Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
On the other hand my last flight's lunch choice was salad with chicken or salad with salmon
That's better than the double bird entrees I sometimes run into. Salad with chicken or sandwich with chicken. Colonel Sanders would be proud of those menus!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
UA14 HNL-EWR
767-322ER
Dinner
12/10/16

Flight was about an hour delayed so no PDB's were served and amenity kits weren't handed out on this flight (they were handed out on the outbound to HNL-last of the cowshed kits I figured) We got warm nuts along with our first drinks after we were up and away flying thru a bit of chop out of HNL.
The Purser took orders seeming based on status first (per the rules) then it seemed a bit random after that. Choices were Short Rib, Curry Chicken or Ravioli (not sure what kind) We both went for the Short Rib (pictured below)

The beef was really good for an airline-it was indeed sweet as folks have mentioned upthread, but when combined with the polenta which seemed almost horseradish-y (in a good way to my palate anyhow) it was delicious!
Dessert was the ice cream trolley-options were warm chocolate sauce and whipped cream. No cherries/caramel/sprinkles or extras to speak of-I wondered if the lack thereof was a "domestic" thing. If so that's a bit sad as the Polaris bedding was provided and was much softer than the previous blanket/pillow:

Breakfast consisting of oatmeal w raisins, fruit plate and a warm croissant was served about 50 minutes out of EWR and the service was a bit rushed-we were descending thru 10K by the time my tray was taken-so there was no real time for a last call to the lavs.

Couldn't find a snack basket in my travels to the lav-is that offered/supposed to be offered on redeye flights??
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FBWFTW
The beef was really good for an airline-it was indeed sweet as folks have mentioned upthread, but when combined with the polenta which seemed almost horseradish-y (in a good way to my palate anyhow) it was delicious!
I have had this dish before and it is indeed quite good. I think the "polenta" was actually listed as "wasabi grits." In any case, the horseradish flavor element offset the sweetness of the beef quite nicely.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I'm flying tomorrow from OGG to SFO at 345pm. I'm in First and it says we get lunch. Shouldn't that be dinner? My flights after, to ORD is red eye and to DTW is too short.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I'm flying tomorrow from OGG to SFO at 345pm. I'm in First and it says we get lunch. Shouldn't that be dinner? My flights after, to ORD is red eye and to DTW is too short.
I would recommend eating a midday meal before boarding, but the catering guidelines say that departures before 4pm are "lunch". The food is almost identical, and the crew will probably ask if you would like some dinner
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm flying tomorrow from OGG to SFO at 345pm. I'm in First and it says we get lunch. Shouldn't that be dinner? ...
Believe 4 PM is the switch point. Differences aren't huge on those flights.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks, guys. On the way here I had a meal on each flight, Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tomorrow is one afternoon flight, a red eye and a hop. But I'm thinking that I'll be re-routed due to the Winter Advisory. Either way, it is good to know I'll get something. And that 4pm cut off is a bit silly. By the time we're in the air and served, it'll be 5pm. Those guidelines! Ugh!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
UA1968 PHL-DEN
737-900
Lunch (at 4:30pm)
12/15/2016

Was offered PDB. Nuts were also served, but I declined them so I didn't know if they were warmed or not.

Entree choices were southwestern salad with a side of chicken or a hot roast beef sandwich. I chose the latter.

My entree came with a salad with sesame ginger vinaigrette, a plate of grapes, as well as a pretzel roll.

It was all okay. The sandwich was particularly messy, so I had to employ a knife and fork to eat it. I'm not a big fan of pretzel rolls (but I do like a good, salty pretzel).

