Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat belt sign is out of control at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I take in a lot of fluids and well...they have to come out. I try to jump up and go right before the door closes.
In any event if I can't do that and we sit for another 10-30 min on the ground and then by the time we are in the air I get up once I see the FAs get up and make a beeline for the lav. I also know how to unlock the door from the outside.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I take in a lot of fluids and well...they have to come out. I try to jump up and go right before the door closes.
In any event if I can't do that and we sit for another 10-30 min on the ground and then by the time we are in the air I get up once I see the FAs get up and make a beeline for the lav. I also know how to unlock the door from the outside.
Lol so do I but haven't had to use that in a while.... Perhaps it's an international flight thing as that's 90 percent of my flights - but the difference between UA and other airlines is striking - any sign of turbulence and the seat belt sign goes on for an hour!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
The pilots could of forgot to turn it off and no one noticed.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:40 pm

This is a uniquely US carrier phenomenon, which is endemic on UA.

The standard MO on foreign carriers is to take the seatbelt sign off after 10,000ft, unless there is an advisory not to do so. ( 10 minutes, may 15 minutes max)

United and most US carriers will keep this on all the way to the climb, until cruising altitude (30-45 minutes), and way after that. This is probably UA company policy.

In cases of turbulence warning, UA will turn in on way before and leave in on for much longer than needed. I should mention other US carriers do the dame.

On UA, I ignore the seatbelt sign, and instead rely on the double ding.
Once the double ding goes off, the crew get off their seats and start heading to the galley.

That's when I do get off my seat, open the overhead bin or walk to the bathroom. If questioned I mention, that the crew is off their seats, so how bad could it be? Usually crew relents.

Its a fake warning that is not worth following. This after 20+ years of lots of travel. These days less and less on US carriers.

Seriously, if you want a more pleasant journey, don't fly a US carrier.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I am always struck by the lingering seat belt sign on US carriers, both domestic and internationally. AA seems as chronic as UA and it has certainly reached a stage of "boy cries wolf" psychological diminishment. I think there are a ton of reasons-laziness and forgetting, perceived help in clearing the aisles for the flight attendants, the rise of legal anxieties in large corporations modifying behavior in favor of caution, basic crowd control. I do believe that perhaps unconsciously the pilots also use the seat belt warnings as another layer of defense against a similar 9/11 plot.

Within the first year of flying post 9/11, I was on an AA flight from Texas to Florida. We were probably two thirds of the way to cruise altitude (MD80) when the pilot got on the PA and started quite speech to the passengers in a voice cracking with emotion...."I am an ex military pilot and in the military part of our training is to classify all other aircraft as suspicious until their identity can be proven. What was done to us on September 11 is seared on my brain and I will not allow a repeat of it to occur on my watch. Who knows where the next ones will come from? For the safety of your fellow passengers, I am leaving the seat belt sign on for the duration of the flight."

There were several religous digressions regarding opposing forces that I have left out of my recounting, but I believe it illustrates the idea of the seat belt sign somehow briefly dissuading someone intent upon suicidal chaos from starting his diabolical plot.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I flew last year from IAH to BOS and they kept the sign on for the first 2.5-3.0 hours of the flight, despite zero turbulence. Of course, we had been sitting on the aircraft longer than that. The pilot said it was due to the potential for dangerous wind sheer so I stayed seated.

As my friend who is a doctor said when I told her the story, biology dictates that the restroom will be required every few hours - especially if you are trying to stay hydrated while flying.

I am old-fashioned in that I tend to follow the instructions, because that's how I was taught when I started flying as a child. However, this truly pushed my limits and did not endear me to UA.

Last edited by luxtrvlwrks; Aug 25, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Better to be woken up and prompted to buckle up versus doing a face plant on the ceiling, no?
And you don't have your belt on while sleeping??
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And you don't have your belt on while sleeping??
See my post #47.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Ok - I've been waiting a few months to post this to be fair but I can't take any more - I'm currently on UA 882 to ORD and after Well over an hour in flight in relatively calm conditions the damn seatbelt sign is still on and I've had enough. Flight attendants are up and serving drinks and food with no issues! Over the past two weeks I've been on 8 global airlines and NONE of them use the seatbelt sign like this - it's ridiculous! The captain said the seatbelt sign will remain on because there MIGHT be turbulence in the next 100 miles - 30 minutes ago. This
Is so common with UA it's a joke - in any other airline as soon as we clear 10k feet the sign is off - unless it's really bad - to me it seems UA uses the seatbelt sign as a crowd control measure - and I just don't get it - is it fear of liability? Easier for flight crews? I've been on over 50 UA flights in the past few months and the pattern is crystal clear - am I the only one that thinks UA is overly conservative in their approach?
bmwe92fan - Thank you for posting this. I must add my 2 cents worth. I have been very annoyed by this too, and I think this is an important issue. I usually fly internationally. On a recent SFO-TPE flight I timed when the captain first turned the seatbelt sign off - 45 minutes! There was no turbulence. This does not occur with other airlines in my experience. It is ridiculous.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO

