Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1k
I am aware of this. The purser repeatedly mentioned they were overstaffed for the flight. Doesn't the A320 usually have 3 cabin crew (1 per 50 passengers)? There were 4 working on this flight.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Number of FAs is a FAA requirement based on number of seats on the plane, regardless of the number of passengers.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SFO28L
I am aware of this. The purser repeatedly mentioned they were overstaffed for the flight. Doesn't the A320 usually have 3 cabin crew (1 per 50 passengers)? There were 4 working on this flight.
New FAs in training? 3 staffed plus 1 instructor? This might explain the slowness.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SFO28L
Originally Posted by PTahCha
New FAs in training? 3 staffed plus 1 instructor? This might explain the slowness.
Could also be part of the new contract that more FAs needed on a flight. Just speculating though...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1k
I couldn't tell if the service was choppy and slow because they weren't used to working with a second body in the galley on the Airbus or if it was specific to these F/As. It really wasn't that bad and the improvements in the food in the last couple years really stands out.

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Could also be part of the new contract that more FAs needed on a flight. Just speculating though...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA1666
IAH-EWR

Airbus A320 (with new F seats)
Meal: Breakfast

My first time sitting in the new F seats, not bad I guess. But the tray table is very heavy and folds very awkwardly around 2/3 of the way.

Choice of Oatmeal or Omelette.

Oatmeal
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
UA5470 (operated by United Express)
SFO-YYC
8:32 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.
Breakfast
ERJ-175

My dad's breakfast in Business (First). It was a ham sandwich. He said it pretty good. To me it looked like all bread from the photo.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA1666
IAH-EWR

Airbus A320 (with new F seats)
Meal: Breakfast

My first time sitting in the new F seats, not bad I guess. But the tray table is very heavy and folds very awkwardly around 2/3 of the way.

Choice of Oatmeal or Omelette.
That is a tiny amount of oatmeal, especially if it's supposed to be the "entree" in the meal
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Looks like they tried to make up for it with about a quarter pound of grapes
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CApreppie
UA5470 (operated by United Express)
SFO-YYC
8:32 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.
Breakfast
ERJ-175

My dad's breakfast in Business (First). It was a ham sandwich. He said it pretty good. To me it looked like all bread from the photo.
Lol I was wondering if the meal was just a piece of bread.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Lol I was wondering if the meal was just a piece of bread.
It's that ham sandwich that has a sugary fruit Jam spread. Terrible.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
UA5576 (operated by United Express)
YYC-SFO
6:52 p.m. - 8:55 p.m.
Dinner
ERJ-175

My dad got upgraded and he said it was a coldish chicken sandwich. Nuts served before the meal. He said sandwich was only okay.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
What is up with UA's obsession with red grapes? Like...is there no other fruit available right now? Also, Express needs to upgrade their dessert game...this is an area where American Eagle is clearly much better.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
UA 5614 (United Express)
LAX-DFW
EMB 175
9:45am-3:07 pm

Scheduled as a breakfast flight, but with. 9:45 departure, I wasn't interested in a meal until the FA offered a turkey sandwich. This is it. Officially the worst airline food ever. Looked identical to the ham sandwich up thread a few posts, except it had turkey. You know it's bad when the fruit bowl is the best thing on the tray.

Last edited by mezzowithcorigis; Oct 8, 2016 at 12:39 pm
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
LAX->ORD
757-300
Lunch

Crappy service...worst in a long time. No service for over an hour after takeoff. Choice of Chicken Katsu or mushroom ravioli. Katsu was fine, but pretty skimpy portion. Rice was hardened. Lemon sorbet was rock hard...and not very tasty once I chiseled off a sliver.

Avoiding many long stories, the female FA (whatever the other term for purser is) serving FC was horrible. Example: When I asked for Glenfarclas after takeoff, she claimed there was none on board. I then saw her serve it to others after meal service. When I asked her about it, she tried to surreptitiously serve me a Dewars...I think to avoid going to the back to find more Glenfarclas. The whole flight was comically sad.

And the other FA never emerged from the galley. In fact, he puled out a metal box from the shelf and pretty much sat in the back corner, hiding from view for the flight...including in between setting up trays of food. Miraculously, he seemed to have plenty of energy when the flight was over.

Crappy all around.
Attached Images  

Last edited by goodeats21; Oct 9, 2016 at 12:46 pm Reason: Not worth stirring things up.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 727: SFO to IAD
October 9, 2016
Boeing 777-200ER (sUA 3-class), Lunch (F cabin)

October's eastbound menu is the same as July's westbound, so same food (and even seat) as last time.

Bread is pretzel roll and sorbet was lemon. The beef was again extremely tender and the meal was overall quite good. The noodle salad is pretty filling, but I think this works to my advantage going eastbound since it's hard to eat two meals after noon on a 1pm departure. I got a second roll and called it lunch and dinner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.