Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
does UA really put much thought into these meals?
This question ought to be pretty easy to answer by reading this thread somewhat regularly over the past 2-3 years @:-)

Does anyone have any recent reports for non-ps transcons, specifically out of IAD? I checked back on the last few pages but haven't seen anything and I have one coming up soon...
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Does anyone have any recent reports for non-ps transcons, specifically out of IAD? I checked back on the last few pages but haven't seen anything and I have one coming up soon...
Got you covered No reports on November menu yet.

October east
September west, snack
September west
September east
August east
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Here is mine from IAD->LAX in late October...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27411805-post754.html
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by findark
Got you covered No reports on November menu yet.

October east
September west, snack
September west
September east
August east
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Here is mine from IAD->LAX in late October...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27411805-post754.html
Thanks to you both for the links.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
ORD->EWR
Breakfast

Omelette with some type of soft cheese filling.
Other choice was oatmeal.

Cinnamon roll or croissant offered later in the service.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Flying BF SFO-EWR next week at 11:15 pm and it's label as "snack" - is this still a burger? Do they still serve the cookie before landing at 7:30 am?

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Flying BF SFO-EWR next week at 11:15 pm and it's label as "snack" - is this still a burger? Do they still serve the cookie before landing at 7:30 am?

Thanks!
"Snack" is a hot meal service; most recently it has been a calzone on p.s. The cookie is replaced with a cranberry muffin.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
DEN-PIT
A320 Lunch

Different nut service than usual. They seemed to have a dusting of seasoning on them. Usual suspects plus hazelnuts.

Billed as a hot beef sandwich with arugula and blue cheese. Beef was very fatty/chewy, I didn't see any blue cheese and it was loaded with cooked onions. Fat-free lemon salad dressing was nasty.

Cold (I mean cold) cookie for dessert.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
EWR->ORD 3PM
First on 3-cabin 767

Warm nuts served with choice of beverage (except Glenfarclas, which once again apparently wasn't boarded ).

Choice of hamburger or a Salad with chicken.

Burger was decent, but not great. Cookie served at the same time as the meal. Service was meh.
Ooh, is that smoked Gouda for the burger? Yum.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-EWR 12:45am departure

This same roast beef sandwich with bleu cheese was served. Very tasty on my flight.

Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
ORD->EWR
Breakfast

Omelette with some type of soft cheese filling.
Other choice was oatmeal.

Cinnamon roll or croissant offered later in the service.
Exact same breakfast (with oatmeal as the alternative ) with cinnamon roll flying SFO-LIH on Monday. Snack basket before landing. Overall just fine.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Free Agent
ANC-DEN Redeye Food

I searched but couldn't find...what is the FC "snack" on the ANC-DEN redeye?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Cheeseburger or calzone with a garnish and chocolate truffle after take-off, then a warm scone or muffin prior to landing.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 1286: EWR to SFO
November 11, 2016
Boeing 757-200 (sUA p.s.), Dinner

The p.s. offerings are certainly aiming to be higher style than normal domestic food, although with the improvements across the board (that don't seem to have made it to int'l yet), I'm not sure there was all that much difference.

Name:  menu.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  167.5 KB

p.s. of course comes with a menu. This is a big plus, if only because it doesn't mean trying to hear the FA's confused descriptions of the meals over the roar of the engines and across a seatmate. This lineup seemed pretty standard.

Name:  salad.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  140.3 KB

The little appetizer on pumpernickel toast was simply amazing. It was a nice combination of flavors, and more the sort of amuse-bouche I would expect at a fine restaurant than on a domestic flight. Very impressive! The salad also was quite good; I thought the apples provided a nice measure of variety from the usual ones, although I've been generally impressed with United's domestic salad offerings this year.

Name:  main.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  152.0 KB

Unfortunately, the meal went downhill from the appetizer. I opted for the chicken since I wasn't feeling like trusting United to cook my steak properly (and "mixed beans, grilled broccolini" sounded like a singularly uninspired accompaniment), but the chicken was also somewhat disappointing. The meat itself was rather dry, and the tomato sauce was a very small portion when considering it had to make up for not only the dry chicken, but also the carrots, parsnips, and lentils, all of which seemed to suck up moisture and leave my mouth uncomfortably dry. I've had many better renditions of chicken on United, so I was rather disappointed in this as a "premium" offering.

At least the bread service was a choice of all the breads, so from row 1 I got guaranteed pretzel roll

Name:  dessert.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  110.1 KB

Given it's described as a gelato, I can only assume "Vanilla Bean Gelato" is different than the vanilla ice cream that comes with the normal meal service. This was also rather disappointing. I'm not sure I can find the right adjectives, but it just seemed to have a rather dry and cardboard-like consistency compared to ice cream. Like the chicken, it was okay, but... meh. Still on the prowl for the vanilla I had last year on BOS-SFO.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
..... I opted for the chicken since I wasn't feeling like trusting United to cook my steak properly (and "mixed beans, grilled broccolini" sounded like a singularly uninspired accompaniment), but the chicken was also somewhat disappointing. ....
Had the flat iron steak last week, not a fan of the beans, but the steak and broccilini were quite decent. The beef seemed more slow cooked vs grilled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.