bmwe92fan - Thank you for posting this. I must add my 2 cents worth. I have been very annoyed by this too, and I think this is an important issue. I usually fly internationally. On a recent SFO-TPE flight I timed when the captain first turned the seatbelt sign off - 45 minutes! There was no turbulence. This does not occur with other airlines in my experience. It is ridiculous.
Agreed! ^ We have flown on quite a number of international carriers over the past couple of years as we burn our UA points, and after a million + miles of experience on UA it took awhile to stop being amazed with other carriers at how quickly the seatbelt signs are turned off after takeoff, and turned back on only a few minutes before landing.

It certainly relieves the pressure for us geezers - pun definitely intended.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Ok - I've been waiting a few months to post this to be fair but I can't take any more - I'm currently on UA 882 to ORD and after Well over an hour in flight in relatively calm conditions the damn seatbelt sign is still on and I've had enough. Flight attendants are up and serving drinks and food with no issues! Over the past two weeks I've been on 8 global airlines and NONE of them use the seatbelt sign like this - it's ridiculous! The captain said the seatbelt sign will remain on because there MIGHT be turbulence in the next 100 miles - 30 minutes ago. This
Is so common with UA it's a joke - in any other airline as soon as we clear 10k feet the sign is off - unless it's really bad - to me it seems UA uses the seatbelt sign as a crowd control measure - and I just don't get it - is it fear of liability? Easier for flight crews? I've been on over 50 UA flights in the past few months and the pattern is crystal clear - am I the only one that thinks UA is overly conservative in their approach?
Perhaps, the memories of United Airlines flight 811 and the deaths of nine of their business class customers due to being sucked out of the aircraft is the reason United Airlines prefers to keep their seat belt sign illuminated.

More info:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/26/us...to-terror.html

http://www.airdisaster.com/eyewitness/ua811.shtml

http://www.tailstrike.com/240289.htm

Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ceieoc
Perhaps, the memories of United Airlines flight 811 and the deaths of nine of their business class customers due to being sucked out of the aircraft is the reason United Airlines prefers to keep their seat belt sign illuminated.
A tragic story that I didn't recall but according to at least one of the links you included the seat belt sign was lit, but that didn't help the victims, as at least some of them were sucked out of the plane in their seats:

During the climb, the crew made preparations to detour around thunderstorms along the aircraft's track; anticipating turbulence, the captain kept the seat-belt sign lit. Around this time (02:08) the plane had been flying for approximately 16 minutes and was passing between 22,000 and 23,000 feet. In the business-class section, a grinding noise was heard, followed by a loud thud which rattled the whole aircraft—1½ seconds later the forward cargo-door blew out abruptly. The pressure differential caved in the floor above the door, causing two rows of seats (8G-12G and 8H-12H) and an individual in 9F to be ejected from the cabin, resulting in nine fatalities and leaving a gaping hole in the aircraft.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Fredd
A tragic story that I didn't recall but according to at least one of the links you included the seat belt sign was lit, but that didn't help the victims, as at least some of them were sucked out of the plane in their seats:
I note this was 1989, 26 years ago.

"During the climb, the crew made preparations to detour around thunderstorms along the aircraft's track; anticipating turbulence, the captain kept the seat-belt sign lit. Around this time (02:08) the plane had been flying for approximately 16 minutes and was passing between 22,000 and 23,000 feet. ..."

Last edited by restlessinRNO; Aug 25, 2015 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

More info:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/26/us...to-terror.html

http://www.airdisaster.com/eyewitness/ua811.shtml

http://www.tailstrike.com/240289.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNc69QAZYj0

According to the NY Times story, those passengers and their seats were sucked out together. If that is the case, then not sure this could possibly be relevant.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it a bit more, I guess they could be thinking that if people didn't have seat belts fastened, then even more people would have been sucked out?

Last edited by physioprof; Aug 25, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I remember the story well but honestly doubt that this is why UA is, at least IMO, significantly more stingy with the seatbelt sign than other carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.