We had lots of turbulence, and the FAs had to sit quite a bit, so I'm not sure if that was the reason we didn't get dessert. They did do one final drink run about an hour out of DEN.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It'll be a dinner-type array of choices (ie not just salad with chicken or shrimp on top or something like that)
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
UA 385
EWR-IAH
Dinner 12/15
767-300

For the PDB I tried the Moscow mule for the first time. Not bad, but didn't feel right drinking on a 20 degree day. Feels more like a great choice on a hot summer day. Warm, actually almost too hot to the touch nuts were served about 20 minutes in. Dinner was choice of chicken, sausage and shrimp paella or some panko crusted chicken dish with a Japanese name no one ever heard of. The purser even joked, about the chicken vs. chicken choices. I went with the paella which was quite bland and definetly not one of my my favorite dishes of recent memory. Served with a Japanese type cole slaw served with a peanut dressing. Warm pretzel roll was the highlight.

My only suggestion is to wait a while before serving the warm cookie. It seems like it's always served immediately following dinner with a good 1 1/2 hours remaining on the flight. If they would wait about 40 minutes, it would go down perfectly with the coffee and baileys that I always order to end my evening flight. First world, I mean, first class problems, I know.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Joe K.
UA 385
EWR-IAH
Dinner 12/15
767-300

... some panko crusted chicken dish with a Japanese name no one ever heard of.
Chicken Katsu. Basically a breaded and fired chicken cutlet, I guess the Katsy part comes from the curry sauce served with it. It's not bad as long as the sauce is served on the side as I dislike curry.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
EWR-SNA lunchtime flight this week, had some dishes that were new to me and my wife that were quite tasty. She had the chicken katsu with white rice and broccolini. I had the beef short rib with zucchini and "dirty" rice with spices and some kind of meat. Both were outstanding. And the appetizer was new to us, as well: kale and cucumber salad with sesame noodles. This was also delicious.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Chicken Katsu. Basically a breaded and fired chicken cutlet, I guess the Katsy part comes from the curry sauce served with it. It's not bad as long as the sauce is served on the side as I dislike curry.
Katsu's usually served here in the Islands w/ a red dipping sauce on the side. UA's curry on top is new to me. I like the curry, just wished it was served on side (and a little more of it).
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
12/19/16
DEN-ORD Lunch
B739

Almonds, soy nuts and a few cashews

Fiesta Chicken
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 2006: EWR to SFO
December 17, 2016
Boeing 757-200 (sUA p.s.), Dinner

The p.s. product is really quite nice. The addition of the appetizer spices up the meal, and you can't say no to guaranteed flatbeds. I'm not really convinced it's worth a Z or higher price point, but it is nice..

Name:  20161217_211745.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  107.6 KB

As usual, the menu saves the trouble of remembering (or hearing) what the dishes are. Tonight was a pretty standard lineup with beef, chicken, and pasta.

Name:  20161217_224606.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  153.4 KB

The appetizer is probably my favorite part of the p.s. meal service. It's a nice small bite that's reminiscent of finer dining. Here it's a rather creamier gruyere served with prosciutto and a slice of cantaloupe. It presented a rather odd flavor combination, but I actually thought they went quite well together. The mix of a cured meat and gruyere is as old as the hills, and the fruit was a nice contrast.

The salad seemed to have feta cheese in place of "red seedless grapes and parmesan". It was decent, but I found that the little bits didn't stay on the leaves, and so more than usual I was left with a pile of beans, raisins, and cheese at the end. The salad probably could have done without the garbanzo beans; the cauliflower was already a bland texture source so it didn't really need the beans.

Also +1 to "impossible to open metal caps". I pried at it with my knife for the better part of five minutes before I got it open

Name:  20161217_231547.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  149.2 KB

This is probably the biggest portion of beef I've ever seen on United. Other than that, it was a pretty standard UA short rib main, and the polenta was good. The marmalade kale was all right, but I can't escape the fact that kale is overrated in its current fad form..

Row 1, always a good choice to snag a pretzel roll from the bread basket

Dessert was the sundae as billed, including the full toppings cart with strawberry sauce, cherries, et al ^

I slept through the cookie, but I imagine it was as normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.