Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN and DEN-PTY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
"At UA's discretion" are the most important words in the entire rule. That means UA doesn't have to make any effort to reroute you. And (C)(4) is directly on point in the event UA, in its discretion, opts not to reroute you. Because a refund is the only remedy you can actually insist on.

Hope this works out for.
I've started looking for laws in Hong Kong now... since that is where my travel originates. I'm hoping maybe they've some semblence of a hold over from their colonial days and might have more protection. Apparently the country where travel commences controls here. Thank god they do their laws in english

The CX CoC is quite passenger friendly:

10.2.2 Except as otherwise provided by the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention or applicable law, if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at your destination or Stopover destination, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a confirmed reservation, we shall, at your option, either:

10.2.2.1 carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charges and; where necessary, extend the validity of your Ticket; or

10.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another Carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional charge. If the fare, and charges for the revised routing are lower than what you have paid, we shall refund the difference;

10.2.2.3 or make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11;
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Sad but true. CO Mike and Air Mike had a somewhat unique product that differentiated them in the market. However, that has morphed and combined with a bad reputation it makes it hard for UA to compete against other Asian carriers.
Read this thread at a late stage...I thought the Micronesia routes were one of CO's hidden jewels from a profitability standpoint due to the constant flow of government related workers to various islands in the Western Pacific and the relative lack of competition. I read upthread that Delta? has managed to replace UA on some of the GSA related contracts. Is that correct-Air Mike/CO Mike is no longer a desirable subsidiary of the integrated airline?

I know from paying closer attention to labor related issues with the current airline that the labor groups have been all but forgotten.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:30 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Ugh.. was wondering why I couldn't see ICN flight in December.... trying to get to GUM cheaply in early Dec for a few days. Cabotage rules kinda suck.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Read this thread at a late stage...I thought the Micronesia routes were one of CO's hidden jewels from a profitability standpoint due to the constant flow of government related workers to various islands in the Western Pacific and the relative lack of competition. I read upthread that Delta? has managed to replace UA on some of the GSA related contracts. Is that correct-Air Mike/CO Mike is no longer a desirable subsidiary of the integrated airline?

I know from paying closer attention to labor related issues with the current airline that the labor groups have been all but forgotten.
GUM *was* the crown jewel BUT the GSA contracts and plane switch killed them on Guam. The lost a lot of HVFs and general supporters. To be fair, UA is still a good community partner but it's not enough to make up for the mistakes at the beginning of the transition.

I could see UA pulling back at GUM and not calling it a hub and just focusing on certain Japan cities, the island hopper and HNL service.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
GUM *was* the crown jewel BUT the GSA contracts and plane switch killed them on Guam. ....

I could see UA pulling back at GUM and not calling it a hub and just focusing on certain Japan cities, the island hopper and HNL service.
GUM, meet CLE
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
GUM *was* the crown jewel BUT the GSA contracts and plane switch killed them on Guam. The lost a lot of HVFs and general supporters. To be fair, UA is still a good community partner but it's not enough to make up for the mistakes at the beginning of the transition.

I looked, and Delta now runs (all on 757-200s):

GUM-NRT x3
GUM-NGO x1
GUM-KIX x1
SPN-NRT x2

I don't recall these flights being around when I was flying NW (before going back to UA) were they added to compete with UA post 2011? Or have they always been around? Just curious, its a part of the network I don't know, and have always assumed that UA had no real competitors ex-US micronisia hence them slashing the product.

And I assume that the HVF traffic from UA's flight to HNL now goes to NRT and then on to the US on DL from there?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:07 pm

Definitely around back in the Northwest days - I know the 747-200's were used on some of these routes at one stage years before the DL merger
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Originally Posted by transportprof
GUM, meet CLE
Just remember, its not your fault.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
I looked, and Delta now runs (all on 757-200s):

GUM-NRT x3
GUM-NGO x1
GUM-KIX x1
SPN-NRT x2

I don't recall these flights being around when I was flying NW (before going back to UA) were they added to compete with UA post 2011? Or have they always been around? Just curious, its a part of the network I don't know, and have always assumed that UA had no real competitors ex-US micronisia hence them slashing the product.

And I assume that the HVF traffic from UA's flight to HNL now goes to NRT and then on to the US on DL from there?
All these flights were in operation with NW. There as also a KIX-SPN route started in summer of 2008 but that got cancelled sometime in 2009. NRT- SPN, NGO- SPN/, NGO-GUM, KIX -GUM were operated by 757, shortly before the merger I think SPN got a 747. The good old days flying the red tail
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Sydneyair
Since UA has no JV/ATI/JBA with Asiana, such a move may be considered anti-trust ?
For the record, UA does have an active ATI with OZ.

DOT Docket: DOT-OST-2003-14202 (Approved on May 18, 2003)

Originally Posted by entropy
Maybe its time to spin off CO Micronesia ?

It kind of exists in its own universe, maybe its worth something to a more local player...
Why not spinning off the entire pmCO instead?

There is no local player per se. UA is the only player. Even DL did not fly GUM to any U.S. states.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
"At UA's discretion" are the most important words in the entire rule. That means UA doesn't have to make any effort to reroute you. And (C)(4) is directly on point in the event UA, in its discretion, opts not to reroute you. Because a refund is the only remedy you can actually insist on.
Its not at UA's discretion if the flight departs from an EU airport.
EC261/2004 overwrites the United CoC.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Nostalgia.

UA has excellent non-stops LAX-MEL on the Dreamliner. Indeed, CO does serve AU.
They do, but service and food is just abysmal compared to QF and NZ
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by warakorn
Its not at UA's discretion if the flight departs from an EU airport.
EC261/2004 overwrites the United CoC.
Rule 24

2) Non-U.S.A. Origin Flights - Where the UA flight originates outside the U.S.A., the following provisions apply to a Passenger who has a Ticket and a confirmed reservation on a flight:
a) If local or international laws regulate Change in Schedule, Force Majeure or Schedule Irregularity events, then the procedures in Rule 24 will not be applied.
b) If no local law otherwise regulates Change in Schedule, Force Majeure or Schedule Irregularity events, then the procedures in Rule 24 will be applied.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
I'm hoping maybe they've some semblence of a hold over from their colonial days and might have more protection.
Sorry, but you are in a wrong direction.

Consumer protection of air travel in Hong Kong is practically none. Otherwise, dismayed passengers will not occupy aircrafts for compensation. Sorry to say - CAD is on the side of CX, not even the industry.

If you want to know how the colonial influence impacts Hong Kong, see EC 261/2004 (even the U.K. does not have prior comprehensive protection).

Apparently the country where travel commences controls here. Thank god they do their laws in english
Actually no - it will be either the country of registration of local law, whichever is the stricter.

The CX CoC is quite passenger friendly
So to be fair - would you mind telling me what is the penalty, in the case of CX fails to comply its CoC?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ozflier
They do, but service and food is just abysmal compared to QF and NZ
Depends on the crew, though -- I've flown all three and have had some tremendous UA crews and so-so Qantas crews (and to your point, a couple really, really bad UA crews). I try not to make generalizations anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.