Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Welcome aboard, tstauk!

Scroll down from "Reply to Tread" to "Additional Options" in a new reply. You'll see "Manage Attachments". If you try to edit a reply, the layout doesn't present "Additional Options", so look for "Go Advanced" at bottom to expand.

Thanks for the welcome and the tip! Got the photo added of that dinner on the ERJ-175.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by diburning
Do they make you put it in your zip top freedom bag at TSA?
I have never removed it from my laptop bag at a TSA checkpoint and they've never noticed or cared. Oddly, security at CPH two weeks ago flagged my bag because of it but once they saw what it was they let me go and keep it.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
SFO-EWR
11/3/16
UA 1214

Appetizer/Salad - both were good.
Chicken was okay. Cauliflower and leek mash was a healthier choice than mashed potatoes, but I didn't care for it.
Vanilla Bean Gelato was delicious - for someone who has dairy issues (therefore no ice cream), I finally got to have a sundae.
Service was excellent.
Attached Images     
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
SFO-EWR
11/3/16
UA 1214
Did you see the steak served to anyone else? If so, how did it look?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Did you see the steak served to anyone else? If so, how did it look?
My seatmate had it, and it looked pretty good. The chimichurri sauce might not be for everyone, but given another shot at this menu, I would try the steak.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Vanilla Bean Gelato was delicious - for someone who has dairy issues (therefore no ice cream), I finally got to have a sundae.
Just curious: what makes gelato different from ice cream so you can consume it? Both are dairy-based.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Just curious: what makes gelato different from ice cream so you can consume it? Both are dairy-based.
Seems to be the lower percentage of cream, possibly fat & air content. I'm sure someone could give a better medical explanation. I just know that I've had regular ice cream and gelato, and only the former seems to give me issues.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to be the lower percentage of cream, possibly fat & air content. I'm sure someone could give a better medical explanation. I just know that I've had regular ice cream and gelato, and only the former seems to give me issues.
Gelato generally has a lower fat content, as you said. Typically cited numbers are around 5pc fat for gelato and 13pc for ice cream.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
DCA - DEN
Depart: 4:11 pm
Arrive: 6:15 pm
Coded as dinner

Choice of chicken with macaroni and cheese or beef stew.

Chose the chicken - it was pretty good. It's served in a big bowl with slices of chicken on top of the mac and cheese. It had a surprising amount of breadcrumbs, which was unexpected but gave the dish some texture. There was a side salad of spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini - I opted to add the salad (without dressing) to the mac and cheese bowl -- I thought the bowl was greatly improved by adding vegetables

Warm chocolate chip cookie was served (on a plate!) afterwards

All in all, a pretty decent meal, far above what United used to serve!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
DEN->DAY
CR7
Dinner

Choice of "some kind of wrap" or the Asian salad with Beef.

I really didn't get the point of the small plate of veg. I tasted one of the carrots, and it was sort of pickled / spicy. Just weird with the diced onion and jalapeno. Can't imagine it is supposed to be condiments for the wrap...and there is already a salad, so a couple leafs of lettuce is out of place. No idea the thought behind this one...
There seems to be zero thought into most UA meals.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
The roast beef baguette in coach is a mighty fine sandwich. The breakfast and Italian baguettes I've had were also great. I actually look forward to the coach BoB sandwiches more than the domestic F meals. Not that I'll give up my F seat when I can get it...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
While I had been very quick to criticize the meal offerings over the past couple of years, mostly post merger where there was notable decline in quality and variety, I would actually say that including things such as avocado/pickled carrots/salsa fresca is considerable effort at actually putting thought into what is being served. They could have easily put a tub of terrible salsa (which they had been doing) and left it at that.

Maybe I'm in the minority in this line of thinking, but compared to where things were before its a significant improvement.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Maybe I'm in the minority in this line of thinking, but compared to where things were before its a significant improvement.
^ You're not alone in your assessment of general improvements in meal quality and service standards over the past year, at least in my experience on my most frequent route with a meal: BOS->ORD. FAs haven't been missing the PDB, meals are generally very good, and frequent re-fills are offered during the flight. UA's premium domestic cabin service is getting better, not worse.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
SFOSTL
DEP 1755

All of the SFOSTL flights I have been flown recently have been on a mix of 319/320/E-175 so was surprised to see a 738, and a full 738 at that.

PDB appeared to be offered, I boarded later, but despite boarding going on for 20+ mins after I sat down no offer of PDB or coat hangup. Based on this and the announcement from the FA describing himself and other FA's as "safety professionals", I didn't have high expectations at this point.

After takeoff, meal orders taken front to back; choices described as salmon with cous cous or braised beef. After both myself and my seatmate told the FA that we wanted the beef, he said "and your second choice is salmon." I know what he meant but the delivery was rather stern and would have been communicated better had he said "choices are salmon or beef; which would be your first choice?"

Saw the trays being brought out with the first round of beverages so was expecting the famous "onePass" service; but as noted in the picture, they brought out the salad/roll/nuts out on the tray with the beverage, and then later brought out the entrée. I actually liked that to be honest as it actually seemed to be more in line with how the conduct service on the international flights.

The FA's were really good about refills, so despite the initial observation and the one-offs, it was a pretty good flight. Oh and the red wine on offer (I think it was a Malbec), dare I say was actually good

Salad/Nuts/Roll First Course

Entree

Last edited by qukslvr619; Nov 7, 2016 at 10:02 am
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
SFOSTL
DEP 1755
Interesting... looks like a 1/2 tray? Definitely smaller than the usual setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.