-weak JPY/AUD a contributing factor

•GUM-ICN ends Sept. 30th
-too competitive with Jeju, Jin Air, and KAL

•DEN-PTY is also on the chopping block

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Jul 18, 2015 at 1:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
CNS is sad. CO always could say they flew to Australia.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
DEN-PTY is also on the chopping block
Where'd this come from? The last thing I heard was that they were looking at adding a second flight. DEN-based CH2M Hill, which is the major contractor in the Panama Canal expansion, must be feeding a lot of this flight.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I was just explains to a an Aussie friend flying to CNS from GUM by way of the Island Hopper.

It's a flight I wanted to take next year.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:04 am

I think this October would have marked one year for the GUM-ICN service. When my aunt worked for Air Mike in the late 90's as a f/a, the GUM-ICN route was one of the first to get axed. I don't understand why UA just couldn't compete on this route or maybe the competition shred them to pieces. But the Korean market is so important to GUM, second to Japan. I'm surprised they cldn't save the route. I'm very surprised about CNS as this service has been around since the mid to late 90's when Air Mike also launched service to NOU. This is sad because UA is only now replacing the air mike based 738's with mainline 738's equipped with scimitars, economy plus, and personal entertainment systems - all the subtitles were also in Korean. Oh well, as sad as I am, I am looking forward to NH commencing Tokyo to SYD service so the removal of CNS is no biggie for me - even if I have to fly up to Tokyo and back track past GUM to get to SYD. Maybe we'll get better routes out of GUM, say a non stop to SIN? Maybe?

Last edited by trust77; Jul 18, 2015 at 4:06 am
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:08 am
Suspended

Link of announcement please ? I went to wiki and AirlineRoute and found nothing

GUM-ICN is not surprising when KE is flying 744s while UA is doing 738s. GUM-CNS is really surprising considering UA (air mike) has a monopoly there.

But I fail to see how cutting these 2 rather bespoke routes can be linked all the way to ruining the "greatest route network" that OP is alleging.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
CNS is sad. CO always could say they flew to Australia.

^ CNS is such a wonderful place and I really enjoyed taking that flight after coming in off the Island Hopper.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
For sure? I'm booked on a GUM-CNS flight for Jan on an award ticket. Have no idea how I'll get there now.

Just looked at the reservation. Yep, the GUM-CNS leg has just disappeared. No notice from UA or anything.

Last edited by manneca; Jul 18, 2015 at 6:32 am
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Dammit.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
first DPS and now CNS? very sad.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
CNS was almost entirely driven by connecting traffic from Japan and ongoing JPY weakness must be really hurting the GUM operation overall.

It's interesting to see how quickly UAL is now willing to pull the plug on new routes. Traditionally, international flights require a long period of time to mature.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Very sad. Knew the ICN flight was having very low load factors. Part of the problem was the timing on the flight but a lot of competition on those routes. Surprised that UA hasn't tried to get OZ to fly one of their A321s to GUM.

I think, as others have stated, the JPY weakness is really impacting GUM flights. They've cut a lot in the last year on GUM. It'll be interesting to see if they add any flights once the military build-up and construction starts in earnest at the end of this year and into next year.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Very sad. Knew the ICN flight was having very low load factors. Part of the problem was the timing on the flight but a lot of competition on those routes. Surprised that UA hasn't tried to get OZ to fly one of their A321s to GUM.

I think, as others have stated, the JPY weakness is really impacting GUM flights. They've cut a lot in the last year on GUM. It'll be interesting to see if they add any flights once the military build-up and construction starts in earnest at the end of this year and into next year.
Since UA has no JV/ATI/JBA with Asiana, such a move may be considered anti-trust ?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Sydneyair
Since UA has no JV/ATI/JBA with Asiana, such a move may be considered anti-trust ?
You're coming at this the wrong way.

In the absence of anti-trust immunity, UA can't coordinate schedules, fares, or capacity with Asiana to try to keep the UA-operated flight. It can independently drop all the flights it wants.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Maybe its time to spin off CO Micronesia ?

It kind of exists in its own universe, maybe its worth something to a more local player...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.