Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat belt sign is out of control at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I once was flying on IAH-NRT where the captain left the seatbelt sign on for nearly the entire flight. We only had some turbulence at the beginning but it was smooth for the rest of the flight.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
..Some Captains have a higher or lower tolerance for "light chop" than others. They really are looking out for your safety...
&
Originally Posted by triplefives
It really depends on the captain...
While these may be trivial trueties they in no way explain why US carriers and recently even more so China carriers are so trigger happy with the sign.

There is a huge chasm in seatbelt sign use between the most timid Euro carrier captain the most audacious US one ... a phenomenon that cannot be explained away with personality and choices.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by weero
&

While these may be trivial trueties they in no way explain why US carriers and recently even more so China carriers are so trigger happy with the sign.

There is a huge chasm in seatbelt sign use between the most timid Euro carrier captain the most audacious US one ... a phenomenon that cannot be explained away with personality and choices.
And this is why I started this thread - I fly so many carriers globally every month and the difference between UA and others is so obvious and I still haven't seen a single rational explanation - not one! People being sucked out of planes 25 years ago or simply saying they are no different than other U.S. or Chinese carriers isn't an answer - someone tell me why it has to be this way??!!

I think we can all agree based on multiple responses in this thread there is a real difference - someone tell me why....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:15 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
We I believe that the sudden change in how Chinese large carriers handle the sign is mandated from above. It is too sudden and pervasive for a cultural change.

I also believe that AA used to be a worse offender when it comes to the perma-seat-belt-sign but grew more reasonable and mature over the years whereas UA maintained the "i am not responsible" attitude.

Quite an irksome idiosyncrasy that could be fixed with very little expense.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I was once on a flight from LAX to PHL on US, pre-9/11, where the flight was absolutely glass smooth, from take off to touch down, and they left the sign on the entire flight. The FA's even got annoyed.

Anyway, United Continental and American Airlines Group are about equally bad about the sign. I've noticed sCO pilots are a tiny bit worse about it, but not substantially. Anecdotally, my Channel 9 experience has led me to think that sUA pilots are much more active about asking about rides and ATC response directly correlates to how much they leave the sign off or on.

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Really? I fly Air China regularly and the seat belt sign is practically on the entire flight....it's worse than UA. The rest, definitely do better than UA.
I've noticed that Chinese carriers do the following:

1) Keep the sign on the whole flight.

2) Don't actually mean that you have to stay seated, but instead use it to tell people to be buckled up while seated.

3) Cycle the sign and make an announcement when they actually mean it about staying seated.

4) Expect people to just sort of figure it out when it is safe to get up again.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Scratching my head over this thread. Yesterday's DEN-PIT flight was typical in my view...seatbelt light went off at 10k and was turned back on once for maybe 10 minutes when we hit bumps near Chicago. If the light IS on in smooth air there's never been any issue getting up to use the facilities...just don't ask if it's OK.

Maybe some flight crews err on the side of caution and/or there may be liability issues. Have any US airlines been sued because there were turbulence-related injuries when the seatbelt sign was off?
10K?! I can't remember the last time, if ever, I had a US-based carrier turn the sign off at 10K. AC turns it off at 10K, as do plenty of other non-US carriers, but I've never, ever seen the sign off at 10K. The earliest I've seen it is at about 25-27K on the way to the low 30s.

Originally Posted by freshairborne
The LUAL PS planes have it also.

FAB
They got it after they got the CO-induced reconfiguration. Brutally annoying.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is one reason I am sad about the demise of channel 9...you could get an idea of when to expect the seatbelt sign to be turned off.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Seatbelt Sign Until Cruising Alt Vs 10,000 Ft

Flying on United, I've noticed that the pilots don't shut the seatbelt sign off until the aircraft reaches cruising altitude vs other airlines that shut them off around 10,000. What is the reasoning for this at United?

The annoying part about it is you have to hear the "seat belt sign is still on" speech when you get up to go the the bathroom. The FA's say they have to say it, and wink wink we all ignore it. Getting to cruising alt takes a while and I've had to say screw it and just go.

I've noticed this on all 8 segments so far this year.

Sorry guys, ignore. I posted in the wrong place and it got moved here.

Last edited by seat38a; Sep 25, 2016 at 1:00 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: UA
On a flight yesterday the FA gave the usual stern explanation of the seat belt policy after takeoff. After cruising altitude, the pilot announced he was turning off the seat belt light, and the light went off.

