Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat belt sign is out of control at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:52 pm

I've never heard the FAs say anything unless someone tries to get up before the plane reaches cruising altitude. Unless turbulence is bad enough to keep the FAs strapped in, I'm going to get up if I need to.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was on a plane in the last year talking with a FA about turbulence and he had been on a flight where a FA hit the ceiling and broke her neck. It happens. I get up and walk to use the toilet when the seat belt sign is on but I try to do it when it seems calm.

Having the seat belt sign on too long is dangerous because it leads to my behavior. I don't believe it when it's been calm for half and hour. There might be turbulence ahead, but I'm up anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Cockpit crews know they keep it on unnecessarily, which leads to people ignoring it. This is why when it is calm, but there is turbulence imminently ahead, they know they need to announce that "We're really serious this time."
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
This is a safety issue. If the sign is always on we learn to ignore it. Then, even when it is important it is ignored.

UA has had injuries in turbulence. I wonder if seat belt sign disrespect was a contributing factor.
EXCELLENT point!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by goodeats21
On TPACs I am sleeping and have the belt visible on the outside. I don't need the jarring, lengthy blather every time.

Flyer Un-Friendly.
Pick an sUA route. It's the CO aircraft that have the automated talking warning.
The LUAL PS planes have it also.

FAB

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:48 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I've never heard the FAs say anything unless someone tries to get up before the plane reaches cruising altitude. Unless turbulence is bad enough to keep the FAs strapped in, I'm going to get up if I need to.
This.

I ignore the seatbelt sign entirely.

If I don't have a reason to be up, I'm seated with my belt fastened.

If I do have a reason to be up, if the FA's are up, I'm up. If the FA's are buckled in, I'm not going anywhere.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I also agree.

I will certainly stay belted in when the FA's are dinged to sit down, landing/takeoff, and when the pilot announces the request and such.

But I sure am hell not going to pee into a cup because the sign has been on for hours.

I will avoid getting up to stretch my legs and such when the sign is on.

And I fail to see any reason my belt should not always be buckled when I am seated, and most certainly when sleeping.

The failure of the seat belt light to usefully convey information is not UA specific though.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
My experience (on AA) is that the seat belt sign normally goes off pretty quick after takeoff. But if it gets turned on mid flight it normally stays on for the rest of the flight.

After noticing this a few times I changed my behavior. At the slightest hint of turbulence I unbuckle and head to the restroom. The hope is to get in and start using the restroom before the seatbelt sign gets illuminated thereby letting me finish and return to my seat without breaking the rules. This prevents me being sat desperate for a pee for 4-6 hrs (which has happened in the past).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ChrL
My experience (on AA) is that the seat belt sign normally goes off pretty quick after takeoff. But if it gets turned on mid flight it normally stays on for the rest of the flight.

After noticing this a few times I changed my behavior. At the slightest hint of turbulence I unbuckle and head to the restroom. The hope is to get in and start using the restroom before the seatbelt sign gets illuminated thereby letting me finish and return to my seat without breaking the rules. This prevents me being sat desperate for a pee for 4-6 hrs (which has happened in the past).
Totally appreciate this behavior - I fly so many carriers each month that the UA behavior is obviously different - just don't understand why they are so aggressively conservative - thats honesty what I want to know - and no I don't accept it's because of prior incidents....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Lol no kidding - Lufthansa keeps it off unless plane is upside down lol - i just don't get UA procedures lately - it's insane!
No kidding! I flew off HKG when the deadly typhoon hit TW than was hitting the mainland. Pilot came on the PA , "We'll be hitting quite an bit of turbulence throughout this flight but it's not too bad." Worse turbulence of my life. Left the seatbelt sign off longer than it should be.

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Really? I fly Air China regularly and the seat belt sign is practically on the entire flight....it's worse than UA. The rest, definitely do better than UA.
That's an good thing! Everytime I fly CA out of IAH, they turn the seatbelt sign on and off too much. What drives me crazy is that FA's make their announcements making everyone wake up. They take 3x longer than any other airline in the announcement while reading the book. The one reading the book usually has horrible english even when their are some that can read properly.

[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
In my personal experience......I've seen the seatbelt sign on more on previous sCO metal than sUA metal, this includes express flights.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
You should come to China sometime. All flights have seatbelt signs on basically all the time.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: UA GS
The blaring auto-announcement is bad enough but then on trips to destinations where English is not the primary language you get to ensure the repeat of that announcement in as many as 2 additional different languages. On a flight to ZRH I got it in English, German and French.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Really? I fly Air China regularly and the seat belt sign is practically on the entire flight....it's worse than UA. The rest, definitely do better than UA.
This +1. I was on CA150 TPE-HGH a few days ago. The seatbelt sign went off at around 40 minutes into the flight, then 5 minutes later, due to turbulence, went back on and for the duration of the entire flight. The turbulence lasted about a minute or two and that was all the turbulence which occurred during the flight.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I like the Korean Air approach: use it sparingly, but when you do, actually enforce it. US carriers give us the worst of both worlds: leave it on constantly, but then let people get up anyway. That's a recipe for injuries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.