Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN and DEN-PTY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
That's interesting. I hadn't seen that rule when reading the CoC. I would argue Rule 24 C 2 is more on point:

At UA’s discretion, reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities;

I guess I can't push them too hard since its at their discretion, but I hope they come up with something good. Figure I'll give them til the end of the week to reach out to me and then follow back up.
"At UA's discretion" are the most important words in the entire rule. That means UA doesn't have to make any effort to reroute you. And (C)(4) is directly on point in the event UA, in its discretion, opts not to reroute you. Because a refund is the only remedy you can actually insist on.

Hope this works out for.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Surprising that GUM wasn't cut sooner, given that up to 2 daily nonstop options operate from Japan.
The GUM/CNS brought Japanese to Cairns from all the other large cities in Japan - Fukuoka, Sendai, etc. Japan isn't just about Tokyo. . .
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
UA is also looking to add frequencies to the new GUM-PVG route. China is the 'new frontier' for the Guam operation.
I agree. It's odd however that UA hasn't seen the value of the GUM/CNS service in this light. Like Japan previously, a network of "feeder" flights to GUM connecting to the CNS service would be a very good alternative to transiting the big cities in China. Cairns is proving a very popular destination with the Chinese, like as with the Japanese in the 80's and 90's.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I agree. It's odd however that UA hasn't seen the value of the GUM/CNS service in this light. Like Japan previously, a network of "feeder" flights to GUM connecting to the CNS service would be a very good alternative to transiting the big cities in China. Cairns is proving a very popular destination with the Chinese, like as with the Japanese in the 80's and 90's.
ITI TWOV, the lack thereof.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
ITI TWOV, the lack thereof.
Bingo - that is why Guam sought China to be added to their regional VWP or parole authority. That isn't going to be happening anytime soon. They need to bank on the new 10 year validity of visas to hope that Chinese numbers coming to or thru Guam jumps
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
United has badly damaged its brand in asia. Asians know that United is late or cancels, and that is planes are dank/dirt, and its food is gross. Why would any Japanese or Korean in their right mind fly United rather than JAL, ANA, Korean, or Asiana? There are also discount carriers that have a much lower cost structure than UA does, and offer a better flight experience.

I don't think that UA (with numerous well publicized CS failures in China) is going to attract anyone in China other than on price, but then there is the visa issue others have noted.

United can only compete on price at this point, and given its cost structure is higher than most other airlines this is not a winning proposition, so flight/capcity cuts are not surprising.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by spin88
United has badly damaged its brand in asia. Asians know that United is late or cancels, and that is planes are dank/dirt, and its food is gross. Why would any Japanese or Korean in their right mind fly United rather than JAL, ANA, Korean, or Asiana? There are also discount carriers that have a much lower cost structure than UA does, and offer a better flight experience.

I don't think that UA (with numerous well publicized CS failures in China) is going to attract anyone in China other than on price, but then there is the visa issue others have noted.

United can only compete on price at this point, and given its cost structure is higher than most other airlines this is not a winning proposition, so flight/capcity cuts are not surprising.
Sad but true. CO Mike and Air Mike had a somewhat unique product that differentiated them in the market. However, that has morphed and combined with a bad reputation it makes it hard for UA to compete against other Asian carriers.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:02 am

I don't agree with any of this, and I've flown to and thru GUM quite often since UA took control of the AirMike routes. The planes are exceptionally clean, the food just fine. The Japanese are much less "nationalistic" about airlines than the Koreans, IMHO. These planes to Cairns were chockablock until the AU$ took a nosedive. Australia is one of the most expensive countries to visit (and to live) in the world.

The visa issue is of major import, but the Australians have a visa agreement fully in place. And any so-called CS failures must be viewed in the Chinese context - the whole country operates on CS failures at every level. It's not an issue.

UA was stupidly overpriced on the CNS route to and through GUM to north Asia. AU$2200 to Sendai or Sapporo during the ski season just was stupidly over-the-top. No amount of cajoling by CNS residents of UA management could get the fares to be even nominally competitive with JQ.

It's almost like UA Guam has a death wish. . .
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
UA was stupidly overpriced on the CNS route to and through GUM to north Asia. AU$2200 to Sendai or Sapporo during the ski season just was stupidly over-the-top. No amount of cajoling by CNS residents of UA management could get the fares to be even nominally competitive with JQ.

It's almost like UA Guam has a death wish. . .
Message from CNS residents to UA: "We'd like you to make your airfares more competitive."

UA response: "We quit."

Like many UA HVF--and soon-to-be former first class passengers--CNS residents have learned what it feels like to be Smisek-ed. I agree with you that the termination of service to CNS raises questions about the plans for GUM.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Like many UA HVF--and soon-to-be former first class passengers--CNS residents have learned what it feels like to be Smisek-ed. I agree with you that the termination of service to CNS raises questions about the plans for GUM.
GUM is struggling a little right now. The airline will blame it on the weak Yen. They continue to forget that they lost a TON (dare I say majority) of HVFs on Guam to Delta who poached them after they changed the GUM-HNL aircraft and overall service standards fell.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by mh3265a
GUM is struggling a little right now. The airline will blame it on the weak Yen. They continue to forget that they lost a TON (dare I say majority) of HVFs on Guam to Delta who poached them after they changed the GUM-HNL aircraft and overall service standards fell.
And DL won a lot of GSA contracts that were always CO's. And the incompetence known as Cape Air made UA lose SPN too to DL. SPN-USA traffic should not have been affected that much by the CNMI economy.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I don't agree with any of this, and I've flown to and thru GUM quite often since UA took control of the AirMike routes. The planes are exceptionally clean, the food just fine. The Japanese are much less "nationalistic" about airlines than the Koreans, IMHO. These planes to Cairns were chockablock until the AU$ took a nosedive. Australia is one of the most expensive countries to visit (and to live) in the world.
If the fall in the AU$ caused them to loose traffic, it was not the loss of Asians, but Ausies that was at issue. A falling AU$ should result in more traffic from asia, not less.

As to UA's reputation, I am often in Japan/China/HKG, and we have friends in all three places. Mention UA to them, and the responses are that its rather pitiful. They have all seen the bad press. E.g. was just in HIJ, with family friends, we ended up staying another half day as Asiana cancelled our am flight out and we switched to ANA/UA. The response of our friends (who travel often) to hearing this was "sorry you have to fly UA"

But I think the rep is worse in China at this point, as UA has been hit by multiple bad press on riots and passengers stranded for several days at PEK/PVG.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:19 am

JOSECONLSCREW28 - our authority on all things GUM - has been noticeably silent in this thread. I wonder what his take is on UA's upcoming flight cutbacks out of GUM.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
nostalgia

Originally Posted by zrs70
CNS is sad. CO always could say they flew to Australia.
Nostalgia.

UA has excellent non-stops LAX-MEL on the Dreamliner. Indeed, CO does serve AU.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Still no update or plan from UA after a follow up call last night.

Not sure how long this should take or what their plan is, but starting to get really frustrated that UA still hasnt reached out to me in almost a week. Theres definitely no other available reward tickets to the South Island of New Zealand currently. I did find seats on a HKG-BKK-SYD (in X ) and booked that as a holder, but no flights from SYD-ZQN/CHC within a week of when I want them.

I've even taking to tweeting at UA for information. More to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.