Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by hoopics
IAD-SFO UA340 3 cabin 777 seated in F cabin. Dinner flight.

For the main course we were offered either a chicken tamale, pumpkin ravioli, or a short rib in hoisin sauce.
What's with the empty wine glass on a dinner flight, hoopics? LOL. The chicken tamale is actually pretty good for the next time you have the option.

I see UA still has not managed to locate table linens which cover the GF tray table... @:-)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
What's with the empty wine glass on a dinner flight, hoopics? LOL. The chicken tamale is actually pretty good for the next time you have the option.
IME they bring you a tray with an empty wineglass regardless of what you happen to be drinking. Unless you're trying to stock up, the glass stays empty.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by findark
IME they bring you a tray with an empty wineglass regardless of what you happen to be drinking. Unless you're trying to stock up, the glass stays empty.
My mistake! Too many snack basket flights lately!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak
My EWR - CUN flight was typically pleasant UA breakfast with omelette and cinammon roll. BUT my CUN - EWR was disgusting. Hard, dry, overcooked chicken breast, stale roll. Passable salad. Thank goodness for the standard UA fresh cookie later.

Who makes this garbage? I assume this was catered in Mexico?
I'm reasonably confident that the flight is double catered, which means that the inbound flight is stocked with the return catering, hence, why the return is a bit less than ideal!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by conquistador74
I'm reasonably confident that the flight is double catered, which means that the inbound flight is stocked with the return catering, hence, why the return is a bit less than ideal!
In this case, I believe that the flight is actually not double-catered, hence the very poor food.

Why? Salad dressing bottles, different entree choices, different salads than ex-Hubs.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
While the empty bowl on a tray is for return catering, the glass on the tray is supposed to be filled with water for breakfast flights, and for lunch/dinner the FA's would do a pass of wine. I don't know what changed the standard sequence was trays brought out to 2 rows of pax, bread basket, then an offer of wine. It still says this in the manual, but in the past year I've yet to encounter a single instance where 1) the bread wasn't just placed onto the tray, or 2) FA's were in the aisles offering wine.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
While the empty bowl on a tray is for return catering, the glass on the tray is supposed to be filled with water for breakfast flights, and for lunch/dinner the FA's would do a pass of wine. I don't know what changed the standard sequence was trays brought out to 2 rows of pax, bread basket, then an offer of wine. It still says this in the manual, but in the past year I've yet to encounter a single instance where 1) the bread wasn't just placed onto the tray, or 2) FA's were in the aisles offering wine.
I've gotten all variants of this from everything including salad+main plated on the tray at once to the full service with the bread basket and wine coming around after the tray. But the silly thing is really that I'm already enjoying a glass of wine with my nuts, and the tray comes with an empty wineglass anyway. Unless I'm asking for the other glass to get filled too (sometimes I will if I'm going to switch wines anyway), they just refill my existing glass and the tray one stays empty (more common).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 1228: EWR to SFO
October 21, 2016
Boeing 757-200 (sUA p.s.), Snack

As an avid consumer of food, I'm a huge fan of the "snack" course being a 24-hour affair on p.s. flights. The snack basket is really little better than Y, and a real disappointment when offered.

Name:  calzone.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  100.0 KB

This p.s. flight left at 11pm and offered a sausage calzone with chocolate truffle, which were very good. Only downside is that I ate it with fork and knife, and trying to cut anything with a dull knife on a tray table is always a tenuous affair. As a "red-eye" flight, the pre-arrival dish was a cranberry muffin instead of cookie. Top-notch service throughout the flight, including waiting to serve the muffin until the lights came on for final into SFO, which was a nice gesture as most of the cabin was asleep.

My only regret is that I was again thwarted in my vanilla ice cream search. Escaping Manhattan proved impossible, so I missed my original 7pm flight, and was able to rebook out on the last flight. In turn, I really appreciated the flatbed as I used it to sleep for a while before a 5am (Eastern) arrival into SFO. I still don't sleep that well on planes, but a lot easier than in domestic F.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:08 pm

I had the same snack yesterday on UA786 EWR-LAX, sans truffle. The sauce was in a small ramekin instead of a tin. I was also pleasantly surprised by the warm muffin 10 minutes before landing.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
UA1980 MCO-EWR 22Oct

Dinner flight had a chicken tandoori option it was excellent both in tenderness and flavor. The chicken was more tender than most deliveries I get from Indian restaurants in Tribeca. Kudos to UA!

Adam
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rmannion
I had the same snack yesterday on UA786 EWR-LAX, sans truffle. The sauce was in a small ramekin instead of a tin. I was also pleasantly surprised by the warm muffin 10 minutes before landing.
I have a p.s. redeye ex-LAX next month and am hoping for a hamburger. That calazone looks bad. If I was smart I would just eat at home and go to right sleep, but I actaully like the hamburgers on pretzel buns...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I have a p.s. redeye ex-LAX next month and am hoping for a hamburger. That calazone looks bad. If I was smart I would just eat at home and go to right sleep, but I actaully like the hamburgers on pretzel buns...
I actually thought it was quite decent.. similar quality to the hamburger although obviously a very different product. It's from my worse phone camera, so that's not helping its case - I'm sure UA_Flyer could do it better justice
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The calzone isn't bad at all. I indulged myself on EWR-HNL and GUM-HNL. Not even close to the horror that was the "chicken bouquet" so don't confuse the two.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Not to go too far OT but since you'll be arriving into EWR: http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/05/ta.../slideshow/19/
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 1228: EWR to SFO
October 21, 2016
Boeing 757-200 (sUA p.s.), Snack

As an avid consumer of food, I'm a huge fan of the "snack" course being a 24-hour affair on p.s. flights. The snack basket is really little better than Y, and a real disappointment when offered.

Attachment 20541

This p.s. flight left at 11pm and offered a sausage calzone with chocolate truffle, which were very good. Only downside is that I ate it with fork and knife, and trying to cut anything with a dull knife on a tray table is always a tenuous affair. As a "red-eye" flight, the pre-arrival dish was a cranberry muffin instead of cookie. Top-notch service throughout the flight, including waiting to serve the muffin until the lights came on for final into SFO, which was a nice gesture as most of the cabin was asleep.

My only regret is that I was again thwarted in my vanilla ice cream search. Escaping Manhattan proved impossible, so I missed my original 7pm flight, and was able to rebook out on the last flight. In turn, I really appreciated the flatbed as I used it to sleep for a while before a 5am (Eastern) arrival into SFO. I still don't sleep that well on planes, but a lot easier than in domestic F.
You're flying too far: they are doing vanilla on ORD-SFO/vv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.