A few minutes later, the FA again repeated the instructions that the seat belt light was on, please stay seated. I thought I missed something, and looked up to observe that indeed the light was still off. I guess they are so accustomed to say that, it just comes out automatically. His colleagues didn't notice. And, in a testimony to the uselessness of the announcement, no passengers seemed to notice his error.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Earlier this year, I found myself on a very 'rough air' flight with a seat kitty-corner from the FA jump seats. The female first officer was very clear on 'everyone stay seated as we figure out if we're going to do a second landing attempt at our scheduled airport of divert' instructions from the cabin but as the delay went on, people started moving around in the cabin outside of FA shouting range. The FAs, seated as instructed, were getting really angry because they were sure passengers were blowing off cockpit instructions because of the first officer's female voice.
Not trying to excuse this behavior as I wasn't there to judge, but I don't know if that qualifies as DYKWIA. Frankly, United has a problem with pilots (male and female) who seem incapable of ever turning off the seatbelt sign. I have been on several 13+ hour United flights over the years, where the seatbelt sign NEVER ONCE turned off. As a result, I'm sure that during endless circling trying to decide a diversion... some people just plain had to go.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Not trying to excuse this behavior as I wasn't there to judge, but I don't know if that qualifies as DYKWIA. Frankly, United has a problem with pilots (male and female) who seem incapable of ever turning off the seatbelt sign. I have been on several 13+ hour United flights over the years, where the seatbelt sign NEVER ONCE turned off. As a result, I'm sure that during endless circling trying to decide a diversion... some people just plain had to go.
After over 40 years of flying, I've been on a few where it seemed the seat belt never went off but I find it's far Far FAR more common that passengers just decide for themselves that they can ignore the instructions and seat belt light, especially after touch down while the plane is still taxiing. I dispute the idea that United has a problem with pilots who seem incapable of turning off the seatbelt sign; what the US has are customers who seem incapable of following reasonable instructions when it's the least inconvenient for them personally.

I really empathize with the cabin crew trying to get people to not only stay in their seats but keep those belts on. When I've had bladder pressures toward the end of flight, I've generally flagged down an FA and explained that I REALLY needed to use a lavatory as soon as it was safe -- think I've only been denied once and I understood why in that case (very rough conditions all the way through approach).
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LordHamster
The first aborted landing/go round in this case should have been a clue to the clueless and impatient that it's a bad idea to get up and futz with a bag in the overhead bin at that time.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
After over 40 years of flying, I've been on a few where it seemed the seat belt never went off but I find it's far Far FAR more common that passengers just decide for themselves that they can ignore the instructions and seat belt light, especially after touch down while the plane is still taxiing. I dispute the idea that United has a problem with pilots who seem incapable of turning off the seatbelt sign; what the US has are customers who seem incapable of following reasonable instructions when it's the least inconvenient for them personally.

I really empathize with the cabin crew trying to get people to not only stay in their seats but keep those belts on. When I've had bladder pressures toward the end of flight, I've generally flagged down an FA and explained that I REALLY needed to use a lavatory as soon as it was safe -- think I've only been denied once and I understood why in that case (very rough conditions all the way through approach).
I think there's a bit of both (and a bit of a chicken-or-egg going on as a result).

I recently had a half dozen segments between OZ and OM and in both the seatbelt sign was off at 10,000 feet and generally remained off unless it was getting really shaky -- and as soon as things cleared up it was back off pretty quickly. Without exception, when the sign was on passengers got down and stayed down. I would think, at least, that they believe the sign is an accurate indicator of their relative safety.

On UA on the other hand the sign is default on and only seems to be turned off if someone happens to remember -- and then more than three bumps in a row and it's back on. The result is people view it more of a "caution: hot surface" sign or an overly sensitive smoke detector -- something there to mitigate the airline's liability if someone gets up and gets injured while the sign is on, but not a great indicator of the relative danger. I was on a ORD-PEK last month where I swear the sign was on from takeoff to touchdown -- finally my bladder couldn't take it.

Personally, I generally am in my seat and belted for the entirety of the flight but sometimes, especially on a TPAC when you gotta go... If I'm on UA and the sign is on but the ride has been clear for 10+ minutes without any kind of PA from the flight deck I will seriously consider taking my chances.

On the other hand if there's a "Flight Attendants - Take Your Jumpseats" or worse "Flight Attendants Get Down Stay Down" PA from the flight deck I'm pulling the belt a little tighter and my bladder be darned....
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
..... chased down and overtaken on the jet bridge by elites gripped by the pathological fear that they will be unable to stow their carry on precisely over their seat
I've been guilty at times of being a gate loose. Its generally based on 3 factors, plane type, my seat location and plane load. I don't have any fear that my carry ons won't precisely over my seat, but I would like them to be in the overhead, at least a couple of rows near my seat. I tend to have 2 carry ons which are more of the personal size and much smaller than rollers. Neither one will fit under an economy aisle seat on most of UA planes.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Personally, I generally am in my seat and belted for the entirety of the flight but sometimes, especially on a TPAC when you gotta go... If I'm on UA and the sign is on but the ride has been clear for 10+ minutes without any kind of PA from the flight deck I will seriously consider taking my chances.
That's generally my criteria when the seat belt light never seems to go off, but add in the additional factor of if the FAs are up and about doing their business in the cabin.

Last edited by drowelf; Oct 3, 2018 at 9:12 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I think there's a bit of both (and a bit of a chicken-or-egg going on as a result).
On the other hand if there's a "Flight Attendants - Take Your Jumpseats" or worse "Flight Attendants Get Down Stay Down" PA from the flight deck I'm pulling the belt a little tighter and my bladder be darned....
Mrs. Swede freaks out that the slightest bit of turbulence. I tell her that I'm not worried unless the FAs are worried. I've been fortunate to have not seen an FA worried.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drowelf
That's generally my criteria when the seat belt light never seems to go off, but add in the additional factor of if the FAs are up and about doing their business in the cabin.
Those are my wife's criteria as well and she adds to that if she sees some fellow passengers rushing to the toilet. But, invariably, the FAs decide that she's a good candidate to be told in a loud voice to return to her seat. Happens on international long hauls when we are in Polaris Business and on domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.