FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735606-2016-lets-eat-domestic-canada-latin-america-first-business-p-s-businessfirst.html)

EnvoyBoy Jan 13, 2016 3:28 pm

SFO-ORD
FC
Breakfast

The breakfast options were lovingly presented by our FA as "eggs or oatmeal?" The look on her face told me I dare not ask for any clarification on the eggs.

I said "Eggs, please," to which she responded, "Drink?"

Oh those friendly skies on the 737-800!

Eggs were a rather nasty "pile" that resembled light snow. I thought I could blow on them and they'd fly off the plate. They sat on a bed of roasted onions and peppers with sausage slices. Bowl of fruit. Croissant or cinnamon roll. No yogurt.

Boo_Radley Jan 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy (Post 26013912)
SFO-ORD
FC
Breakfast

The breakfast options were lovingly presented by our FA as "eggs or oatmeal?" The look on her face told me I dare not ask for any clarification on the eggs.

I said "Eggs, please," to which she responded, "Drink?"

Oh those friendly skies on the 737-800!

Eggs were a rather nasty "pile" that resembled light snow. I thought I could blow on them and they'd fly off the plate. They sat on a bed of roasted onions and peppers with sausage slices. Bowl of fruit. Croissant or cinnamon roll. No yogurt.

What happened to three options on these midcons? My last few flights had been two options, and I chalked it up to a miscater... not so sure anymore.

Edit: Per https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx, one of the midcon options has been "enhanced" away; we're back down to two.

EnvoyBoy Jan 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley (Post 26014318)
What happened to three options on these midcons? My last few flights had been two options, and I chalked it up to a miscater... not so sure anymore.

And what happened to the yogurt??

Looks like we're back to making cutbacks to the premium product.

zoegksf Jan 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley (Post 26014318)

Edit: Per https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx, one of the midcon options has been "enhanced" away; we're back down to two.

Wow, that didn't last long. Pathetic

UAPremierGuy Jan 13, 2016 5:11 pm

I think the lack of yogurt may have been a mis-cater, as I had it yesterday DEN-LAX. That said, I didn't eat it -- "Uptown Farms" is hardly a premium brand.

CruiserCLE Jan 13, 2016 6:59 pm

TPA-ORD this week, 11am departure: Salmon salad or Chicken bowl with rice and beans. Had the salmon salad. I was skeptical but the salmon was decent with flavor and the salad actually had a nice assortment of premium greens (and no iceberg!!). My only gripe was the insane amount of onions on the salad, but otherwise it was great.

Oddly though, we were served a bowl of fruit instead of soup. Did something change with one of the waves of enhancements where there is no longer soup with a lunch salad?

IAD-TPA yesterday, 10pm departure: drinks and snack basket. I've said it before but I wish they would cater the snack plate again for these 2:20 flights that are later in the evening. The way the Dulles late bank is timed, I am often leaving my destination (CLE, CMH, CLT, BOS) at ~7pm (coming right from work), getting on leg 1, a short connection in IAD (and if I get stuck landing in A - no time to stop in the club), and then right onto the IAD-TPA leg, with a gourmet dinner of popcorn and almonds from the basket...

CaliC Jan 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy (Post 26010362)

Meal choices were the Jambalaya, Lentil Chili, or a pasta dish.

So, a rice dish, a bean (legume, whatever) dish, and a pasta dish.

Were they trying to put everyone to sleep with that load of carbs?

Sheesh!

physioprof Jan 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy (Post 26014439)
I think the lack of yogurt may have been a mis-cater, as I had it yesterday DEN-LAX. That said, I didn't eat it -- "Uptown Farms" is hardly a premium brand.

The "yogurt" that UA is serving on all its domestic flights has me infuriated. It is disgusting high-fructose corn syrup swill.

BlackBear05 Jan 14, 2016 8:11 am

ORD-BOS
13JAN16 600Departure
A319
Breakfast

PDB

Choice of: Scrambled eggs over asparagus and sausage, served with a small cup of fruit. or Fruit Plate with Yogurt

Cinnamon roll or Croissant

No Hot Towel, but purser brought some decorations from home to make the lavatory look better.

EWR764 Jan 14, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by zoegksf (Post 26014426)
Wow, that didn't last long. Pathetic

The catering windows are larger now than they were when the new meal service guidelines came out, and the snack tray is back in many markets. Overall I am not terribly upset by this, but if the pendulum swings way back, watch out... meal service is always an easy target for cost cutting.

