Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat belt sign is out of control at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:31 am

The loud PA announcements are the worst part

If they want to keep it on (or regularly turn it on), fine. What frosts me is that the simple "ding" of it going on is apparently longer sufficient; on the 787 service LAX-MEL-LAX they have a lengthy, loud automated message each time it flips on, to the extent of "the Captain has turned on the fastened seatbelts sign, blah blah blah." This is in the middle of the night when 99% of the passengers are already in their seats, BECAUSE THEY'RE TRYING TO SLEEP.

At least on most domestic red-eyes on older metal, the pilots tend to be courteous enough to give you a quick, fairly quiet "seatbelts" over the PA.

The automated everything is yet another flyer friendly change I don't care for. At all.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hoopics
...What frosts me is that the simple "ding" of it going on is apparently longer sufficient; on the 787 service LAX-MEL-LAX they have a lengthy, loud automated message each time it flips on, to the extent of "the Captain has turned on the fastened seatbelts sign, blah blah blah." This is in the middle of the night when 99% of the passengers are already in their seats, BECAUSE THEY'RE TRYING TO SLEEP....
Better to be woken up and prompted to buckle up versus doing a face plant on the ceiling, no?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Lol no kidding - Lufthansa keeps it off unless plane is upside down lol - i just don't get UA procedures lately - it's insane!
Lufthansa is the best. Last flight on the A380, they were backing the plane up while people were still in the aisles. I find they often turn the seatbelt sign off when even in a rather steep climb. I love it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Better to be woken up and prompted to buckle up versus doing a face plant on the ceiling, no?
if you're the kind of passenger that doesn't stay buckled when seated, maybe you need a face plant to drive the point home. Those of us who stay buckled up outside of the blanket would like to sleep.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by halls120
if you're the kind of passenger that doesn't stay buckled when seated, maybe you need a face plant to drive the point home. Those of us who stay buckled up outside of the blanket would like to sleep.
It seems unrealistic to expect a safety-related announcement to be purposefully delivered unnoticeably.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
If they want to keep it on (or regularly turn it on), fine. What frosts me is that the simple "ding" of it going on is apparently longer sufficient; on the 787 service LAX-MEL-LAX they have a lengthy, loud automated message each time it flips on, to the extent of "the Captain has turned on the fastened seatbelts sign, blah blah blah." This is in the middle of the night when 99% of the passengers are already in their seats, BECAUSE THEY'RE TRYING TO SLEEP.

At least on most domestic red-eyes on older metal, the pilots tend to be courteous enough to give you a quick, fairly quiet "seatbelts" over the PA.

The automated everything is yet another flyer friendly change I don't care for. At all.

Agree the Seat Belt sign is mostly over-used on United...and I HATE that stupid auto announcement. On TPACs I am sleeping and have the belt visible on the outside. I don't need the jarring, lengthy blather every time.

Flyer Un-Friendly.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I always stay buckled when sleeping. And I've generally only heard middle-of-the-night announcements in serious turbulence, regardless of airline.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
On TPACs I am sleeping and have the belt visible on the outside. I don't need the jarring, lengthy blather every time.

Flyer Un-Friendly.
Pick an sUA route. It's the CO aircraft that have the automated talking warning.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by physioprof
It seems unrealistic to expect a safety-related announcement to be purposefully delivered unnoticeably.
As someone else mentioned, on red eyes or flights where you expect to sleep, you have your seatbelt on already. A simple "seatbelts" is sufficient. Not a loud speaker blasting for 30 seconds when someone is trying to sit.

"Seatbelt" is the classic sUA 757 notice on red eyes. Worked perfectly well.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:09 am

No. Because they tell me at boarding that I should buckle up over my blanket if I wish to sleep. And I listen. And then I go to sleep. The message presumes I didn't listen the first time.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
This has been a pet peeve of mine on UA for a long time. Also, find UA cockpit crews dominate the forward restroom far more than crews from other airlines.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe its on more on international flights. I fly UA almost every week domestic USA and it is rare that it does not turn off when hit cruising altitude, stay off unless real turbulence, then turn on during the decent. And every once in a while it comes on when the pilots need to come out and use that bathroom.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
No. Because they tell me at boarding that I should buckle up over my blanket if I wish to sleep. And I listen. And then I go to sleep. The message presumes I didn't listen the first time.
I'm sure that everyone on the plane is as fastidious about this as we are. Come on...many times when there's a a serious episode of turbulence some passengers end up injured. There are more important things to get cranky about.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I'm sure that everyone on the plane is as fastidious about this as we are. Come on...many times when there's a a serious episode of turbulence some passengers end up injured. There are more important things to get cranky about.
I have a similar attitude here to people who refuse to wear a motorcycle helmet...has something to do with Darwin.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
+1. I actually prefer a short message about "we're expecting turbulence" or similar. I see so many people who seem to blatantly ignore seat belt lights, I have to think a little extra prodding is worth it to avoid an injured passenger. And yes, I know it's their own fault, but that's little consolation when you have to divert for an injury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.