Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN and DEN-PTY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:23 am

If they can replace GUM-ICN with ICN-mainland US (preferably EWR), and GUM-CNS with CNS-NRT, I'll be all for it. Not holding my breath...
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Glad I saw this. We had BKK-ICN-GUM-HNL between Christmas and NYE, they rerouted us BKK-ICN-SFO-LAX-HNL. Had them fix to BKK-ICN-NRT-HNL (much preferred) now hoping the waitlist from I to O on NRT-HNL will clear as it is one of those anomaly flights with no additional miles needed since the intra-Asia is in *A Business.

Happy to actually be flying NRT-HNL as the equipment is a big upgrade from the domestic 777 from GUM-HNL.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wonder if the UA brain trust ever thought about extending the GUM-CNS flight to BNE instead of cutting it?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Surprising that GUM wasn't cut sooner, given that up to 2 daily nonstop options operate from Japan.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder if the UA brain trust ever thought about extending the GUM-CNS flight to BNE instead of cutting it?
I flew GUM CNS back in 1990 on Air Mike (DC-10). Long time ago, but I seem to recall they went GUM --> CNS --> BNE --> GUM (or BNE--> CNS)for a short time. When I flew it (First class award) there were so few passengers I ate and relaxed in F, but went back to Y to grab an empty row for sleep (F was just basic domestic seat).
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:53 am

Sad to hear about CNS - though was verrrrry empty when I flew it. The direct Japan-CNS services from Jetstar (and one-stop connections via NRT to other JP cities) must be hurting UA

Originally Posted by transportprof
Most of the Japanese traffic is to OOL not BNE where there is already nonstop service with JQ
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Damn it. Just checked my ticket and the GUM-CNS leg has been removed on my awesome reward ticket from HKG-GUM-CNS-AKL-CHC in business for 25K miles October 9th. I'll let folks know what my reroute is when I call them.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by schriste
I flew GUM CNS back in 1990 on Air Mike (DC-10). Long time ago, but I seem to recall they went GUM --> CNS --> BNE --> GUM (or BNE--> CNS)for a short time. When I flew it (First class award) there were so few passengers I ate and relaxed in F, but went back to Y to grab an empty row for sleep (F was just basic domestic seat).
^ Those WERE the days!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by pdxdtm
Damn it. Just checked my ticket and the GUM-CNS leg has been removed on my awesome reward ticket from HKG-GUM-CNS-AKL-CHC in business for 25K miles October 9th. I'll let folks know what my reroute is when I call them.
Rebooked on a partner instead of domestic first class for free... doesn't sound too shabby to me
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's too bad about CNS. I was looking to position there during the 2012 total solar eclipse and UA was very nearly the only available *A service (there is NZ from AKL seasonally and, not quite *A, Silkair from SIN).
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:39 pm

Schedule on GUM-ICN wasn't attractive at all (although, ICN-GUM schedule is very nice). UA should have departed 3-4 hours earlier so that the passengers don't have to make an additional day off their work. One less vacation day is super critical to Koreans. UA could do that but didn't - UA didn't care what Koreans would like from the beginning even though this route is supposed to be filled almost all by Koreans. No wonder this route has failed.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
'Back in the day' CO used to fly SYD-GUM and then on to the other islands.
Micronesia was then one of the 'secret spots' for Australians to enjoy a relatively cheap Pacific island holiday away from the usual Vanuatu/Fiji/New Caledonia.
Many a happy time spent on Saipan
O well......
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Rebooked on a partner instead of domestic first class for free... doesn't sound too shabby to me
There aren't a lot of partners who are serving these routes. My first call this afternoon was definitely not good news. United basically said if they don't fly the route, and there aren't partner award seats available, I'm SOL. The agent suggested I call back in a few days when they've developed a plan for those of us with tickets booked. The agent today basically said I'll need to find a new reward flight that's available otherwise she can't do anything. Errrrrrrrrr.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I wish they would add a tag to Cairns (or Brisbane) onto Guam to Palau flights, like they already do to Manila. This would allow Australians to access Palau, while maintaining a link to Cairns.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:22 pm

Looks like DEN-PTY is really going away. My flight LAX-DEN-PTY in Nov got changed to LAX-IAH-PTY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.