Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Damn - how do you decide between the skillet and soufflé?!
Easy for me - I don't like eating eggs for breakfast, so it's either cereal or souffle (or congee, on INTL routes)
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Easy for me - I don't like eating eggs for breakfast, so it's either cereal or souffle (or congee, on INTL routes)
But souffle is made from eggs?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
But souffle is made from eggs?
I think poster means "eggs" eggs (ie scrambled, over easy, poached, hard-boiled, etc). Eggs in cookie batter doesn't make the final product "eggs" - or French toast battered in eggs. When I eat the soufflé, I hardly think I'm eating eggs.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think poster means "eggs" eggs (ie scrambled, over easy, poached, hard-boiled, etc). Eggs in cookie batter doesn't make the final product "eggs" - or French toast battered in eggs. When I eat the soufflé, I hardly think I'm eating eggs.
Have you ever made a soufflé?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
August 21, 2016
UA1912
ORD-BOS
Boeing 757-300
Dinner

Open Bar PDB
Warm nuts

Entree choices were:

Chicken Katsu Curry

OR

Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Paella

Side of Asian slaw salad, and a pretzel roll with butter

There was no dessert served

Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Have you ever made a soufflé?
Give me a break, it's obvious what not liking eggs for breakfast means.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by diburning
August 21, 2016
UA1912
ORD-BOS
Boeing 757-300
Dinner

Open Bar PDB
Warm nuts

Entree choices were:

Chicken Katsu Curry

OR

Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Paella

Side of Asian slaw salad, and a pretzel roll with butter

There was no dessert served

Those beans in the salad I think are what they dry out and put in the nuts.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Those are Edamame, which are immature soybeans. I wouldn't be surprised if they had soy nuts in the nuts, but the teacupful they served me didn't have any in it.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: CO Silver
MEX-IAH
5 Sept 2016
EMB-175

This was my first meal flight on the 175. I was impressed.

Open bar PDB

Cold nut mix

Pre-meal beverages

Hot towel

Choice of chicken salad or chicken wrap. They were only offering the wrap by the time they made it to row 4. It was a buffalo wrap with sauce, chicken, and that's about it. Served with a side salad with citrus garnish, a plate of grapes, and a packaged cookie. I assume this flight was double-catered from IAH based on the quality of the ingredients.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 2046: SFO to DCA
September 5, 2016
Boeing 737-800, Lunch

This month's eastbound selections were new to me. There was an obvious theme here - mushrooms, mushrooms, mushrooms.

Name:  95_salad.png
Views: 950
Size:  963.0 KB

The salad was mixed greens with mozzarella cheese and bell peppers, along with several button mushrooms concealed under the greens. Served with a balsamic vinaigrette. I really don't care for the cheap button mushrooms (the kind found on cheap pizza, and generally what you picture when you think "mushroom"). I tried to choke down a couple here, but I abandoned the effort and returned the last one uneaten. It's partly my palate, but I also just think there's a serious quality issue with those mushrooms. Others will likely disagree.

Name:  95_main.png
Views: 998
Size:  966.9 KB

My experience took a sharp turn for the better with this main. I really couldn't hear much from the FA over the engine noise this time, but I piece together a piece of chicken with a bold, tomato-based sauce, broccolini, a puck-shaped polenta cake, and - you guessed it - more mushrooms. These mushrooms were a huge improvement over the generic salad ones. I'm no mushroom expert, but there looked to be a variety of smaller mushrooms, which paired well with the chicken. To top it off, the chicken was extremely juicy! The only disappointment was the broccolini, which was somewhat dry and rubbery.

Other options were salmon with mixed vegetables and rice (which looked decent on my seatmate's plate), and some presumably vegetarian dish plated in a bowl. All I heard from the purser was "it's called a, ah, {mumble mumble}" so I wonder if it was the paneer (as that seems to confuse a lot of crew).

Name:  95_dessert.png
Views: 917
Size:  836.2 KB

Strawberry sorbet for dessert was a refreshing break from the malaise of all-lemon I've had recently. Still on the lookout for vanilla ice cream on my next dinner flight.. @:-)

Pre-arrival was, of course, the cookie. I've taken to having with another thing I've discovered on the "secret menu": milk ^
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: 1K
BOS to ORD 9/5 UA 439

Delayed just under two hours for awaiting inbound aircraft which was delayed due to maintenance. Landed only 1 hour and 19 mins late.

Any choice of PDB and then I saw the flight attendant shove two large bags in one of the carts. After take off he came by to me and pointed at a piece of paper that he just wrote out "Turkey Sandwich, Chicken Sandwich, and I believe a salad choice". I chose chicken sandwich (which I've attached a picture of). Not sure what happened or if they had catering issues, however they purchased sandwiches from the quick shop across from gate B21. I ended up having the same sandwich as a friend of mine who was in coach and purchased prior to boarding. Had another drink with the sandwich and then the flight attendant disappeared the rest of the flight. Anyone ever experience catering from an airport shop/restaurant like this before?
Attached Images  
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
Delayed just under two hours for awaiting inbound aircraft which was delayed due to maintenance. Landed only 1 hour and 19 mins late.

Any choice of PDB and then I saw the flight attendant shove two large bags in one of the carts. After take off he came by to me and pointed at a piece of paper that he just wrote out "Turkey Sandwich, Chicken Sandwich, and I believe a salad choice". I chose chicken sandwich (which I've attached a picture of). Not sure what happened or if they had catering issues, however they purchased sandwiches from the quick shop across from gate B21. I ended up having the same sandwich as a friend of mine who was in coach and purchased prior to boarding. Had another drink with the sandwich and then the flight attendant disappeared the rest of the flight. Anyone ever experience catering from an airport shop/restaurant like this before?
Wow

Although if there was a catering snafu and the alternative was no food, that's a really slick recovery.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Wow

Although if there was a catering snafu and the alternative was no food, that's a really slick recovery.
Talk about empowering your people to do the right thing!

My only concern would be that the Captain - or another crew member - paid for those out of pocket. I'd have to ask, because there's no way I could let a crew member pay for my meal; I'm just not that important.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
UA 2046: SFO to DCA
September 5, 2016
Boeing 737-800, Lunch

They must be clearing out a backlog in the freezers....this appears to be one of the PS meals that they used to serve prior to the latest refresh. The sauce they pour on top always appeared to have the consistency of vomit and had hoped this chicken hotmess had disappeared...guess not.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by SkiPremier

I had the same exact situation happen back in February flying BOS-ORD in F. Everyone in F was a bit perplexed...we figured the flight had just got miss-catered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.