wished I knew if they were serving that or the egg pie shaped quiche. Seems like the last month and a half of flying, breakfast has only been the quiche or French toast soufflé.

fumje Jan 10, 2016 1:08 am

Originally Posted by asphaltman (Post 25992643)
Yes, that's the one. I've never heard it called spinach soufflé, but that does describe it better than quiche IMHO. It was funny when I first tried it, I was sitting next to a United Pilot, and both of us hated it. Maybe it was the kitchen it came from, I might have to give it another try. I just wished I knew if they were serving that or the egg pie shaped quiche. Seems like the last month and a half of flying, breakfast has only been the quiche or French toast soufflé.

By 'the quiche' I guess you mean the real actual quiche? UA should just give the entrees codes so we know what we're talking about. 'X3C for breakfast this morning, please.' :p

Late-December flight was the wedge for me too, so maybe the round is out of rotation for now. But it may come back, as I think I had the actual quiche in October or November before that.

transportprof Jan 10, 2016 7:59 am

UA 5601, YVR-SFO, a late morning flight aboard an E-175, which promised "breakfast" in the flight amenities.

Served a scone and a plate of fruit. A bit light for breakfast, more like a mid-morning snack.

transportprof Jan 10, 2016 8:03 am

UA727, SFO-IAD - a lunch flight on a sCO 757.

Choices were salmon with peppercorn sauce, a chicken dish, and paneer. When my seatmate asked what paneer was, the FA replied "tofu" :rolleyes:

Salmon dish was pretty good.

No dessert served after the main course - no ice cream, gelato, or sorbet. Was it mis-catering or did the crew forget?

Four hours later, warm cookie served before landing.

rch4u Jan 10, 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 25994010)
No dessert served after the main course - no ice cream, gelato, or sorbet. Was it mis-catering or did the crew forget?

You were on the flight and would know the answer - did you ask?

EnvoyBoy Jan 10, 2016 8:59 am

Originally Posted by asphaltman (Post 25989667)

I had the round spinach thing out of SFO and it was the best breakfast thing I'd had in a long time. Quite liked it!

JVPhoto Jan 10, 2016 9:20 am

MTJ-SFO 5pm CRJ700
Block 2:18 actual 1:53

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYU4Js-U...jpg&name=large

transportprof Jan 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 25994169)
You were on the flight and would know the answer - did you ask?

I kept thinking that the dessert would come out in a while, as they thawed the ice cream, etc. Then I fell asleep (those sCO 757s are quite comfortable in BF). Then when I woke up, they were serving the cookies and I didn't think to ask about the ice cream.

cesco.g Jan 10, 2016 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 25996659)
Then I fell asleep (those sCO 757s are quite comfortable in BF). Then when I woke up, they were serving the cookies and I didn't think to ask about the ice cream.

Was that a lunch flight?

transportprof Jan 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 25996907)
Was that a lunch flight?

Yes. UA727 is a lunch flight.

krentzie Jan 11, 2016 7:40 am

1/11 #1904 EWR-PHX (Up in air as I type)

Choice of Roasted Red Pepper Quiche or Cinnamon French Toast Casserole with warm Vanilla Sauce.

Got the French Toast Casserole. Easily the BEST breakfast I have ever had on a plane. I would order it at a restaurant over and over. Hope it becomes a predominant option going forward for Breakfast choices.

CMK10 Jan 11, 2016 10:25 am

UA 1060 RDU-SFO 06:26-09:37 737-800

https://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Tex...IMG_3712-L.jpg

Full PDB ^

https://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Tex...IMG_3726-L.jpg

Appetizer plate, a nice touch as this was separate from the rest of the meal.

https://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Tex...IMG_3731-L.jpg

Choices were waffles, cereal or this quiche. By the time they'd taken 1K and GS orders and gotten to me in 3A all that was left were quiches. It actually wasn't terrible (though I always add hot sauce to such things).

One note: I do wish they'd have a snack basket later in the flight. We were in the air close to five and a half hours. Something to nibble on later would have been appreciated.