Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat belt sign is out of control at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by schnitzer
I've been on UA flights where the Crew tells the Captain to fake a seatbelt sign because of a disruptive passenger.

The Captain even fakes the turbulence. 😀

You can still get out of your seat to use the bathroom. Nobody is going to stop you.
After 90 minutes I was about to have renal failure so went to the bathroom - yes you are right no one stopped me.... Still don't get what I perceive as an amazingly aggressive / conservative seatbelt sign on position.... For those of you considering its just a single flight / captain thing I've found this behavior amazingly consistent on UA - and amazingly absent in other carriers....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:14 am

Yep - this is the way UA operates now. Almost every flight I take with them the seat belt sign is on over 50% of the time.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:34 am

Safety

This is a safety issue. If the sign is always on we learn to ignore it. Then, even when it is important it is ignored.

UA has had injuries in turbulence. I wonder if seat belt sign disrespect was a contributing factor.

BTW I do note seat belt sign use in the surveys.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Ok - I've been waiting a few months to post this to be fair but I can't take any more - I'm currently on UA 882 to ORD and after Well over an hour in flight in relatively calm conditions the damn seatbelt sign is still on and I've had enough. Flight attendants are up and serving drinks and food with no issues! Over the past two weeks I've been on 8 global airlines and NONE of them use the seatbelt sign like this - it's ridiculous! The captain said the seatbelt sign will remain on because there MIGHT be turbulence in the next 100 miles - 30 minutes ago. This
Is so common with UA it's a joke - in any other airline as soon as we clear 10k feet the sign is off - unless it's really bad - to me it seems UA uses the seatbelt sign as a crowd control measure - and I just don't get it - is it fear of liability? Easier for flight crews? I've been on over 50 UA flights in the past few months and the pattern is crystal clear - am I the only one that thinks UA is overly conservative in their approach?
Used to joke about this years ago coming out of Syd .SQ would have the seat belt sign off when you where over the harbor bridge . UA somewhere around Fiji.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Used to joke about this years ago coming out of Syd .SQ would have the seat belt sign off when you where over the harbor bridge . UA somewhere around Fiji.
Lol no kidding - Lufthansa keeps it off unless plane is upside down lol - i just don't get UA procedures lately - it's insane!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Really ridiculous. I flew Qantas from MEL to SYD the other day and they took it off right after we reached cruising altitude. Even other US domestic carriers do not use the seatbelt sign as much as UA. I think they do it so that they can begin FA service uninterrupted.

I'm sorry but sometimes sitting on the tarmac especially after boarding so early as UA finds the need to do, people are going to need to use the lav.

Also notice that FAs lock the lav until the seatbelt sign is turned off on initial climb more and more often
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: United, Marriott
This seems to be about every flight in the US, regardless of carrier. I've noticed they all keep the seat-belt sign on indefinitely, just as a ever-present reminder to "stay vigilant".

If you gotta go, you gotta go.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not much different on DL and AA. US carriers have figured out that it's far better to leave the sign on and not deal with lawsuits alleging that the failure to have the sign on meant that a pax wasn't warned when he jammed a finger during a bit of minor turbulence.

Non-US carriers don't worry about this stuff because these sorts of lawsuits don't fly (bad pun).

Of course you can head to the lav. But, you're doing so against advice and after warning. If it's your finger, it's going to be hard to collect the millions every American is entitled to.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Not much different on DL and AA. US carriers have figured out that it's far better to leave the sign on and not deal with lawsuits alleging that the failure to have the sign on meant that a pax wasn't warned when he jammed a finger during a bit of minor turbulence.

Non-US carriers don't worry about this stuff because these sorts of lawsuits don't fly (bad pun).

Of course you can head to the lav. But, you're doing so against advice and after warning. If it's your finger, it's going to be hard to collect the millions every American is entitled to.
Forgive my ignorance - when is the last time UA or any U.S. Carrier was hauled into court over a failure to provide access to a bathroom on board?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by schnitzer
You can still get out of your seat to use the bathroom. Nobody is going to stop you.
This. If I have to go, I'm getting up and going.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
In the last month I've been on Asiana, ANA, Air China, Lufthansa, SAS, Emirates, Etihad, BA, Finn air, Croatian airlines, Cathay pacific, Singapore airlines, and Korean airlines - all of them turn off the seatbelt sign as soon as possible and keep it off - at the slightest sign of any turbulence UA flips it on - I just don't get it.....
Really? I fly Air China regularly and the seat belt sign is practically on the entire flight....it's worse than UA. The rest, definitely do better than UA.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
This is a safety issue. If the sign is always on we learn to ignore it. Then, even when it is important it is ignored.
It's true. Like "The little boy who cried wolf".

Last edited by goalie; Aug 25, 2015 at 9:00 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Really? I fly Air China regularly and the seat belt sign is practically on the entire flight....it's worse than UA. The rest, definitely do better than UA.
I flew PEK to SIN this week and seatbelt sign was off within three seconds of hitting 10k feet - very typical for almost all my CA flights this year...
Of course within five seconds of landing half the plane was in the aisle getting their bags from overhead but this isn't a mainland China traveler discussion....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Often1
Not much different on DL and AA.
Not IME on DL --- Most captains usually turn it off once the flight levels off. I cannot recall a flight since I moved most of my flying to DL this last year where the sign was on all/most of the flight (without noticeable turbulence). However, on a recent IAH to ORD flight the sign was on the entire ride with not a bump.

There also, notably, was not a single word from the flight deck besides the FAs prepare for departure (no ground welcome, no airborne welcome, and no goodbye). Sometimes I wonder if the seat belt sign is a way for crews to express their feelings toward management (although you'd think the pilots would be fine now).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Last time I was on NZ, they turned the sign off almost as soon as the wheels left the ground. It couldn't have been more than 500'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.