Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by goodeats21
No, we cannot agree.

I have not had the Katsu on a domestic flight, but when it is offered as pre-arrival on International flights in J, it is my absolute favorite.

For those that have had both, is there a significant difference between the domestic and Intl versions?
+1, I have not had it domestically either, but katsu and congee are consistently good on INTL flights, much more consistent and better tasting than the main meals after take-off.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by hirohito888
+1, I have not had it domestically either, but katsu and congee are consistently good on INTL flights, much more consistent and better tasting than the main meals after take-off.
I have had it on domestic flights and it is just a good as on international ones. A great choice!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
No, we cannot agree.

I have not had the Katsu on a domestic flight, but when it is offered as pre-arrival on International flights in J, it is my absolute favorite.

For those that have had both, is there a significant difference between the domestic and Intl versions?

And a warm "Welcome to FlyerTalk" to jwindmoeller
Originally Posted by findark
I have not been a fan of it domestically. Have not had it on int'l.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I have had it on domestic flights and it is just a good as on international ones. A great choice!
If anything I've enjoyed it more on domestic flights! Or at least on the Hawai'i flights, for which it's been crispier and larger than on the int'l flights. My mouth just started watering.

That said, the photographed specimen is pretty puny-looking, and I think I'd be disappointed by it.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I thought most of the hot entrees were loaded into the ovens regardless of AC, but I could be wrong. I could see the tray of nuts were in there....on that note I think years of flying UA has led me to a dislike cashews in general. Split or not, they always seem overcooked and chewy.

The sad part is I don't think she was purposely being lazy...just kinda ditzy.
Depends on the aircraft/route... I don't think that all the courses that would need to be warmed would fit all at once on long-haul flights.

However, the A319/A320s only get three full-size carts in the F galley, so the FAs don't have a lot of storage space.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by findark
I have not been a fan of it domestically. Have not had it on int'l.
I've also had it domestically and really liked it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think congee would be a cool add to the p.s. breakfast menus, at least for a month, to see whether it is favorably received. It 'sells out' on TPAC flights every time, almost without exception.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:01 am

A bit of a silly question but it is something that I have noticed more than once and it does not seem from my sampling that other airlines seem to do (at least the samplings of airline that I fly).

On PMUA Aircraft like the A319/320 the galley carts (at least in First where I was sitting) have a label printed on them CA777 or LW777. Does anyone here know what that label signifies.

It is odd that it would be strictly for 777 Aircraft because as I understand things galley carts are for the most part interchangeable.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kmersh
A bit of a silly question but it is something that I have noticed more than once and it does not seem from my sampling that other airlines seem to do (at least the samplings of airline that I fly).

On PMUA Aircraft like the A319/320 the galley carts (at least in First where I was sitting) have a label printed on them CA777 or LW777. Does anyone here know what that label signifies.

It is odd that it would be strictly for 777 Aircraft because as I understand things galley carts are for the most part interchangeable.
The label refers to dimensions of the cart. While width is standard, I believe the difference between the 727/777 designations (not aircraft-specific) is the length of the cart. I recall even seeing '707' carts in the past.

'CA' are catering carts (bar/meal), 'LW' are trash carts.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by kmersh

This FT thread should have your answer: Galley Carts - Are They Unique to a Specific Plane Type?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
The label refers to dimensions of the cart. While width is standard, I believe the difference between the 727/777 designations (not aircraft-specific) is the length of the cart. I recall even seeing '707' carts in the past.

'CA' are catering carts (bar/meal), 'LW' are trash carts.
Much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
STLSFO
Breakfast
A319

Based on flight length, was expecting standard mid-con breakfast but FA explained it as cereal. [Removed by moderator per rules on language.] FA said it was due to 9/11 cutbacks...umm 15 years later ok.

Reality is flight was double-catered out of SFO from the night before. While I was slightly disappointed, in reality it actually was a decent "light" breakfast and it just meant I could load up at Boudin's when I landed.