Boo_Radley Jan 14, 2016 11:41 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 26017966)
The catering windows are larger now than they were when the new meal service guidelines came out, and the snack tray is back in many markets. Overall I am not terribly upset by this, but if the pendulum swings way back, watch out... meal service is always an easy target for cost cutting.

Incorrect. When the initial change was made, any mainline over 800 miles was a meal between 5 AM and 8 PM, without exception. See below.

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 24207486)
To give you a better idea of what to expect on different mainline United flights after these changes, here is a quick summary of the new North America premium cabin dining program with additional details available on united.com beginning January 23:
  • Less than 199 miles: Beverage service with premium biscotti on morning flights or premium snack mix on afternoon/evening flights.
  • 200 to 799 miles: Light breakfast refreshments (such as scones, muffins, or pound cake) on morning flights or a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit on flights departing after 10:00am.
    • Note that flights from Chicago O’Hare to/from Hartford, New York LaGuardia, Newark, and from Newark to/from Atlanta will receive full meals when scheduled during traditional meal times.
  • 800 to 1,499 miles: Full meal service including 2 entrée choices on most flights departing between 5:00am and 8:00pm. Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of a choice between a hot entrée served with a side salad or a protein salad with hot soup. On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.
  • 1,500 to 2,299 miles: Full meal service on flights departing between 5:00am and 9:00pm, including 3 entrée choices, with sorbet dessert and mint leaf on lunch flights, and gelato or ice cream with choice of toppings for dessert on dinner flights. On flights departing after 9:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.
  • Longer than 2,300 miles: Transcontinental and Hawaii flights will offer a full multi-course meal service with 3 entrée choices on flights departing before 9:00pm, a mid-flight snack selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit on longer-haul Hawaii flights, and a pre-arrival refreshment or snack on all flights.
  • p.s. Premium Service (New York JFK to/from Los Angeles and San Francisco): International quality multi-course meals with 3 entrée choices topped off by our signature ice cream sundae on lunch or dinner flights, with a pre-arrival refreshment service of bake-on-board cookies for afternoon or evening arrivals, and breakfast breads on morning arrivals.

CMK10 Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

I guess the either the pre-arrival refreshment is gone or my RDU-SFO flight reviewed upthread was miscatered.

Plane-is-home Jan 15, 2016 11:06 am

They cut down YYC-DEN to snack breakfast too. Was full breakfast all last year.
And that snack BF is bad. Wilted or un ripe fruit and an overbaked muffin. :td:
What is wrong with their management announcing all this big improvements and back paddling from it in no time?

Plane-is-home Jan 15, 2016 11:13 am

Originally Posted by popoemt (Post 25990310)
YVR-SFO
UA 595
1400-1600hrs

Snack flight-

Cold snack plate of Chicken, some sort of salad (maybe coleslaw?), a chunk of white cheese, crackers, and a Lindt chocolate.

Was not too bad for a cold plate, the cheese was bleh. Overall was nice to have something (especially since I had not eaten yet).

This was served as lunch on the E175 last Sunday :td:

EWR764 Jan 15, 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley (Post 26018452)
Incorrect. When the initial change was made, any mainline over 800 miles was a meal between 5 AM and 8 PM, without exception. See below.

(emphasis mine)

Maybe next time you can try "BZZZZZZZZZZT"! ;)

This is the exception I am referring to, from your post:

800 to 1,499 miles: Full meal service including 2 entrée choices on most flights departing between 5:00am and 8:00pm. Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of a choice between a hot entrée served with a side salad or a protein salad with hot soup. On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.
That reads like an exception to me! In any event, that loophole, which impacted a lot of afternoon midcon flights, like IAH-SEN or ORD-SLC, meant snack basket only.

Now, all flights 2:30 and longer get a full meal during those hours, and 2:20 to 2:30 get the resurrected cold plate from 3:00 to 3:59pm, and snack basket from 1:30 to 2:59pm. There were also some positive changes to Hawaii redeye catering. This apparently came at the expense of the third entree choice on midcon dinner flights. Additionally, the full service in the 8:00 hour was pulled back to a snack service on longer hauls.

It's like a moving target... frustrating!