SFOSTL
Dinner
A319

FA serving F was relatively pleasant although she seemed to be having an off day. In that I mean she did all the announcements for the A320 (which I'm surprised no other crew members corrected her) and it seemed that she was having an issue locating where stuff was loaded in the galley.

Choices were shrimp and grits or beef with vegetables. Had the beef and it was pretty good...not fatty like the previous hoisin version UA had for years and the root vegetables were decent. Dessert came and went...in that nothing was offered so when I got up to use the lav asked the FA and she said she couldn't find them. She finally made a call back to the FA in Y and sure enough catering had loaded them in the back galley....crisis averted.
The catering out of STL is due to UAs stinginess and relatively few/practically non-existent meal-catered flights ex-STL. There is a Gate Gourmet facility that serves AA (and AS flights). Didn't realize UA had an early morning SFO flight from STL I thought it was just an evening turn. It seems UA has added a few mainline flights to STL which long had zero to minimal mainline flying primarily to stage and cycle GoJet and Trans States equipment through for maintenance. Guess this is just consistent with the broader upgauguing underway at UA and across the industry.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The catering out of STL is due to UAs stinginess and relatively few/practically non-existent meal-catered flights ex-STL. There is a Gate Gourmet facility that serves AA (and AS flights). Didn't realize UA had an early morning SFO flight from STL I thought it was just an evening turn. It seems UA has added a few mainline flights to STL which long had zero to minimal mainline flying primarily to stage and cycle GoJet and Trans States equipment through for maintenance. Guess this is just consistent with the broader upgauguing underway at UA and across the industry.
Stinginess or not, it would seem a lot of it really has to do with the the mix of flying...one day a route is ERJs, the next its a mix of ERJs/175/etc. I'd imagine its easier to just roundtrip cater these flts out of the hubs.

That being said, the schedule really is all over the place and yes I realize it has a lot to do with AX and G7. EWR has mostly been EV but they throw the oddball YX 175 there but it only appears to operate EWRSTL and turn somewhere else. Though I noticed in OCT, EWR goes to 4-145, 1-73G... whereby EWRSTL 1900 overnights to a 0700 STLEWR. I don't think EWR's been on a 73anything since the 731s and 732s were retired and the influx of 145s came.

I'm glad to see mainline back, the 2nd SFO was being flown by OO and at one point during the summer either it was operating a #3 trip or #2 was sked as redeye....getting off topic I guess but the more non 50-seater equip that's sent to STL, the better.

The current SFO sked:
SFOSTL 1110 1707, turns to STLSFO 1805 2018
SFOSTL 1743 2344, Overnights STLSFO 635 855
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Choice: Chicken Arugula Sandwich (below) or South Pacific Salad with Shrimp
same options on UA 1564 BOS-ORD today. I went with the Pacific Salad. when it showed up with a bit of lettuce, some grilled-and-chilled pineapple, and three very orange shrimp, i looked at it funny. then, i was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I ate every bite. The shrimp and pineapple brought enough flavor that i needed very little of the pineapple vinaigrette dressing. I'd definitely get it again.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k
SFO-DEN on 9/27. Choices were buffalo mac and cheese with grilled chicken or beef provencal. I think this beef dish has been served under a few different names recently. It was good but maybe a bit small on the portion size. The flight was strange: only about 60 passengers on the 320 but with a 4th F/A staffed. Amazingly 2 F/As were slower than the usual single F/A up front.

9/28 DEN-SFO was seafood paella or chicken katsu. The chicken was good but didn't have enough sauce. The service was great until about 1 hour left in the air and then the lights went off in the galley and there was no service including cleaning up the last of the glasses etc until 10 min from landing. Not a huge deal but it would be nice if they would continue to pass through the cabin on this flight until final approach.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by SFO28L
The flight was strange: only about 60 passengers on the 320 but with a 4th F/A staffed. Amazingly 2 F/As were slower than the usual single F/A up front.
Number of FAs is a FAA requirement based on number of seats on the plane, regardless of the number of passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.